Driving To Iguazu? What About The Police?

Patagone

Registered
Hi, has anybody recently (past few years) driven to Iguazu?

How was it, any recommendations?

I would love to get to know the North east a bit more, but read that the Ruta 14 was notorious for corrupt cops stopping you every few miles. Having a Gringo gace of course equates me with a driving ATM...

Not sure if that has changed at all?
Thanks!

I haven't driven in the NE but have driven in most of the rest of the country. Have had no problems with police except once and I deserved to get stopped. Long story. In the long spaces between cities I drive crazy fast with no police encounters.

T/

Hey Patagone! I was also thinking of making a road trip up there (from BA) before it gets too hot. If you end up going, let us know how it went. It's the only part of the country (the northeast) I haven't visited yet.

I would love to get to know the North east a bit more, but read that the Ruta 14 was notorious for corrupt cops stopping you every few miles. Having a Gringo gace of course equates me with a driving ATM...

Thanks!

Well, the main issue are the illegal photo fines while you are in Entre Rios.
Beside that, no problems.
You might be stop by Gendarmeria Nacional but they are super professional.
The local police is friendly but looking for fines (not brives). Beware any turn after an oil station, they expect that you forgot to turn your lights on.
trucks are a p. in the a. but I try to drive when they sleep.

Thanks!

I`ve driven all around the North on a number of occasions,probably a good 2000 miles worth. I`ve been pulled over a couple of times at traffic checkpoints where I was giving a high level interrogation of nothing more than things like what do I like about Argentina, whos my football team, who are my favourite the Beatles or the Rolling stones and then usually given a smile, good luck and have a safe journey.

I would say that you have to be a pretty confident driver in the section north of posadas towards iguazu. Its a beautiful area but very hilly, its like a roller coaster. Its mostly single carriageways apart from the climbs where it splits into two carriageways for the slow moving lorries to get up the hill. So lots of bends, hills and slow lorries all at about 70mph. I loved it but you need your wits about you. Wouldnt recommend it at night.

I drove BA to Iguazu and back two weeks ago.
There are various municipality speed camera traps in Entre Rios (nr Villa Paranacito/ Ceibas/ Gualeguaychu and impromptu in the back of small white vans) that are ILLEGAL traps set up by municipalities. If you get a fine sent through the post DO NOT PAY and it will not show on your license when you renew if you are based in Cap Fed or BA. Watch the other traffic and comply after the second Zarate bridge as you travel through S. Entre Rios slowing to 40 kmph when other do. There's often a camera on the island between the bridges after the last fishermans bait shacks which is still in BA meaning you'd need to pay that fine if you get it. North of Gualeguaychu there are no cameras.

If the police or Gen. Nacional stop you at a checkpoint they will be courteous and first ask for your license and the green card. That may be enough, but they can also ask for insurance (you need at least the last receipt), patente (again the last at least), and if your vehicle is not regeistered in Cap Fed, the M.O.T. sticker and receipt.
You also need a triangle, luminous yellow vest and fire extinguisher in the vehicle and first aid kit. I have very rarely been asked for these while driving for the last 25 years in Arg.
It's now dual carriageway to Paso de los Libres so thats a big change from the past. Its a bit rough in places between there and the Misiones border. Then either take the scenic route through the sierras via Alem, Obera and cross over to the 12 from Obera. Or and NB at present there are a lot of roadworks on the section from Posadas to Jardin America which are tedious with long jams. We took the more scenic route (as described) coming back to avoid. Alternatively you could even continue to San Pedro from Obera and enjoy the native Araucaria (Monkey Puzzle) forest there, crossing over to Eldorado and continue to Iguazu from there, esp. if you've never seen that.
Water levels are higher than usual right now at the falls. Enjoy them.

Thank you very much, everybody!

I drove BA to Iguazu and back two weeks ago.
It's now dual carriageway to Paso de los Libres so thats a big change from the past. Its a bit rough in places between there and the Misiones border. Then either take the scenic route through the sierras via Alem, Obera and cross over to the 12 from Obera. Or and NB at present there are a lot of roadworks on the section from Posadas to Jardin America which are tedious with long jams. We took the more scenic route (as described) coming back to avoid. Alternatively you could even continue to San Pedro from Obera and enjoy the native Araucaria (Monkey Puzzle) forest there, crossing over to Eldorado and continue to Iguazu from there, esp. if you've never seen that.
Water levels are higher than usual right now at the falls. Enjoy them.

Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated and very useful. We were (fam with 2 small kids) thinking about maybe visiting Esteros de Ibera on the way up or down, are there specific good places to visit that you know of?

Do you know how Ruta 14 & 101 are in the North of San Pedro? When advising to cross to Eldorado, do you mean via Ruta 20? Is that one paved as it appears to be a minor road?

I had no idea that there were any Araucaria forests outside our area (Northern Patagonia, close to the Chilean border)!

Thanks again.

The drive is beautiful, take your time enjoy, stop along the way there are many things to do. The ruins, the gem mines, like I say take your time and enjoy!

The police are professional, they dont bother you for idiotic reasons. you may get pulled over and have to answer a question or two but its better than being harassed by someone telling you you have a turn signal that wasnt blinking properly or you made an improper usage of a lane, or you car looked suspicious because you have tinted windows.

Dont worry about the police speed traps, follow the posted limits, enjoy the ride, take your time, enjoy the sites, and have fun.

Back