electrics and apartments

xohmyx

Registered
Hi

Im travelling from Australia to BsAs at the end of march...and was wondering if i will be able to use my electronic things (laptop,charger,hair straightner etc..) in argentina they have the same plugs (the two/three prongs) but will my things work without anything going wrong?? id hate to stuff up my laptop or worse be stuck without my hair straightner!! *eep*

and second question one i cant seem to work out myself wondering if you guys can help...
What website is the best for finding a temp apartment? I dont want to use craiglist...i've been looking at apartments on
http://soloduenos.com.ar
http://www.bairesapartments.com/
http://www.4rentargentina.com
http://www.myplacerealestate.com/en/http://www.myplacerealestate.com/en/

i've been looking on all of them i've found a few that seem like good places...has anyone on here used any of those websites to book there apartments?
Was it good/bad experience? are there better places to look that should know about?
any help/advice would be handy

We have an apartment listed with bairesapartments.. I can say that they are a reputable business.

Your electronics will work here without adaptors. The plugs are the same as in Au.

BytArgentina.com is a great site to rent apt. i have rented form them 4 x and am arriving on Dec 3 for 2 weeks in one of their rentals in Palermo Viejo for 315US$ per week.

electrics - you do need adapter plugs but with one everything works fine.

Beware any "independent" testimonials regarding temporary rentals, some are, some are not. Think about getting a very temporary place (max. 1 week) via friends or internet, then plan on searching for a longer-term place after you've arrived.

Hey there. I can offer you a place in Palermo. It's right above the Plaza Serrano, which is a plaza where there is a fair on the weekends, and is surrounded by restaurants and cafés. Palermo is a nice green area, but not too far out of the way either. The zoo is there, there is a really huge park called Bosques de Palermo, the Japanese Garden is there, there's plenty of places to learn tango if that interests you. You can go feed the cats at the botanical garden. The downside of Palermo is that it can be a little more expensive than other areas. I don't really recomend Bario Norte or Recoleta, because they are vastly overpriced both in housing and food. Also, it isn't really a good representation of Buenos Aires (most of the city is not that wealthy). Belgrano like Palermo in that it is sort of a compromise- it's a wealthy area, but there are middle class people living there too. The thing about Belgrano is that it is pretty distant from everything else, even if there is a subway that connects it to the rest of the city. For a more lived in feel Caballito and Villa Crespo are good neighborhoods. They are also cheaper, but housing doesn't cater to tourists as much. All of the neighborhoods I mentioned here are safe, although you can get robbed or pickpocketed anywhere, and sometimes it can be more of a problem in the nicer neighborhoods. A lot of people like San Telmo, and I agree that it is a nice area to visit, but it has never really seemed safe to me. Also a lot of people will try to advertise things in Constitución (a definite NO) as being in San Telmo, so if you do go for San Telmo, make sure you end up IN San Telmo. If you are at all interested in the apartment in Palermo let me know and I can send you details (write me at [email protected]) otherwise good luck!

hi, my son's X-Box was zapped and destroyed when he tried to plug it in.
we found good rentals at VRBO.com, if you don't want to pay the outrageous deposits. also, we used Home in Argentina. Daniela is very nice and helpful and we got a great place with low deposit. homeinargentina.com.ar

SydSol said:
hi, my son's X-Box was zapped and destroyed when he tried to plug it in.
Oh! Bad luck :(
I'm sorry.

Your son's Xbox came from the USA and doesn't have a switching power supply. The OP is bringing stuff from Australia and so shouldn't have any problems.

I agree with James. Try to book for the shortest time possible until you are certain. I am on my 3rd (and hopefully last) apartment this year. First one was meant to be short-term although I really liked it. Then for 2nd, I learned the hard way that buses (collectivos) are something that truly destroys my sleep patterns. If I had been locked into a long-term lease, I would have probably died by now from sleep deprivation. Even if you are coming on holidays -- try to get someone to cast an opinion on your location if possible. There are many different tastes and likes / dislikes with regards to neighborhoods / barrios --- but there are also some basic things like buses roaring by at 4:30AM that seem to be universally despised. :)

If you are coming on holiday - I say Palermo. May be slightly more $ versus San Telmo - but it's quite safe and you will have easy access to food, shopping, clubs, parks and all. San Telmo has some wonderful sections - but also some places that can be quite dangerous (as in any big city).

Back