Driving in Buenos Aires

Would rather walk a mine field than drive in Buenos Aires. Plus, parking costs an arm and a leg.

It's an acquired taste. If you go with the flow and as others have said, forget all you learned in the first world it's really not a major problem. I've seen worse drivers.
Riding a motorbike is even more fun. I find it a thrill a minute personally and you get places much quicker.

if you want to drive there is a store on medrano e tucuman that you can get bullet proof windows at.

dennisr said:
Would rather walk a mine field than drive in Buenos Aires. Plus, parking costs an arm and a leg.

I find parking to be incredibly cheap here, but then again I come from NYC.

Sleuth said:
I find parking to be incredibly cheap here, but then again I come from NYC.
I have paid AR$120 for 24 hours of parking in BsAs in a residential area. That is not cheap.

gunt86 said:
I have paid AR$120 for 24 hours of parking in BsAs in a residential area. That is not cheap.

Nope. My parking has been limited to 1-2 hour stays for $6 - $10 per hour. NYC: $38+ for a couple of hours.

WOW -
Is it safe to wait for a bus, walk to locations, or flag down a taxi?
Must I always take a taxi?
Can I walk alone and be safe?
Can I be on the streets at night?
What are the safety factors for women?
Zensan

Hellek said:
agressive and dangerous - do not adhere to any rule - people approaching your car to rob it (+shoot you) when standing i.e. at a traffic light - not at all sa(f)ve - Take a taxi! - loaded gun

Hellek said:
....Nevertheless, some of the native Argentinians I know go with a loaded gun to get their car at night. And they do watch around a lot if they stop (or when it is possible, just ignore red traffic lights at night). In the province of course, the capital is not so much like that. For me, the behaviour seems exaggerated and caused by Cronica Tv, etc., but obviously I won't pretend to know things better than the locals (whose opinions differ as well of course).

I'm a native, and don't carry a loaded gun but won't stop at red lights after 10:00 p.m. Plenty of people have been robbed while waiting for the light to change in Libertador, in the Northern suburbs. At night, red lights become de facto yellow blinking lights - most drivers slow down and look both ways before crossing, but they don't come to a full stop.

As for driving in Capital, I must say that zig-zagging in heavy traffic in Libertador's ten lanes can be exhilarating, and it helps keep the reflexes honed. :):):)

Back