Dollar & peso: 2010 forecast

One bag of lentils, one can of tomatoes, one garlic clove, and one onion are enough for a big pot of lentil soup that lasts about four days.

In Colonia we are on a crummy dirt road, and when the creeks are up there's no way out - we have to wait until the water goes down to get to the store. Nothing spurs creative cooking more than having to make do with what's in the larder.

Then, lentil soup gradually evolves into lentil-and-whatever-is going-to-go-bad-if-we-don't-use-it stew.

HHAHAHAHA...why you in Colinia you get lost.It is in Uruguay?Dahl is more exotic like I say....."chana dahl" etc....chuck in a "hand of pork".....not refering to the "hand of god" by the little "porky bloke" Madona....HAHAHA suert....

Michael_CA said:
I don't understand why the government is still having such problems. We have been doing case studies on Latin America, and we've learned the kinds of things that the Arg gov should be doing to work its way out of inflation, and yet it just seems to make the opposite decisions and make things worse for itself. Will it ever learn? Unfortunately 50 years of economic mismanagement seem to say no.

Most Argentinians find North americans like you Micheal arrogant in the extreme. Why did your government in 2009 have a defense budget of over one trillion dollars . This is obscene and outrageous when you consider how much more good could be done with that money .

http://www.independent.org/blog/?p=5827

National Security Outlays in Fiscal Year 2009
(billions of dollars)Department of Defense 636.5 Department of Energy (nuclear weapons & environ. cleanup)16.7 Department of State (plus intern. assistance)36.3 Department of Veterans Affairs95.5,Department of Homeland Security51.7,Department of the Treasury (for Military Retirement Fund)54.9,National Aeronautics & Space Administration (1/2 of total)9.6 Net interest attributable to past debt-financed defense outlays126.3Total1,027.5Source: Author’s classifications and calculations; basic data from U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2011 and U.S. Bureau of the Census, Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial

The USA is only wealthy because it can print money thats all and the rest of the world accepts that paper monolopy money even though it is not backed up with any real asset.

And you guys are telling Argentina how to run their economy .
Get your own house in order .......................

cabrera said:
And you guys are telling Argentina how to run their economy .
Get your own house in order .......................

Are you seriously suggesting that the US economy is in a worse state than the Argentine economy? And you're from which planet?!

And I don't see where Michael_CA is telling anybody how to run their economy! He's passing comment based on his opinion and is quite entitled to express it here - a site for expats to talk about BA/Argentina.

If you as a guest would like to have a go at US economics, feel free to start a new thread on the World Politics forum and the rest of us will happily ignore it.

hth
Al (not an American, before you start with the insults)

Do you A): Believe every able-bodied person contributes the same amount to society and therefore deserves to enjoy the same amount if its fruits,

or do you B): Believe that not every able-bodied person contributes the same amount to society but they should still enjoy the same amount of collective fruits as those who work hard?

And that is the reason why USA does not have Health Insurance (oh, sorry, "Universal" health insurance).

Sweden. I want Sweden. And Norway. Ok, give me France.

And people contributes differently to society, and after covering the BASIC needs (security, health, even education to secure equality of oportunity) for all in the same way each one should receive differently according to his/her contribution.

And that is very different from a society of aristocrats and peasants, as Chile is.

Earlier in the thread I stated the poverty rate in Chile has been cut to about 14% today from roughly 28% in 1980. In Argentina the poverty rate in 1980 was roughly 8% and today per government figures the number is about 14%. Of course many do give the official numbers much credibility, unofficial estimates put the number at 30-35%.

Responses to this have been rather cryptic. Some mumblings about Chile being the land of peasants and aristocrats, or inequality is still greater in Chile without providing anything to back it up.

If you have been in Argentina for a while you will have discovered that these type of views are wide-spread and generally accepted by many if not most people, despite all the evidence to the contrary. This lies at the heart of the problems here and why the country is unable to change. I do not see these types of attitudes changing anytime in the near future so I would conclude that Argentina will continue on it's course of economic decline for the foreseeable future. I do not believe any significant change will occur until the current political and economic structure is completely discredited by it's complete collapse. I do not see a complete collapse yet and believe Argentina will continue to limp along operating at a fraction of its potential for some time to come.

You make an excellent point Bob, and that´s what´s been going on here for decades, I do believe though that the end of such line of thinking has come with the Kirchners. "Thanks" to them and their way to stress and emphazise this way of thinking it´s making realize most ppl here that it´s all B.S. and actually many if not most ppl here is now looking at chile and brazil as models to follow (granted, they still have flaws but definately have understood which direction to take in order to achieve success). I do believe that 2011 will be a huge inflection point in our history. If Kirchners win......Venezuela comes .........if Kirchner do not, pretty much any other option, whether right wing or left wing, most likely center wing will most definately start driving our boat to better shores ! If they try to pull a Kirchner, ppl will not tolerate !

-Juan

jazrgz said:
You make an excellent point Bob, and that´s what´s been going on here for decades, I do believe though that the end of such line of thinking has come with the Kirchners. "Thanks" to them and their way to stress and emphazise this way of thinking it´s making realize most ppl here that it´s all B.S. and actually many if not most ppl here is now looking at chile and brazil as models to follow (granted, they still have flaws but definately have understood which direction to take in order to achieve success). I do believe that 2011 will be a huge inflection point in our history. If Kirchners win......Venezuela comes .........if Kirchner do not, pretty much any other option, whether right wing or left wing, most likely center wing will most definately start driving our boat to better shores ! If they try to pull a Kirchner, ppl will not tolerate !

-Juan

Juan I hope you are right.

Alzinho said:
Are you seriously suggesting that the US economy is in a worse state than the Argentine economy? And you're from which planet?!

And I don't see where Michael_CA is telling anybody how to run their economy! He's passing comment based on his opinion and is quite entitled to express it here - a site for expats to talk about BA/Argentina.

If you as a guest would like to have a go at US economics, feel free to start a new thread on the World Politics forum and the rest of us will happily ignore it.

hth
Al (not an American, before you start with the insults)

You make me laugh you ignorant fool. Telling the truth is what this forum is about but I am sure that you would like this country to run like a dictatorship. This is my country and you are not going to degrade it and create misinformation as you quite clearly do in your posts.

cabrera said:
You make me laugh you ignorant fool. Telling the truth is what this forum is about but I am sure that you would like this country to run like a dictatorship. This is my country and you are not going to degrade it and create misinformation as you quite clearly do in your posts.

Show me just ONE of my posts where I have CLEARLY created misinformation or suggested that I would like this country to run like a dictatorship.

Can't find any? No, didn't think so. If you want to start calling somebody a liar....get your facts straight first.
Only one ignorant fool in this conversation buddy.

Back