Driver License

Luigi

Registered
Hi Friends,

I have a US license, and want to get a license to drive in Argentina. We are being told I need some certificate of validation. I just cant figure out what this means. Anybody from the US know about this? I dont want to take driving classes and have to get a beginners license. Thanks!

My husband drove in Arg with his US license for years ( almost 10 ) and when he decided to get a local license, it was such a pain validating his US license that it was just easier to get an Arg license as a first timer, and so he did. He joined ACA to make it even easier. Maybe things have changed since then, but I honestly don't know. Validating US licenses was not as easy as EU or Mercosur for this purpose

Hi Friends,

I have a US license, and want to get a license to drive in Argentina. We are being told I need some certificate of validation. I just cant figure out what this means. Anybody from the US know about this? I dont want to take driving classes and have to get a beginners license. Thanks!
I got my US license apostilled in the States but they told me that the problem with US licenses and documentation is that they do not provide enough information about the driver for them to accept it as valid, so I had to start over as a beginner. You don't have to take driving classes, you just pass the written and the driving test and not drive on roads with a speed limit over 70, I think, for six months. And no alcohol for 2 years. Still a royal pain.

Last edited:
Hopefully not as corrupt here as in Peru. I have held a heavy vehicle license at home for over thirty years. I made six attempts to pass the driving test in a tiny sedan at the driving center and failed each one. Then gave up. Here, I wouldn't even bother. It's probably less corrupt, but in my case not worth the paperwork associated with the process and then the owning of a vehicle.

I got my US license apostilled in the States but they told me that the problem with US licenses and documentation is that they do not provide enough information about the driver for them to accept it as valid, so I had to start over as a beginner. You don't have to take driving classes, you just pass the written and the driving test and not drive on roads with a speed limit over 70, I think, for six months. And no alcohol for 2 years. Still a royal pain.
Maybe it helps to also obtain and apostille your driving record/driving history and also get that translated?

Back