Driving License

Gabby

Registered
Hi!

Does a foreigner (from Belgium) with permanent residence in the city of Buenos Aires and who holds an international driving license, but still interested in getting the national one at Roca 5252, need to take the driving test and submit a certficate of attendance there for the also compulsary course on the theory of driving (traffic rules)?

I read all about "Otorgamiento de licencias de conducir para extranjeros con residencia permanente" on the Gobierno de la Ciudad website and also sent a request for this information to the e-mail address provided there with no success or answers and would like to know, if possible, before the appointment date for the "otorgamiento", which is in April, 2014.

Thank you very much in advance if you know the answers for sure or if your case is similar (no guessing, please!). ;)

If you want to get the Arg license, you have 2 options:

1- Go through both driving and theory tests and get a Beginners license

2- Source a certificate issued in your home country, apostilled, translated and legalised and use that to get a local lilcense - non beginner.- you still have to take both tests.

If you want to get the Arg license, you have 2 options:

1- Go through both driving and theory tests and get a Beginners license

2- Source a certificate issued in your home country, apostilled, translated and legalised and use that to get a local lilcense - non beginner.- you still have to take both tests.

I think everyone, except Spanish and Italians, need to take the driving and theory tests.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/obr_publicas/lic_conducir/canje.php

I found the exact page that talks about "canje" and trading your license for an Argentine driver's license without having to take the tests. Indeed you must have a Spanish or Italian driver's license.

TRÁMITES DE HABILITACIONES

CANJE

Si usted tiene un registro vigente del Reino de España o de la República de Italia puede renovar su licencia mediante el canje.
Recuerde que sólo pueden renovar como canje las categorías particulares de auto (B1) y moto (A1, A21, A22 y A3).
REQUISITOS

Things must have changed, because in Olivos I just showed them my UK license and they gave me an Arg one with no tests whatsoever.(except eye test)

The information I provided is for CABA only, I don´t know what they do in other districts. But if your domiciles is in the city, those are your options.

If you don't want to have to go out to Roca multiple times the easy way to get around this is to do the theory class at a driving school. When I got mine, I signed up for the theory class at a place on Cabildo and 1 driving "lesson" -- wherein the guy just showed me what the "tests" are -- which are very silly, but the one that's so silly is the reversing around an oval. Anyway for whatever the one session cost I saved myself a trip to Roca, they booked the date for the theory test and reserved me a date at Roca for the practical, and I didn't have to waste hours and wait weeks for the practical testing date. I think the only qualification for the driving school to set it all up for you was that your foreign license hadn't expired more than 6 mos prior.

Bizarre fact:
I got my UK licence in 1977.
It expires in 2027.

Whhmmm, GB D/L is good in Argie land? Then the republic is very advanced in measuring the driving skills of those étrangères countries that can easily exchange their birth place issued ones to the Argentinean ones w/o any red tapes..But all that said, a Japanese D/L can be swapped easily for the actual ones in ie: USA, Chile,Argentina and almost everywhere in this earth without any exams. So the union jacks and the rising suns D/L are over qualified for its rigorous driving skills?...Back then, I enjoyed taking a cab ride from Ueno train station to elsewhere in Tokyo on the then very famous "Kamikaze Taxi cabs" ! Those Nipponese cab drivers can surely drive!...But at the same time, I hear that the Argies are one very aggressive pilotes as well.. Here is all about Bs As DL exams. http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/obr_publicas/lic_conducir/preguntas_B__espanol_.pdf

Back