Down, down, down (a peso devaluation thread)

Boudou and Hans Christian Andersen, both story tellers.

To devaluate the peso to about 1 U$S = 5.25 and 1 Euro = 7.35 would be a wise move (equalling the exchange rate to the inflation in foreign currency).

Most of the export is sold in U$S and Euro and the devaluation would mean more pesos for the goods.

Each peso would of course have a lower external value, but the majority of expenses for the ordinary Argentino is food, housing, etc. - hecho en Argentina products - and more pesos means more buying power internally.

A wise move, however, only if a large proportion of these pesos are used to lower tariffs on capital goods (machinery for industry and farming) and improve education and infrastucture.

The devaluation would also increase the peso price of imported goods in general, and thus improve the competitiveness for Argentino industry without increasing tariffs.

noarmadillos said:
@Barney

Why are you worried about my student loans (made quite manageable by the two jobs I've found in the two months I've been here - I was just hired for a gig that pays in USD since my last post)? The second job - for an arts and culture magazine here - pretty much makes my nightlife free, and pays me in pesos. I've living in Palermo Soho and working a job I love at 22 years old. I couldn't possibly be living a similar life in the states right now.

And you must not understand the current state of the US economy if you're mocking recent college grads who haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field. Yes, my friends are working retail (or similarly mind-numbing forms of income) as they constantly interview in pursuit of something relevant. Right now it can take 1-2 years of searching to find something decent.

Not that there's a point to arguing with you about anything...these friends of mine are highly motivated, brilliant people...top of their class, honors program, etc. at a highly regarded state school. I don't look down on them for patiently waiting it out back in the states whatsoever, and that you would do so just exposes your ignorance.

I am doing EXACTLY the same thing you are doing and extremely happy to be here now. I know I've only been here two weeks so far (cue Barney saying I won't last 6 months either), but had a good job lined up before I came here with very concrete goals of working for an interesting company, living abroad in a big city, and improving my Spanish every single day.

I turned down a job in the states where a few of my friends are working that pays four times as much. It's in healthcare IT and we studied mechanical engineering, and I truly think some took it for the financial security instead of finding the right fit for them. I also have many other friends still looking. I wanted to accomplish all of the aforementioned things in my life and now I'm here doing that. Money can't buy true happiness.

Xeneizes said:
I am doing EXACTLY the same thing you are doing and extremely happy to be here now. I know I've only been here two weeks so far (cue Barney saying I won't last 6 months either), but had a good job lined up before I came here with very concrete goals of working for an interesting company, living abroad in a big city, and improving my Spanish every single day.

I turned down a job in the states where a few of my friends are working that pays four times as much. It's in healthcare IT and we studied mechanical engineering, and I truly think some took it for the financial security instead of finding the right fit for them. I also have many other friends still looking. I wanted to accomplish all of the aforementioned things in my life and now I'm here doing that. Money can't buy true happiness.

Write back in 6 months, I suspect scraping by in B.A. will lose it appeal. By the way if you live in Argentina it will have to be for the love of something other than money. Take a look at the chart comparing per capita income over the last 50 years or so, it's rather striking.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...dim=country:ARG:USA&ifdim=country&hl=en&dl=en

Back