Dollarization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this dolarization hype. You are basically saying my country is not grown enough to manage basic things like own currency. You pass big part of your sovereignty to the country that doesn't give a single thought to you nor you could shape any policy, measure, nothing.

Own currency allows you to apply your own fiscal policies, you have control and through currency manipulation you can bear some crises better.

Dollarization doesn't do nothing you can't do with peso, if you wish so. It forces you to be disciplined, but that should be the case anyway, no matter the currency. Just stop printing surplus, and you have stable currency. Not too hard of the concept...
you are totally correct. and unfortunately, the arg govt has failed to manage this by not being disciplined and printing endless currency which allowed the situation to get to this point.

this is also partly why the US is suffering inflation too. the billions (trillions?) of dollars created in the name of COVID relief, etc. paying for others' wars. that also has the same consequence. the difference of course is the ability of the country to absorb these changes and how rapidly they occur

Would anyone even continue buying any Argentine exports if Milei's dollarization goes through (it won't, but say it does)?
Chicago Mercantile Exchange is already dollarized so when you buy soybeans you're already paying in USD whether you buy from PY/BR/AR, doesn't matter, so I don't think that would change, but like in the 90s, it makes us less competitive because our internal market would be dollarized too.

When?
A month? A year? Or did he say 15 years?

Was any of this explained to the common Argentine (el pueblo) before they voted him?
His only concrete definition was during his term (i.e. by 2027), but broadly he's talked about the goal being to do so within 1-2 years, i.e. before the midterms in 2025. I really don't see this year being a possibility, if anything more bi-monetarism being increasingly kosher, but that's not the same of course.

Everyday inflation increases and the dollar remains more or less "cheap" the more expensive it will be to dollarize. In November 2023 the cost was estimated to be around $45 Billion to do so, and I doubt that has gone down, if anything, up as the CoL has increased.

Firstly, where will the funding come from to implement this? Secondly, will the justice system permit it? These appear to be the major obstacles that dollarization must surmount. Additionally, there's the possibility of the dollar weakening, leading to inflation regardless. I'm also wary of being subject to U.S. monetary policy. However, I find Milei's suggestion appealing, which proposes the option to be paid in a currency of one's choice. This would mean maintaining the Peso as the official currency but allowing individuals to receive payment in various forms, whether in another currency or even through bartering.
This has been my question to Milei and his fans since day 1: we owe the IMF 45 Billion, it will cost about 45 Billion to dollarize, and we now owe the YPF nationalization shareholders 16 Billion, so that's already $106 Billion dollars there alone, not including any other liabilities/debts, and yet we're struggling to pay the IMF tranches when they come due, so what's the plan? We defaulted on less than 100 billion in 2001, so yeah, I'm a bit skeptical of how we're exactly supposed to get the money to make this all work.

As for the courts, (this is pure speculation on my part) I think they won't kick the hornet's nest on this one. If we somehow get the money they'll see which side the bread is buttered and ignore a denuncia from someone like Juliana Di Tullio because I think this year will prove your later point that bi-monetarism is going to be increasingly chic. This is what Carlos Melconian was arguing for as Bullrich's Economy Minister candidate and is the smarter move imo because it leaves the country with flexibility, and is already common world wide (i.e. electronics/expensive items are in USD while groceries are in the local currency) and we already do this with real estate, used cars, and hotel stays here in Argentina domestically, so it's not unheard of.

I don't understand this dolarization hype. You are basically saying my country is not grown enough to manage basic things like own currency. You pass big part of your sovereignty to the country that doesn't give a single thought to you nor you could shape any policy, measure, nothing.

Own currency allows you to apply your own fiscal policies, you have control and through currency manipulation you can bear some crises better.

Dollarization doesn't do nothing you can't do with peso, if you wish so. It forces you to be disciplined, but that should be the case anyway, no matter the currency. Just stop printing surplus, and you have stable currency. Not too hard of the concept...
This is my preferred method, can you imagine what it would have been like to be dollarized during COVID? You can't print money during times of crisis or to aid with growth, everything is tax and debt driven in another country's currency which enforces fiscal discipline sure, but this should be priority one as you stated for any government.

People have mentioned this before but the reason why dollarization likely appeals so much is due to it being scene as a shortcut, something Argentina and Argentines expect to be omnipresent for any hard choice.

Inflation is determined by US FEDS.
Now I have to go back and correct myself. My bad.
Using USD in Argentina (Dollarization) does not imply that Argentine inflation will be determined by US FEDS.
Argentine inflation is cultural and traditional and will be very hard to reverse. (Spending more than earning=inflation). Argentines are not used or need to or accustomed to work hard. They are content that they can afford asado and football. They are not accustomed to working hard slavery.

Last edited:
Now I have to go back and correct myself. My bad.
Using USD in Argentina (Dollarization) does not imply that Argentine inflation will be determined by US FEDS.
Argentine inflation is cultural and traditional and will be very hard to reverse. (Spending more than earning=inflation). Argentines are not used or need to or accustomed to work hard. They are content that they can afford asado and football. They are not accustomed to working hard slavery.
My post was accidentally posted before I can complete my question:
What is the purpose of Dollarization?

to prevent the government from being able to print its own money endlessly which leads to inflation. and secondary, force fiscal discipline since you cannot issue currency

to prevent the government from being able to print its own money endlessly which leads to inflation. and secondary, force fiscal discipline since you cannot issue currency
Ok. That will restrict and cut spending.

But what will happen to people accustomed to football para todos? I was told people in provincia never ever paid taxes not once in their lives. If there's no earning (Argentines are free spirit people ,,, no slaves) cutting spending of nothing is still equal to nothing. To increase earning you need working slave people. I don't see Argentines ( not even over 15 years) will abandono this free spirit culture and suddenly become hard working slaves.

Guaranteed people don't change fundamentally. Unrealistic. The question remains the same:
What is the purpose? What is the use?

Last edited:
many have been slaves to the government teat for decades. it will be gradual, but eventually they will realize they dont get futbol para todos anymore. hopefully you also have an improved economy with jobs available for people to also better sustain themselves

argentines are also quite resilient, its a learned behavior out of necessity. i think maybe they can adapt a lot better than those in the USA could

Resilience may somehow insinuate willingness to suffer and sacrifice.
On the contrary free spirited is a care free life style because Argentines are damn aware of the endless vast abundance of their rich resources (no matter how they screw up still needle in a haystack).

care free is not how i would describe most. if you spend 5 minutes talking to anyone inevitably you begin talking about something political or economic because it has infested almost every aspect of life. it's not as if they had a choice, they were duped by their government into believing their bullshit was in their best interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back