Dollar sniffing dogs waiting for you on the way out.

The La Nacion article the OP posted says the dogs found USD $30k in the trunk of a car a heading to Uruguay week or so ago. I think the dogs are mainly there to sniff vehicles, cargo and luggage looking for big amounts, rather than people.

La semana pasada encontraron U$S 30.000 en un automóvil de alta paga que se embarcaba hacia Uruguay.

Can anyone who has been through Ezeiza this month confirm the continued absence of dogs there? The amount of cash I'll be flying out with next week is under the legal limit, but still, I'd like to know whether or not to expect the possibility of some dog leaping out to sniff my crotch as we make our way through security....

I just took a trip in December and there were no dogs upon leaving Argentina nor returning. In fact, when I arrived there was no control whatsoever. You can still leave and enter with the minimum of $10,000 US without declaring it.

nlaruccia said:
I just took a trip in December and there were no dogs upon leaving Argentina nor returning. In fact, when I arrived there was no control whatsoever. You can still leave and enter with the minimum of $10,000 US without declaring it.
If there is a $10,000 "MINIMUM" to leave or enter then I will have to stay put! :D

I arrived on Jan 6th and there were no dollar sniffing dogs in sight at EZE. Actually the only dog I saw was someone's poor frazzled pet being transported on a cart. That's it. :)

Of course I was coming in and not going out... not sure if that matters.

starlucia said:
Can anyone who has been through Ezeiza this month confirm the continued absence of dogs there? The amount of cash I'll be flying out with next week is under the legal limit, but still, I'd like to know whether or not to expect the possibility of some dog leaping out to sniff my crotch as we make our way through security....
Through EZE Weds, no four legged dogs sniffing around. What I wish to know is what is the desk on left as you enter security? Some people were lining up there. Is this a check for the Argentines departing with electronic stuff or what? Kind of looked offical.

dennisr said:
Through EZE Weds, no four legged dogs sniffing around. What I wish to know is what is the desk on left as you enter security? Some people were lining up there. Is this a check for the Argentines departing with electronic stuff or what? Kind of looked offical.
They are registering their devices (to prove they already had them when they departed) so they don't have to pay a tax when they re-enter the country.

There is a counter on the left as you enter security that is where you get your refund for VAT on qualified purchases. Only applies to certain purchases, usually things that are Industria Argentina, above a certain amount of money, and where you have the form from the store, which you must ask for at the time of purchase.
I am pretty sure you register your electronics downstairs, at the counter in the middle of the check in counters. You need to get your VAT form stamped there first, before you wait in line upstairs, to get your refund. (dont ask me how I know this)

I didn;t see any dogs at EZE this month. I arrived in BA Jan 3. Maybe it will change soon.
I was asked a few questions about how much money I had with me while I was waiting for my flight in Houston, TX.
And I was asked if I had more than 10K. When they let me go by, I saw some lady being searched....I think she had more than 10K.

I find this whole thing ridiculous. There are more important things like terrorist and drugs than trying to survive in a country that you can barely get by.

my two cents...

starlucia said:

Back