(E)Mba At Iae

As for avoiding universities that haven't done anything "bad" in the past...good luck. UBA was associated with ERP and Montoneros in the 70s too (leftist terrorists...some here probably think being a leftist terrorist is just dandy).

As for avoiding any connection with anything to do with the last military dictatorship, here's some neighborly advice:

Be careful walking around in Buenos Aires...the militares once ruled the city. Also the rest of Argentina. Not sure how you'll avoid coming in contact with Argentina when you want to come here and study.

Don't land at Ezeiza either, by the way, the militares definitely controlled the airport. Try not to fly on any planes...the militares threw people into the sea from them. And I guess that automatically means you can't use ships to travel either since they kinda gotta use the seas to move around.

Don't grow a mustache...it automatically makes you Opus Dei since Videla had a mustache. Don't speak Spanish since they all spoke Spanish...Oh and don't even dare to think about eating any Argentine meat because OPUS DEI!!!

Coming from a country were some really bad things happened in the past I think there is a difference if an organization etc. was once under control of a group supporting authoritarian regimes, human rights violations etc. - vs. - an organization that still has strong ties to such a group. Again I am not saying that the university in question hast ties to Opus Dei as I do not know much about the university landscape in Argentina except maybe for a couple of local Universities here in the province.

Coming from a country were some really bad things happened in the past I think there is a difference if an organization etc. was once under control of a group supporting authoritarian regimes, human rights violations etc. - vs. - an organization that still has strong ties to such a group. Again I am not saying that the university in question hast ties to Opus Dei as I do not know much about the university landscape in Argentina except maybe for a couple of local Universities here in the province.

Exactly. The question was about how good the university was and not whether the OP should join Opus Dei.

go on, make fun of this tragedy.

LOL nice try. I was making fun of you and your perception that everything you don't like equals militares. I'll continue to do so since if I took your posts seriously, the fact that you're so prejudiced would be kinda infuriating.

http://www.austral.edu.ar/la-universidad/opus-dei/

Exactly. The question was about how good the university was and not whether the OP should join Opus Dei.
But if the school had strong ties to Opus Dei - then this would be an important factor. At least something to be aware of when picking a school.

But if the school had strong ties to Opus Dei - then this would be an important factor. At least something to be aware of when picking a school.

Okay sure. I wasn't aware of the connections with Opus Dei. But that brings me to the next point. So what if the school has connections with Opus Dei? I'm aware of members of Opus Dei supporting the dictatorship in Spain. But that doesn't mean they are all dictator supporters. That's extrapolation on the part of people with no evidence whatsoever. For example, it was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that some Catholic priests raped boys, but that can't be extrapolated to "ergo, all priests must rape boys." Some Muslims have committed terrorist acts against innocent people all over the world, does that make all Muslims terrorists? EDIT: In fact, if anyone said, "Beware! Its a Salafi organization and they're known as terrorists!" One would, right away, be branded a racist (even though race has nothing to do with it). Yet it seems like folks think its perfectly fine to pick at and generalize against Catholics/Christians, etc.

As far as I'm aware, and I really don't give into conspiracy theories too much so I may not have the most "in vogue" opinion against them but, Opus Dei does not officially support the idea of military or other forms of dictatorships. That members of this organization supported Franco's dictatorship is a known fact. It is not known nor proven however that its their official policy to support dictatorships.

You can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Rafael Calvo Serer and Antonio Fontan: two of the Opus Dei members who opposed Franco's dictatorship. I guess I should extrapolate then that ALL Opus Dei members must be against dictatorships then. See how silly it starts to get?

Okay sure. I wasn't aware of the connections with Opus Dei. But that brings me to the next point. So what if the school has connections with Opus Dei? I'm aware of members of Opus Dei supporting the dictatorship in Spain. But that doesn't mean they are all dictator supporters. That's extrapolation on the part of people with no evidence whatsoever. For example, it was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that some Catholic priests raped boys, but that can't be extrapolated to "ergo, all priests must rape boys." Some Muslims have committed terrorist acts against innocent people all over the world, does that make all Muslims terrorists? EDIT: In fact, if anyone said, "Beware! Its a Salafi organization and they're known as terrorists!" One would, right away, be branded a racist (even though race has nothing to do with it). Yet it seems like folks think its perfectly fine to pick at and generalize against Catholics/Christians, etc.

As far as I'm aware, and I really don't give into conspiracy theories too much so I may not have the most "in vogue" opinion against them but, Opus Dei does not officially support the idea of military or other forms of dictatorships. That members of this organization supported Franco's dictatorship is a known fact. It is not known nor proven however that its their official policy to support dictatorships.

You can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Opus Dei's involvement in dictatorships/coups goes well beyond Franco/Spain. Obviously not everybody has the same opinion inside Opus Dei. Regarding your example of Franco's Spain: From what I remember reading about the topic - the fraction opposed to Franco in Opus Dei only grew towards the end of the regime with something like one half opposing Franco and the other half supporting the regime. But that is still a large fraction supporting it and then if you look at other right wing dictatorships and coups in Latin America and you see Opus Dei's involvement when digging a little deeper - then it is becomes pretty obvious that there is a pattern.

Back