El Alamo-Closed By Gov

Well, you guys complain when nobody enforces he laws, and when they do it you complain too! I doubt it was a thing against expats really.

nikad said:
Well, you guys complain when nobody enforces he laws, and when they do it you complain too! I doubt it was a thing against expats really.

I don't know but my business was closed down for ABSOLUTELY no reason except I didn't do an "arreglo" with the inspectors like all the other shops on my street. Don't acuse people of being guilty until you know the facts. It's not fair especially since foreigners are much more likely to follow rules. For example I have every single requirement that is necessary by law in my shop, the inspectors even checked off every item on the list, however they closed me down anyway. So many other businesses in my area have no fire extinguishers, exit signs, insurance, bathroom in order, employees en negro and they have been operating that way for years. So what other explanation is there when they find a small fixable infraction in a business - shut it down?? Why not help the business to get into compliance instead of being corrupt?? I´ll tell you why, because it doesn't line anybody's pocket. And now there is a HUGE lawsuit pending and we are not only going after the city government, but after the employees themselves.

Davidglen77 said:
I don't know but my business was closed down for ABSOLUTELY no reason except I didn't do an "arreglo" with the inspectors like all the other shops on my street. Don't acuse people of being guilty until you know the facts. It's not fair especially since foreigners are much more likely to follow rules. For example I have every single requirement that is necessary by law in my shop, the inspectors even checked off every item on the list, however they closed me down anyway. So many other businesses in my area have no fire extinguishers, exit signs, insurance, bathroom in order, employees en negro and they have been operating that way for years. So what other explanation is there when they find a small fixable infraction in a business - shut it down?? Why not help the business to get into compliance instead of being corrupt?? I´ll tell you why, because it doesn't line anybody's pocket. And now there is a HUGE lawsuit pending and we are not only going after the city government, but after the employees themselves.

I was not talking about your case, which I followed, but if you had visited any of the mentioned places, you would understand why they were closed, they were definitely far from being compliant and clean, no saying they are the only ones in the city though.

nikad said:
I was not talking about your case, which I followed, but if you had visited any of the mentioned places, you would understand why they were closed, they were definitely far from being compliant and clean, no saying they are the only ones in the city though.

I have been to both Sugar and El Alamo, and while they are not the Faena or Hilton lobby bars, they are certainly much cleaner, orderly and better maintained than 95% of these types of businesses in Buenos Aires.

If you don't like the looks of a place thats fine, you don't have to go there, but unless there is an actual LAW being broken nobody should have their livelihood taken away. It's wrong and illegal and the last thing expats should be doing is supporting these cruel methods to Argentine nationals or expats.

Sugar once got closed for two weeks a while back for having the wrong type of ketchup bottles. They refused to pay bribes.

Davidglen77 said:
I have been to both Sugar and El Alamo, and while they are not the Faena or Hilton lobby bars, they are certainly much cleaner, orderly and better maintained than 95% of these types of businesses in Buenos Aires.

If you don't like the looks of a place thats fine, you don't have to go there, but unless there is an actual LAW being broken nobody should have their livelihood taken away. It's wrong and illegal and the last thing expats should be doing is supporting these cruel methods to Argentine nationals or expats.

I am not talking about personal preferences but hygiene. Also the fact that you were wrongfully closed doesn´t mean that all places are wrongfully closed. Whether a place is filthy or filthier, doesn´t make difference, ie there is filth!!!

It's not fair especially since foreigners are much more likely to follow rules
Not in Argentina, where there is no control and laws are not inforced. Look only at the number of illegal immigrants posting in this forum.
Moreover, usually bribing in Argentina is really likely when someone is breaking some law or evading tax, not only for the right of existing. The case of your shop was due to ineptitude of the inspectors. if they had been looking for coimas, you would have 'noticed' it...they are not very subtle.

nikad said:
I am not talking about personal preferences but hygiene. Also the fact that you were wrongfully closed doesn´t mean that all places are wrongfully closed. Whether a place is filthy or filthier, doesn´t make difference, ie there is filth!!!

Ok so your opinion of filth decides who stays open and who doesn't. Just so you know, Sugar wasn't closed down for "filth". They were closed down for an administrative item that was resolved in 3 days, but of course they had to get dealt with the way they did because they have a lot to lose. I don't know what happened in the case of El Alamo, but I am sure they were also dealt with the same way I was. I have sent a formal letter with proof of incident to the US and Eurozone Chamber of Commerce, and have let them know what has been done to us. And until there can be guarantees that we are not subject to corrupt inspectors, it is strongly advised that NO foreign companies invest in Buenos Aires. I worked for a huge multinational when I lived in the US and I've also let them know to hold of on ANY investing in Buenos Aires Capital Federal. This is not happening all over the country. It's happening in Buenos Aires Capital Federal, and Macri and his stupid administration is behind it. They are being exposed for this.

If and when Alamo opens, I'd be curious to know whether it will allow smoking throughout the downstairs as it did before closure claiming it was legally entitled to do so.

I read on another post that Sugar was closed because the date on their fire extinguishers was past... Instead of them telling them to have them recharged... they shut them down. It is about only one thing...bribes! To those that say they are inspecting...trying to keep businesses in compliance with health codes... please, get real...

Back