Drivers?

MNMom said:
Thanks for your advice. So are you saying that by having a driver, we would be making ourselves a target? Let me be clear that I don't want a flashy car and don't want a driver to have a status symbol. We are simple people and definitely stay "low key," as you recommended. I'm talking simple car (minivan?), nothing flashy. I just would want a driver because: a)it's likely going to be required by our company and b) it makes life in a new country easier and c)I'm a total wimp and would not want to brave the traffic. In addition, for example, I don't want to depend on public transportation for lugging groceries for my family of 5, etc.

Yet I don't want the act of hiring a driver to make my family a target....

I personally would avoid hiring a driver that works exclusively for your family. I would either use a car service as needed (there are tons available) or get a trusted remise service and contract them for a fixed number of hours per week. Avoid having these people in your home if possible or giving them your keys. I hope I am not making you too paranoid, but here you have to be, especially when children are involved. Also cars that you may find to be standard or low end in the US such as Minivans, toyota corollas, etc, are expensive here and not commonly driven so they stand out.

I understand what you tried to say but as adults we should know better. I have a very hard time sometimes and I was born here, not here most of my life, so you have to imagine the pressure of having to be happy with all things. However,, such generalizations would definitively not be considered "kosher" in the US abut anybody.Even if we like it or not, we are guests here and we owe some sort of respect.

Back