Easy Recipes?

If you like asados but can't afford costillas every night then try doing wings on the parilla.

Wings are super cheap here (about 7 pesos a kilo) , so it is easiest to cut the flapper off and rip the skin off to reduce the fat.
Here are some good wing ideas http://www.bbqdryrubs.com/new-twists-on-hot-wings/
You should be able to find the small picante peppers in the veduria. Use latex gloves and remove the seeds (hot part) and chop it up with cooking oil, vinegar and a little soy.
Also a honey/mustard sauce works good.
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]Honey Mustard:[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]1/2 cup Dijon mustard[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]1/2 cup honey[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]2 tablespoons mayonnaise[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]1 tablespoons lemon juice[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]Salt and pepper[/background]
[background=rgb(239, 235, 223)]Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. The sauce can be held in the refrigerator for 1 week.[/background]

One easy thing you can do is buy the flat circles of dough you find in the refrigerated section (the large ones marked Horneadas; don't buy the small circles which are for empanadas). You can stuff those with cheese and ham or calabresa with tomato sauce (sold here in boxes) to make calzones or empanada rip-offs by folding/cutting the dough to the size of your choosing. You can also buy the right baking dish and make a tarta with the entire circles, one for top and bottom; I made one of smashed pumpkin and ham and mozarella that is relatively easy and tasty. Cook the pumpkin in the oven, smash it, put it on the bottom, and put ham and cheese on top.The back of those dough packages also features recipes.

Black and red beans are not available canned, but once you cook those (soak for 12 hours overnight then cook for 2-4 hours and season with salt and cumin in the last few minutes of cooking) you can make burritos using Rapiditas, which are (more) dough circles that are sold by the bread. Makes a tasty burrito. Then when you get bored of those bake some potatoes (regular or sweet) and top with your beans. Add all the delightful toppings of your choice, plus you are eatin' cheaply and nutriously.

I make ham and cheese empanadas with the premade tapas and with the large pascualina tapa I make a quiche.

For the quiche, line a cake tin with a large tapa.
Fry up a chopped onion and add 1/2 a chopped red pepper, fry some more
Finely chop a few slices of ham
Chop up or grate 100g cheese
Whisk 3 eggs and 1/2 a litre full-fat milk together, season with salt and pepper
Add the onion, red pepper, ham, cheese and throw in some queso rallado and some herbs (oregano, thyme or basil)
Pour into the pastry case (if not enough to fill it you can add a bit more milk/cream) and bake for 40 mins in medium hot oven.

Pitipur, what barrio do you live in? Depending on where you live we might be able to give you names of good grocery stores. I make Mexican food all the time.

thanks for all the tips, everyone! I'm especially excited to check out the middle eastern stores because I didn't know they existed. I'll probably go crazy in there haha.

I'm living in Palermo Hollywood - my office is here, and I'm finally able to walk to work which has always been a dream of mine since I grew up in suburbia. I'm a few blocks from ave Santa Fe but only been here a few days so haven't done a ton of exploring yet to see what kind of stores are in the neighborhood

Secrets of the Trade... Buy an Uggis pizza for $28 pesos, take it home add some ripe diced perita toamtoes, sprinkle parmesano Regianno cheese on top, and lots of fresh basil....!! reheat for a few minutes and voila...!!

Never reveal the origin of the Pizza :D to your guests

Prepare a Polenta dish to Serve wit Pomarola tomato sauce.

I spend considerable time watching you tube to learn exotic recipees and therafter try them on a dailyyyy basis.

Most grocery stores have flour tortillas Rapiditos, and Carrefour sells shredded and deli cheddar cheese. Cilantro and veggies used in Mexican food aren't that difficult to find. In Disco and Jumbo you can find canned Rosarita refried beans and sometimes taco shells and in Mercado del Progreso they have all the above afore mentioned plus homemade corn tortillas and bags of corn chips that they call totopos.

Whatever happened to fresh fish and fresh shrimp. Not the crap they sell at Barrio Chino?

Back