dollars

ghuesca

Registered
Hi
quick summary of my life:
I am going back to the US in 48 hours.
I have 2000 argentine pesos.
No one will change them to dollars at a "reasonable" rate (not even at 5p to the dollar).
I need help. Anyone who is willing to change their dollars to pesos at 5p to the dollar within the next 48 hours, please please PLEASE let me know. I am desperate. I have been to: AFIP, every bank possible, casas de cambio, cuevas, even the US embassy.*

*US embassy told me they can´t do anything because it is Argentine Law that is restricting dollars. The AFIP told me that technically I have a right to change my pesos to dollars, but said no anyway and sent me away.

If you have dollars, DONT CHANGE THEM. :mad:

need help urgently.

Hi,
Your only real recourse of action is to try and find someone who wants pesos that you could sell them to in exchange for paypal or bank transfer. Did this recently with a friend and it works fine, although you need to trust them. You could always do this in a cafe if not someone you trust or like a 'well-respected member' of the forum perhaps.

We just figured out the rate/fees, she gave me pesos and I sent her the money via PayPal -- this from a Canadian bank account to a US paypal account. From American to American it would be even easier (no exchange fees). Not sure if there would be any delay in the funds arriving in your account BUT you will get a notification that they ahve been sent.

Good luck!

I changed dollars earlier today at 5.30...5 makes a hard price to sell. I was bummed that I didn't get better as it was. Granted what you're offering is a smaller amount and therefore not deserving of a higher rate maybe, but I'd rather sell in more quantity and get a higher rate.

In fact, I think a lot of us may hold onto dollars we need to sell for expenses as long as possible because in a few days to a week the black market may pick up again (after Fernandez's comments last Friday about the agreements the government made with the bigger change houses related to the black market rate) and we'll be looking at 5.7+ again...

Money changers don't want to sell their dollars, you are looking for someone that lives here and needs to sell dollars for expenses or something, or visiting and would like to change dollars (maybe they'll accept a lower rate for a lower quantity) I would think. You may have to take a bigger loss than you were thinking to get rid of those dollars in a hurry unless someone's feeling pretty charitable.

Have you tried calling your bank in the states? My bank said they would change my pesos at a rate of about 5.1 pesos to the dollar. I know not all banks will do it, but it's definitely worth a call!!

If you are desperate, then for sure 5.10 is not the right price! Dollar was traded at 5.60-5.85 today......my dollar peso dealer did not even want to sell dollars at all today! So, you better get used to the idea of changing around 6!

I know this has been discussed on previous threads, but things change so quickly regarding all this. You now may actually be better off bringing the pesos to the US. I heard first hand that Wells Fargo will accept ARS at the rate of $4.95. For non-account holders, they charge a 2% fee. I heard this very recently from someone who is in the US right now and did this. But seriously do not take my word on it. Call Wells Fargo and confirm. Good luck.

Yeah, 5 is not exactly a "reasonable" rate in light of the current situation (last week I got 5.5 for my dollars, and I think other expats are getting even more.) You either need to settle for a less favorable rate, or find someone without access to the black market for whom 5 actually would be a decent price.

Wisconsin said:
Have you tried calling your bank in the states? My bank said they would change my pesos at a rate of about 5.1 pesos to the dollar. I know not all banks will do it, but it's definitely worth a call!!

Could you let us know what US bank is accepting pesos at 5.1? This sounds too good to be true. I have a lot of pesos to sell for dollars at 5.1.

TERKILD said:
If you are desperate, then for sure 5.10 is not the right price! Dollar was traded at 5.60-5.85 today......my dollar peso dealer did not even want to sell dollars at all today! So, you better get used to the idea of changing around 6!

Ambito is still reporting 5.95 rate, person I refer to for these things quoted me 5.80. May I add that the difference between that and the absolutely legal rate is $100 US.

TERKILD said:

I got 5.7 last Friday for a small amount traded. I think that 5.8+ maybe for more volume, but I'm not touching 5.0.

Back