Elections in BA

121Spanish

Police Prepare For Election Day Expat Sobriety Riots

Buenos Aires alcoholic population “unpredictable”

Buenos Aires police have called up all reserve staff for a full show of force ahead of this weekend’s election, as a precaution against unrest and violence from angry, sober alcoholic expatriates during the ban on alcohol sales.

The ban, in accordance with national election law, prohibits retail alcohol sales at stores, bars and restaurants from 6pm Saturday to midnight Sunday. The 36-hour period is traditionally a high-risk period in areas with high concentrations of expats.

“Due to the importance of this election, we are taking no chances with expatriate sobriety-related violence,” said a National Police Chief Police General Carlos Ruez. He justified the deployment of over 20,000 additional security officers nationwide as a necessary precaution against “deranged, sober foreigners.”

Additionally, numerous bars and nightlife areas in Buenos and other cities will be shut down altogether to avoid gatherings of large numbers of non-drunken expats. Carlos has launched a PR campaign encouraging them to stay home on Saturday night “for once.”

Although large-scale rioting by un-intoxicated foreigners is rare, many previous Argentine elections have seen small outbreaks of civil unrest, usually by expats who were unaware of the election at all and who reacted badly to being told that they can’t have a drink at their favorite establishment.

“For many of these people, 36 hours without a drink and the company of drunk friends represents something unacceptable, terrifying even,” said Nancy Valdez, sociology professor at Belgrano University. “Sobering up means becoming momentarily aware of their graying bodies and emotionally hollow lives. What we think of as an alcohol-free night represents an existential crisis for them.”

Valdez claims this “sobriety shock” is an actual medical pathology and recommends that hospitals offer free alcohol IV drips during the election weekend.

“Most expats are perfectly reasonable people,” she said. “The few deranged ones that end up yelling at waitresses at Irish pubs, they just need help.”

But according to Election Commission member Juan Lopez, much of the problem simply stems from a lack of communication. “Many expats are so isolated from the realities of the country they live in that something as major as an election can slip under their radar,” he explained. “Those who prepare ahead of time can easily get through the weekend by having a case of Malbec and a few DVDs ready at home.”

The EC has launched an educational campaign by posting messages on Spanglishechange.com, reminding expatriates of the alcohol ban and suggesting that they host ‘Election Parties’ in their apartments.

Major grocery chains such as Disco have also joined in the campaign, touting 12-packs of Quilmes and Stella at their outlets with offers of free coolers as part of their “Stay Home, Stay Wasted” promotion.

Although the EC is confident in their campaign, Carloz still thinks that planning ahead simply goes against the mentality of the alcoholic in general, and the alcoholic expat in particular.

“The people likely to cause a stir on election day can’t think three hours ahead, much less plan for a weekend,” she said. “You might as well ask your dog to feed himself while you’re on vacation.”

Sober Expats... Q Horribly! If you get desperate you can always pick up a bottle pure alcahol at the farmacia and mix that with your favorite bottled water or other beverage.

we are all in danger of "sobriety over-productivity"
I mean look what you managed to do with this post and the ban has just started.
by sunday night there is a good chance we all may be actually talking to our significant other, living in clean homes, with crossed-off to do lists and GOD forbid, fresh laundry.
oh wait, i just re-read your post....

we can still drink at home!
phew.

“For many of these people, 36 hours without a drink and the company of drunk friends represents something unacceptable, terrifying even,” ha ha !

Great debut post.

I'm taking it that asking expats who they fancy in their local comuna elections would be a fruitless exercise then?

"Borrowed" from

http://notthenation.com/2011/06/police-prepare-for-election-day-expat-sobriety-riots/

I'm bummed because I thought it was original, then I saw the plug for Spanglish. It's still appropriate, but you really should have credited the original author. If for no other reason than Google's algorithm is tuned to look for such practices as reprinting original content and plugging your name into it. The result might be a demotion of your search rankings.

Either way it gave me the happy face while reading.

Back