Dual citizenship?

laureltp

Registered
Hello. I plan on calling the embassy next week to ask them this question but I am anxious to have some answers. So... I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this. If a U.S. citizen voluntarily seeks Argentine citizenship will they risk losing their U.S. citizenship?

Ok, Laurel, the short answer is: NO, you will not lose your U.S. citizenship if you voluntarily acquire Argentine citizenship. You may hold dual citizenship.

To lose your U.S. citizenship, you have to make an official renunciation (as in a signed document) in front of a U.S. consular officer and have the express intent of renouncing your U.S. citizenship.

Now in certain cases certain acts be deemed by the U.S. government as a renunciation of your citizenship but these are pretty unique specific cases. (example: announce on North Korean TV while sippng a Mai Tai with Kim Il Sung that you "renounce your citizenship".)

Applying for Argentine citizenship, or marrying and Argentine, or going to to Plaza San Martin, downing a bottle of Malbec, 10 empanadas and ripping your U.S. passport up and saying "good riddance" 3 times is not sufficient. (But I would YouTube it).

OK Steve pass the helmet so I can duck and cover the incoming board barrage!!

Thanks for the answers. A&A that sounds like a dare. I hereby promise if/when I do this, I will go to plaza San Martin, drink a bottle of Malbec and endlessly eat empanadas while ripping up my US passport (well, maybe I'll make a photocopy and rip that instead I don't really want to pay to get a new one.)

My advice is not to rip your passport!! you may need it in a hurry some day!

laureltp said:
Hello. I plan on calling the embassy next week to ask them this question but I am anxious to have some answers. So... I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this. If a U.S. citizen voluntarily seeks Argentine citizenship will they risk losing their U.S. citizenship?
Out for a troll, Laurel? Here is from your posts on 16/8/2010
laureltp said:
sorry to start so much controversy.

If I stay here I might someday think of citizenship here. If we don't stay here and we decide to live in another country I might think of citizenship there. My son was born here and so he has Argentine citizenship and US citizenship (you have to ask at the Embassy for it). But what if we go to another country and ask for citizenship would we both risk losing the US citizenship? Then there is the question to whether or not somebody can have three citizenships. I used to think it was impossible until I met a girl with three (one being US). I guess I won't worry about it for now, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. It all is so complicated!!!

All of your questions were answered the first time you asked them. Steve was even nice enough to refer you back to the relevant thread. I suspect that for people who ask the same question in the same forum of the same forum participants in less than 2 weeks, the US State Department has a special clause for revoking their citizenship instantaneously. And yes, if a US citizen naturalizes as an Argentine citizen, the US gvmt may revoke their US citizenship. Read the law, ask the consulate, or read the detailed previous thread about it which you asked two weeks ago.

the thing is the u.s. government doesn't care about any one aquiring another passport. end of story.

i don't think Laurel is actually trolling... just trying to get a straight answer... the other thread got so... heated. Here is what the state dept. says...

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I think your post about drinking malbec and ripping up your us passport... might qualify as intent shown by conduct.. (if i knew how to do smiley faces... i'd put one here)

Back