Driving/license req. for renting car/driving

shayla

Registered
Hello,

We are leaving for BA in about 2 weeks time and I am wondering if it is necessary to have an International Drivers license to rent drive down there?

Does anyone know if a California license is good enough?

Thanks,
Shayla

I`ve rented cars in Argentina using just my Canadian driver`s license with no problems.
I would assume it would be the same for you.
To confirm, just phone one of the big international rental agencies (Hertz, Avis, etc) and ask them.

Generally they dont ask you for the international license when you rent a car in Argentina, but at the police stops and state borders, which are many, i always get asked for the international license. Before when i didnt have one, a BA policeman once threatened to take my car away until i produced the international license, ended up just giving me a warning, but i know many people whove been fined for not having one.

We brought one just in case but i've heard mixed things about whether you need one or not. It was really easy to get so i dont see the big deal unless you're here without one. Get one before you leave just to be safe.

While on this topic, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced agency to rent a car with unlimited miles for a week or two? Thanks.

Fettucini said:
Generally they dont ask you for the international license when you rent a car in Argentina, but at the police stops and state borders, which are many, i always get asked for the international license. Before when i didnt have one, a BA policeman once threatened to take my car away until i produced the international license, ended up just giving me a warning, but i know many people whove been fined for not having one.

I got controlled about 5 times :
3 or 4 times by the Policia Federal in Capital = my French DL was fine with them.
1 time by the Gendarmeria in the province = everything ok also

Also it has been confirmed by the French Consulate that it's ok to do so.
It might depend where you come from : European DL are multilingual (Spanish incl. obviously).

For longer stays it would be better to get a local DL. Steve (from the forum) raised smartly the issue once : could make problems with your insurance (after an accident has occured) if you drive your own car.

No problem with renting a car from Avis with a NY driver's license. Be aware though, car rentals are pricey. Think mine was about 80 USD a day when all was said and done.

I once rented a car in Uruguay with a PADI Diver´s license. It passed the police stop too. Guess all you need is a foto ID card if you are a foreigner.

Back