Employment Needed In January

cammy7000

Registered
To whom it concerns,

I am a recent graduate from Durham University with BA (honours) in Philosophy. In January 2014 I am looking to move to Buenos Aires and work for a minimum of three months, I have experience working as a chef, bartender, with animals, with disabled children and am well traveled. I am pretty open to ideas regarding employment so please contact me if you know of any opportunities arising. I will be teaching myself Spanish over the next six months so hope to have an intermediate level on arrival.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

Your 90-day tourist visa doesn't allow you to work in Argentina. That's the law.

Kathleen, not to be mean but you have no work experience, no work visa, an intermediate level of Spanish (at best) and the economy here isn't great. If you did come you would probably be teaching English at around 50 pesos an hour. You can take a look on Craigslist but I have never heard of a company hiring anyone without them being present in Buenos Aires in order to conduct an interview. Good luck!

Many expats are looking for baby-sitters / nannies if that would be of interest to you. Whenever they offer their services on here, they seem to get snapped up.

Are you being facetious? Look at the guy who wants to make curry dinners and sell them and all the support and enthusiasm we give him. Don't be rude.
No, I am not. Why is a college graduate looking for work in Buenos Aires? So she can earn a better wage from more satisfying work? She has to figure out what she wants to do in life, but working illegally in BsAs is not the answer.

I wasn't looking to work illegally, if I were to be offered employment then of course I would apply for the proper work visa. Having never been to that part of the world it is good to know in advance the legalities of working there. I want to travel around South America and be self sufficient whilst doing so, and I thought the best way to do that would be to get a job, naturally. Thank you everyone for replying, it has been both a reality check and has encouraged me to re-double my efforts in this endeavour.

Kind regards,
Kathleen Cameron

your lame!

This.

She wants to come over, be self sufficient and travel around. I doubt she is coming to lay down roots and probably not looking for a career. Take a breath, relax.

Kathleen: This will be tricky, you most likely won't get something until you arrive. I would suggest googling a list of all the English Schools in Buenos Aires and arranging interviews with them when you arrive. It will be so hard to organise something in advance of that. I do think teaching English is your best bet. You'll need some of your own money to be self sufficient but definitely teaching could augment your savings. You'll need to come over with money to survive for a while and to pay for accomodation and whatever else. You can put ads up on craigslist for english speaking nanny services and whatever else when you get here but again no one will hire you until they can meet with you.

Note, January is very quiet in Buenos Aires. It is hot and anyone who can leaves the city and goes on holidays. It is a fairly dead month in terms of getting work. You might have more joy holding off until Feb.

Good luck.

Back