Driving in Argentina. (Non rental cars)

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any other Americans here know where one can get documentation to legalize their US license for the purpose of skipping the 2 year probationary period when getting an Argentine license.

The US Embassy specifically says they cannot legalize some documents, including drivers licenses. So I'm a bit confused as to where one can get this done here. Does anyone here have any experience with that?
I expect you will have to get it done in your home country. There are exceptions, for example I believe Australia can verify licenses here in Buenos Aires. In my case, I got a certification from my (European) drivers license authority, got it notarized and apostilled, and submitted it when I went to get my license here. It should be recent (3 months max. I believe), and should have an official translation if it's not in Spanish. I didn't fulfill the last two conditions, but they let me skip the probationary period anyway :cool: YMMV.

I expect you will have to get it done in your home country. There are exceptions, for example I believe Australia can verify licenses here in Buenos Aires. In my case, I got a certification from my (European) drivers license authority, got it notarized and apostilled, and submitted it when I went to get my license here. It should be recent (3 months max. I believe), and should have an official translation if it's not in Spanish. I didn't fulfill the last two conditions, but they let me skip the probationary period anyway :cool: YMMV.
Interesting experience. Thanks for sharing.

I had another friend that went and when he told them he had a license they said he needed it legalized first and they made him do the probationary period. Just today, his wife is taking classes, and said all the Venezuelans in the class showed their licenses and had no problems even though they were not legalized.

I guess I'll have to check in the US next time I go visit and see what can be done.

If anyone else has an experience it would be much appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any other Americans here know where one can get documentation to legalize their US license for the purpose of skipping the 2 year probationary period when getting an Argentine license.

The US Embassy specifically says they cannot legalize some documents, including drivers licenses. So I'm a bit confused as to where one can get this done here. Does anyone here have any experience with that?
About a year and a half ago I got my GA drivers license notarized and apostilled in GA during a trip back to the US, but at the Roca license office in CABA they told me that US licenses (even with the notarization and apostilled) don't give enough information about you as a driver and the type of license it is for them to be able to validate your license. I saw no alternative but to go through the entire process as a principiante. Good luck.

I will add that when I drove my own car into the lot for the driving test, the employee that was going to check me in was furious that I had driven myself there because I obviously did not have a valid license. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have any sort of residency here and drive (not sure about a rental car), you must have a valid Argentine license.

I will add that when I drove my own car into the lot for the driving test, the employee that was going to check me in was furious that I had driven myself there because I obviously did not have a valid license. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have any sort of residency here and drive (not sure about a rental car), you must have a valid Argentine license.

That is a bad look, you're supposed to arrange a car you don't have to drive there, either with a friend, or you can rent from instructor drivers there (but you need to arrange this in advance, obviously). Again, it's very much YMMV, I know someone who drove himself there, was appropriately apologetic, and got to take his test.

AAA issues international driving permits, good in Argentina and in most of the world.
PLEASE NOTE: The International Driving Permit is valid for South America, EXCEPT Brazil and Uruguay. The Inter-American Driving Permit (IADP) must be issued for those two countries.

Last edited:
That is a bad look, you're supposed to arrange a car you don't have to drive there, either with a friend, or you can rent from instructor drivers there (but you need to arrange this in advance, obviously). Again, it's very much YMMV, I know someone who drove himself there, was appropriately apologetic, and got to take his test.
I was also allowed to take my driving test, after apologizing.

AAA issues international driving permits, good in Argentina and in most of the world.
PLEASE NOTE: The International Driving Permit is valid for South America, EXCEPT Brazil and Uruguay. The Inter-American Driving Permit (IADP) must be issued for those two countries.

But by law (I understand the reality on the ground is often different) this does not suffice.

But by law (I understand the reality on the ground is often different) this does not suffice.
Can you please explain? I don't know much about it, except that the local Automobil Club Argentino says that's enough. Would like to be sure it really is....!

Back