Driver's Licence......???

Just a heads up. I too have been using an international driver's license and was recently backed into. I went to my insurance to file a claim, and then to the driver's insurance company that hit me. They would not cover me because I did not have an Argentine driver's license, even though it was not my fault.

Apparently this is common for insurance companies. I was told if you live in Argentina and don't have an Argie driver's license, your insurance as well as the others driver's (even if it is their fault), will not cover you.

soulskier said:
I was told if you live in Argentina and don't have an Argie driver's license, your insurance as well as the others driver's (even if it is their fault), will not cover you.

That's correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

HowardinBA said:
I,ll ask again.Is it the same format for uk ex-pats with a uk licence?

I live in Bariloche and took my UK drivers licence, I filled out a few forms paid my fee etc. and a few days later was issued with an Argentina drivers licence

jez said:
I live in Bariloche and took my UK drivers licence, I filled out a few forms paid my fee etc. and a few days later was issued with an Argentina drivers licence
took it where Jez?

I got my Argentine driver's license this May and found this city guide to have all of the information I needed. Here is the link:
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/guiaba/guia/index.php?info=detalle&menu=1&id=339

Since my New York driver's license had expired before I had my DNI in hand (an Argentine license without DNI is valid for only 90 days), I had to start from scratch. The only really painful part of that was traveling to Lomas de Zamora where the central licensing location is and the only location which deals with "Otorgamiento por primera vez" in Buenos Aires. I was able to complete the process in two trips. Trip one: physical exam, psychological exam, photograph, payments, sign up for the class. Trip two: took the two-day class on the one day a week when the classes are offered back to back, then took and passed the written test, then rented a car on the driving course and took and passed the driving test. I left with my driver's license.

Hello, Howard
There's a place to get your license in San Isidro, on Alsina about six blocks from Centenario, on a corner. Forgot the cross-street, but ask anyone - has been there forever.

SaraSara said:
Hello, Howard
There's a place to get your license in San Isidro, on Alsina about six blocks from Centenario, on a corner. Forgot the cross-street, but ask anyone - has been there forever.
do you mean the registro civil?:confused:

This place is about 4 or 6 blocks from Centenario - could be corner of Alberdi and Alsina. I went there with my US driver's license and got an Argentine one. The driving test was waived, as my license was still valid.

Try giving the San Isidro's Municipalidad a call - it has a good phone information desk.

Back