Driving Rules?!?

NickF

Registered
I recently relocated to BA from San Francisco and just started driving. Can anyone answer the following questions:

1) When you are at an intersection with no stoplights or no stop sign (this is quite common here), does anyone have the right of way? It seems to be a game of chicken -- the one who gets scared first stops and gives the right of way to the other. But there must be a rule, right? Anyone know?

2) This one more out of curiosity... why do some people, including bus drivers, drive around at night with their lights off. They seem to do this on purpose because they seem to flash them if they are about to hit you or want you to get out of the way. I don't like this, but can deal with it. But it would help to know why. Honestly can't understand. My family and I almost got mowed down at an intersection (see #1) by a bus I didn't see driving without the headlights on.

Thanks!

a)You have to give way to the right. (is that how you say it?) but generaly it's the one who is fastest of strongest. On the other hand, if there is an accident, the one coming from the right is always right.

b)probably to save energy?:p

Thanks katti. makes sense. I may never understand the no lights at night thing.

Like many things, the technical rules and the rule of the jungle are very different.

At unmarked intersections, like katti said, you should give way to your right. In practice, you should give way to anything faster, bigger or more beaten up than your car and hesitating is more likely to get you into an accident than either stopping or committing to going through and closing your eyes :D.

As to crazy people driving at night without headlights, katti might also be on the money. It's difficult to imagine a good reason.

I found an awesome survival guide here: http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/driving-in-buenos-aires

NickF said:
I recently relocated to BA from San Francisco and just started driving. Can anyone answer the following questions:

1) When you are at an intersection with no stoplights or no stop sign (this is quite common here), does anyone have the right of way? It seems to be a game of chicken -- the one who gets scared first stops and gives the right of way to the other. But there must be a rule, right? Anyone know?

2) This one more out of curiosity... why do some people, including bus drivers, drive around at night with their lights off. They seem to do this on purpose because they seem to flash them if they are about to hit you or want you to get out of the way. I don't like this, but can deal with it. But it would help to know why. Honestly can't understand. My family and I almost got mowed down at an intersection (see #1) by a bus I didn't see driving without the headlights on.

Thanks!

No lights on at night on the autopista is damn scary...guess there's so many old bangers about that they cant run the engine and the lights at the same time...

The No Lights thing in Brazil is so that thieves can't spot you from far away and/or can't judge your speed as accurately.

I would assume that it is part of the reasoning behind it here. But then again, many things don't make since at all. That's just the way they roll.

Gringoboy said:
Driving rules in Argentina?
Where?

They drive like they walk and like they dance, you have to believe that they will not hit you. They will pass as close as possible anything more than a few centimetres is considered poor driving, "I did not hit you, what is your problem?"
The hardest thing for us etranjeros is to belive that they will miss us at a junction.
Hold your head up belive you are right and tough it out, but do not qoute me if they do hit you.

I ride a motorbike every day here to get to work.
I was stopped at some lights recently and a lady driver actually ran over my left foot and smashed her wing mirror on my bike handlebar. She didn't bat an eyelid!
Motorway exits are tricky too,as they shoot across to the exit within inches of my front wheel. Many a time I've had to get off the motorway with them to avoid a collision.
Sometimes it's just pure madness and survival is the name of the game, for me at least.

Back