Dr. Ron Paul supporter??

PhilipDT said:
My opinion is that he is most likely a homophobic misogynistic racist as suggested by the content published in the newsletters bearing his name. On the other hand, who knows, maybe, in spite of the mountains of evidence to the contrary, he didn't actually know about that stuff.

At the very least, what I do know is that he is an extremist nutbag who, among other things, wants to pull the US out of the UN, return to the gold standard and eliminate almost all federal government.

He sounds like a good bloke!

By the way - I'll be honest in saying that I'm not 100% sure exactly what Ron Paul's specific policy on the gold standard is, but as a fellow Libertarian, I doubt he's quite as extreme as what is being said here. In fact, Libertarians believe that currencies can be a free market as well, and that what backs a currency doesn't have to be gold, but ought to be something of value. Oil is a good example, although obviously not as portable or "liquid" (no pun intended) as gold or silver, etc. It could also be simply what people believe the value of a currency to be. If there is a market for a fiat currency over a currency that is based on value of something, let the better currency win!

Take a look sometime at the words of Libertarians themselves, about what we believe related to free market, currencies, etc, written in a multitude of books. It's not simple and bits and pieces are easily used against us without the context of the whole.

Of course, as usual, people in the mainstream media take bits and pieces of what Libertarians believe and twist them. Ron Paul himself is trying to fit more in the mainstream and this causes problems of misunderstanding.

One thing I feel pretty certain of - even if someone feared the most radical of Paul's beliefs, as it is in the US he wouldn't be able to implement hardly any, but his desire to rein in the idiocy at the very least would have a much more positive impact than someone who is trying to increase spending for social programs, or the military, etc, when we are drowning in debt and the value of our currency is crap.

He'd make a much better candidate for president than any other who has presented.

arlean said:
For now it amazes me that they still have faith that the news media is not lying to them and that the same people who caused it can pull them out of it. Hope springs eternal!

Yeah, what blows me away is not just that people put faith so blindly in the media, but their government! That people have blindly assumed after so much time and evidence to the contrary that your government wants to help, and wants to do it in the best way possible.

Suckers.

Really Queso? I have worked with hundreds of people in various agencies in the US government and I believe the vast majority of them sincerely wanted to improve the lives of US residents and the competitiveness of US-based businesses. I have also worked closely with dozens of government employees in NATO, the UK, Germany, Spain, the EU, and the EC; the vast majority of them also seemed to sincerely want to improve the lives of their constituents. Sure, there are plenty of bottomfeeders working in countless government agencies but a lot of people are trying to improve the world for everyone, not just themselves.

And those Ron Paul supporters who think he's a genuine Libertarian are deluded, he's a fake as is his son. Ron Paul supports some Libertarian ideas, but he has voted in favor of all sorts of legislation that contradicts my understanding of Libertarian ideology. Furthermore, if you think returning to the gold standard would somehow stabilize the American economy, improve the standard of living for more than a few people, or make America more competitive please see recessions of 1882-1885 and 1888; panics of 1890, 1893, and 1896; recessions of 1899-1900 and 1902-1904; panics of 1907 and 1910; recesion of 1913; depression of 1920-1921; recessions of 1923-1924 and 1926-1927; and the Great Depression.

Ron Paul supporter here. For the record, he is not homophobic. He voted for the end of don't ask don't tell, so that gay people can openly serve in the armed forces.

Transcript of a radio interview of Ron Paul on homosexuality:

— Homosexuality And The Military. Is homosexuality a sin? Paul says he’s “not as judgmental about that probably because of my medical background. I don’t see it in [such] simplistic terms. I think it’s a complex issue to think it’s a sin or other problems with the way people are born. It’s too complex to give an answer as simple as that [that homosexuality is a sin.]”

Does he believe God says homosexuality is a sin? “Well, I believe a lot of people understand it that way but I think everybody is God’s child, too, so, you know, I have trouble with that.”

http://archive.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=916

kurtdillard said:
Really Queso? I have worked with hundreds of people in various agencies in the US government and I believe the vast majority of them sincerely wanted to improve the lives of US residents and the competitiveness of US-based businesses. I have also worked closely with dozens of government employees in NATO, the UK, Germany, Spain, the EU, and the EC; the vast majority of them also seemed to sincerely want to improve the lives of their constituents. Sure, there are plenty of bottomfeeders working in countless government agencies but a lot of people are trying to improve the world for everyone, not just themselves.

And those Ron Paul supporters who think he's a genuine Libertarian are deluded, he's a fake as is his son. Ron Paul supports some Libertarian ideas, but he has voted in favor of all sorts of legislation that contradicts my understanding of Libertarian ideology. Furthermore, if you think returning to the gold standard would somehow stabilize the American economy, improve the standard of living for more than a few people, or make America more competitive please see recessions of 1882-1885 and 1888; panics of 1890, 1893, and 1896; recessions of 1899-1900 and 1902-1904; panics of 1907 and 1910; recesion of 1913; depression of 1920-1921; recessions of 1923-1924 and 1926-1927; and the Great Depression.

Well, first I didn't say government workers in particular were the problem, I'm talking about the people who make the laws, who allow themselves to be bought off by those who benefit from the laws, and those who pass laws for "our own good."

Also, I know have known my share of government workers. I know that they feel secure in their unions while the rest of us pay for benefits that a lot of working people don't get (and I don't want forced on them anyway) and so many that were rude, the exact opposite of helpful, and downright power-hungry over their little fiefdom.

I have no doubt that there are also very many who are employees not for the benefits, but rather because they have chosen to serve their fellow countrymen. In any event, they are just carrying out the mandates handed down by voters who think we all need to be treated the same and by politicians who have pushed this concept onto the majority of Americans over the decades.

My food just got here - have to go eat, or I'd be writing even more :)

For example, those recessions and such that you mention, how many were caused to begin with by manipulation by the government, or prolonged by the government in place of letting the market work itself out...this latest little doozy being just one set of big examples where the government, certainly along with private sector greedy idiots, helped cause the problem and then have prolonged it by meddling with the market, as if they know how to fix it.

Perhaps later.

Back