Don Julio...best Steakhouse in the world?

Fervor parrilla on Posadas is also a favorite....!
Also touristy ...last time I was there the waiter introduced himself by name...Just like in the US!
Is Fervor really a parrilla? I associate it more with fish.

Don Julio is mediocre in my experience and is an overhyped tourist trap.
Elena and Mirasol de la Recova have far better steaks and both have truly outstanding and extensive wine lists.
Personally I avoid any restaurant that gets so much international attention. Even if it's good the publicity makes the owners arrogant and the places are soon overrun by tourists.

I've had dinner at Don Julio twice in the past few weeks. I also have some professional experience as a restaurant reviewer. Don Julio is certainly deserving of a reputation, for the overall dining experience. But it is also overated. The quality of the meat, for example, is matched elsewhere, especially at La Carniceria. As to the economics, paying in dollars, it's pretty much impossible to say who or what is the greatest value, but La Carniceria, for example, delivers the beef if not the overall ambiance much less the wine list, the mashed potatoes and the ice cream.

Why is that?
I think its overpriced, for a fake nostalgic view of what Argentine Asado "used to be". I know its gotten slightly better lately, but I find the side dishes to be boring and few. Particularly their takes on salads and veggies. If all I wanted was just a piece of meat, I can go to the carniceria.
There are dozens and dozens of great places to eat carne- some are more authentic, some cheaper, some more expensive. I personally lament the late great Proper, with its 1 kilo bife complemented by a half dozen small plates that were far superior to anything at Don Julio. I prefer the style and taste at La Caniceria, with its actual cuisine, as opposed to just Sunday Asado recipes at Don Julio.
Dont drink wine, so I could care less about the cellar.
I have had incredible cuts of meat at many places that are less theatrical- Julia, for example, or Sucre.
For an all around Asado, my current fave is without a doubt Corte Comedor. No fancy tablecloths or pretense, but every dish on the menu is really good, and you can duck into the adjoining carniceria and stock up on choris and bifes for the week.
An interesting side note- Asado, as we know it as a mixed grill, was invented by an Afro Argentine chef, Antonio Gonzaga. Of course, grilling meat over fire is thousands of years old, and is done all over the earth- but the particular Argentine institution, with its mix of meats, was started by Gonzaga. Prior to that, restaurants served european food, and gauchos ate meat over the fire. https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/20...-africanos-que-invento-la-parrillada-criolla/

I think its overpriced, for a fake nostalgic view of what Argentine Asado "used to be". I know its gotten slightly better lately, but I find the side dishes to be boring and few. Particularly their takes on salads and veggies. If all I wanted was just a piece of meat, I can go to the carniceria.
There are dozens and dozens of great places to eat carne- some are more authentic, some cheaper, some more expensive. I personally lament the late great Proper, with its 1 kilo bife complemented by a half dozen small plates that were far superior to anything at Don Julio. I prefer the style and taste at La Caniceria, with its actual cuisine, as opposed to just Sunday Asado recipes at Don Julio.
Dont drink wine, so I could care less about the cellar.
I have had incredible cuts of meat at many places that are less theatrical- Julia, for example, or Sucre.
For an all around Asado, my current fave is without a doubt Corte Comedor. No fancy tablecloths or pretense, but every dish on the menu is really good, and you can duck into the adjoining carniceria and stock up on choris and bifes for the week.
An interesting side note- Asado, as we know it as a mixed grill, was invented by an Afro Argentine chef, Antonio Gonzaga. Of course, grilling meat over fire is thousands of years old, and is done all over the earth- but the particular Argentine institution, with its mix of meats, was started by Gonzaga. Prior to that, restaurants served european food, and gauchos ate meat over the fire. https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/20...-africanos-que-invento-la-parrillada-criolla/
I meant why don't you like Fervor, not Don Julio. I only once ate at Don Julio and that was years ago. I didn't think it was special but maybe it's better now. Still I suspect too many tourists.

I meant why don't you like Fervor, not Don Julio. I only once ate at Don Julio and that was years ago. I didn't think it was special but maybe it's better now. Still I suspect too many tourists.
oh- sorry, I misunderstood. Never been to Fervor. If I am in that neighborhood, I am magnetically attracted to La Rambla.

Don't get me wrong. Don Julio has always done great steaks. It's always been a favorite of mine since coming to BA over 20 years ago. Been there dozens and dozens of times over the years but I don't now as it's just not worth it. Most people are sheep and they just follow the herd. Once it started making all the "Top Lists" then the lines were crazy long.

I'm not saying it's not worth going to but NO restaurant in BA is worth waiting 2 hours in line for or booking 2 months ahead of time. If you can snag a reservation ahead of time or something and don't have to wait then it is ok but expect to pay much more as much as some other places that have perfectly good steaks.

The place is just way over crowded now. It's a bit comical walking by and seeing the tremendous lines.

I’ve been once and that was during the pandemic.
Larreta was sat in the corner opposite and we had a bit of a chat with Pablo Rivero who seemed like a nice chap.

Back