Drains!

I had a plumber come to my house once. He showed up with a paper bag full of old and inappropriate tools. Had to borrow some of mine to get the job done. That was the last time I ever called a plumber here.

The old folks who live one floor up have a leaky sink. Starting to come into my apartment . Plumber comes tomorrow. Half day work , break tiles , fix leak , etc.....

All for 350 pesos...........

For that price , I may loan him a couple tools if he needs them ! In the States , the plumbers do not even answer the phone for 35 bucks.(sorry 38 at todays blue !)

Sort of related.
Years ago in the UK we used a chimney sweep and every year he'd apologise for increasing his charges and he would say 'It's the cost of electricity you see!'
In fact he was using our electricity, but I never had the heart to argue with the scoundrel.

Is there an equivalent to Drano gel clog remover here? Pet/human hair always get stuck in the drain from the clothes washer

Isn't it called 'Mr Muscle......your very own plumber in a bottle?' or some such thing?

Is there an equivalent to Drano gel clog remover here? Pet/human hair always get stuck in the drain from the clothes washer

I use "Liquido Plomero" for that, it works well and is found in chinos.
If you want to fix it right away, it is pretty much bleach. If you have that in the house pour that down the drain, wait 30 mins and flush with boiling water.

Back to the problem- I bought a "cinta destapar cañerias" aka drain rod and plugged away but to no avail. From the patio side it travels about 6 metres and then stops, 15 minutes of plugging away yielded no progress, to the amusement of my dogs.
From the bathroom drain, where the problem originates, it travels just a few centimetres before stopping. The well is quite deep and the angle acute, I can only just get my arm down there. It seems to be hitting concrete as I scoop out grit after plugging away there.

Short of dropping a neutralisation bomb down there, I think I do need the contact details of a tecnico for this.

P.S. Gringoboy- I dig your Avatar.

I once called a plumber too, who instead of showing up with a snake, as I had requested, came with a bottle of Drano or whatever it is called here. He seemed to think the dumb foreigner would pay for him to poor that stuff down the drain. Some of these guys are re vivos!

I ended up pouring baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain, followed thirty minutes later with a pot of boiling water and plunging. That works.

Also the old buildings here have access to the drains in the floor. Once a month it is recommended to remove the plastic or metal cover, put on a rubber glove and pull out the hair and scum. Not pleasant but it works.

A final option, if your neighbors also have problems, is to call the city and get them to come by with the big truck that sucks out the garbage in the drains on the street. Apparently, in older neighborhoods the pipes are too narrow to handle all the runoff, hence the scum-sucking trucks.

Please try these options before using chemicals. The NaOH in these products can rust old lead pipes and eat through the cheap PVC pipes they sell here. This happened in my bathroom years ago and it caused a lot of water damage to the apartment below. You can also get chemical burns if it flies back up in your face as described above.

I often wonder how Gordon would handle this.

I already tried hitting it with a crowbar :p

As we are in a flood prone area (the neighbours have been flooded out several times a year for the past 38 years, hence all their possessions are located upstairs) we call in the sucker trucks often, us neighbours get together and clean the drains in the passageway about once a month and we all keep everything fastidiously clean and leaf free in the meanwhile. I know my drains (hence the exclamation mark in the subject) :p .

This is something that I feel is going to need a bit of tile breaking and reconstruction, I'm very tempted with the neutralisation bomb but the only access well is incredibly narrow and the drain pipe pokes off at a sharp angle an arm length deep. I could throw in the vinegar and the soda but it wouldn't be so effective as I couldnt seal it in.

So yes, I could really do with the number of someone reliable to do this sort of work.

Richard, I'm beginning to think that you really are Gordon with your description of all those narrow passageways. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mahara Expat Life 1