Down, down, down (a peso devaluation thread)

Totally agree with Philsword, after the election the peso should sink significantly.

Okay guys - next obvious question - where is (from your experience) the best place to change pesos to dollars (in capital federal) - I think its time I topped up a bit - at least to cover my US dollar rent till the end of the year anyway...

Caz said:
Okay guys - next obvious question - where is (from your experience) the best place to change pesos to dollars (in capital federal) - I think its time I topped up a bit - at least to cover my US dollar rent till the end of the year anyway...
There are a number of decent places. I go to Paris Cambio on Santa Fe, near Esmerelda. Always with the right rate.

Reactions: Caz
Caz said:

There's no point in loyalty to any of them. On the day you want to change your money, look at www.dolarhoy.com at find the place with the best price on that day.

If you have obligations in USD (your rental contract) and the ability to start stocking up on US dollars ahead of the inevitable continued fall of the peso, it's probably a good idea.

Banco Nacion is supposed to be the cheapest place to buy foreign currency. You can also try PUENTE or PIANO. Good luck!

jb5 said:
Totally agree with Philsword, after the election the peso should sink significantly.

Could anyone shed light on what options there are here to borrow money - in pesos - without property?

natBA said:
Could anyone shed light on what options there are here to borrow money - in pesos - without property?

A good salary receipt and good credit...

Jvanka said:
I though the dollar is the currency being devaluated at the moment LOL

It is against alot of currencies, but the peso is going down with it.

What i dont understand is commodity based economies have had their currencies climbing against the US$ over the past year - AU / NZ / BR / CND, however the AR$ has gone the other way.
Is this because they are not exporting as much. I have read recently that they now export more fish than meat, and infact they were saying argentina would end up being a net importer of meat soon if not already due to the government imposing higher taxes on meat exports and many farmer swapping to soya production.

My source is what they used to call "completely informal cocktail chitchat," which of course means "worth what you paid," but I keep hearing that after the election, assuming the obvious, the peso is going further south, towards 5 to the dollar, and who knows where after that. As to reasons, look around...

Back