Effects Of A Default On Expats

Alicia karr

Registered
So because I haven't lived here long enough to know from experience, and because I never studied economics in college, can this forum enlighten me and other similarly ignorant forum members, on how a default here will actually impact us in our daily lives? I don't want to let my anxiety get too far ahead of reality!

Expats that live in dollars are for a default. As always, people that hold dollars are against Argentina.

Expats that live in dollars are for a default. As always, people that hold dollars are against Argentina.

I think you should have worded that something like "a default would be to the financial benefit of expats and people that hold dollars". It's not true that I want all my friends, coworkers, and everyone else around me to be suffering financially even more just so that my empanadas will be comparatively a little cheaper against the dollar.

(That being said, I only took econ101 and while I did proudly get an A in the class many moons ago, I'm also not sure of the scope of the impact of a default )

I legally save in dollars from my peso salary. I am "for" Argentina.

I have friends who are left leaning public sector workers, where they can the save in dollars. Are they against Argentina?

Your are either ignorant or naive to make that statement. Ignorant of the reality of trying to create some sort of dependable savings (for retirement, house purchasing, foreign travel) or naive to the extreme to believe that you should tie your personal finances to the future of the peso.

If I held your opinion in much regard, I would find it offensive.

That said, I have no respect and hope the worst for anyone who hopes for a defaullt so they can greedily take advantage of a devalued peso via the blue market. As far as I can see, that type of person offers nothing to Argentina.

Argentine that save in dollars are against Argentina. I know theres this huge problem called inflation, and dollars are a way to escape from it, but the one that bets on the dollar instead for the peso, its betting against the country, is betting for other interests, is betting for the people that wants an expensive dollar. Betting for the dollar in Argentina is also betting for the US interests in the country. Or do you think that its an acciddent that the currency we re talking is the same that have poitical and economic interests in this country?

Its very little the money you can save in dollars BTW, and very little the people that do that. The INMENSE majority of Argentines are against a default.

About the most objective piece I have read:

Defaulting, if the country's officials decide to go that route, “won’t be a change from Friday night to Monday morning," said O'Neil. "But it does mean that barriers to the economy continue to get worse.”

http://www.ibtimes.com/argentina-debt-crisis-what-if-country-defaults-yet-again-1604214

Matias I am not for a default and I resent your provocative statement.. I don't want to see increased suffering for Argentines and feel terrible for them. My thread is asking about what would be the DAILY EFFECTS ON OUR LIVES if the default happens. I don't want this thread to be another political confrontation. Please start a different thread for that.

Now can someone enlighten me with an answer to my posted question, as this will affect all of us!

Matias I am not for a default and I resent your provocative statement.. I don't want to see increased suffering for Argentines and feel terrible for them. My thread is asking about what would be the DAILY EFFECTS ON OUR LIVES if the default happens. I don't want this thread to be another political confrontation. Please start a different thread for that.

Now can someone enlighten me with an answer to my posted question, as this will affect all of us!

Im sorry you did not appreciate it, but my post was indeed an answer to your question and how will affect expats. I dont see any provocation.

Argentine that save in dollars are against Argentina. I know theres this huge problem called inflation, and dollars are a way to escape from it, but the one that bets on the dollar instead for the peso, its betting against the country, is betting for other interests, is betting for the people that wants an expensive dollar. Betting for the dollar in Argentina is also betting for the US interests in the country. Or do you think that its an acciddent that the currency we re talking is the same that have poitical and economic interests in this country?

Its very little the money you can save in dollars BTW, and very little the people that do that. The INMENSE majority of Argentines are against a default.

I earn in pesos, I save in dollars. You have now accused me and the great majority of my friends of being "against" Argentina. I remember why I took a break from this forum. I am however thankful of the ignore function.

Your ignorance is breathtaking. On many levels.

Back