Escape Strategy

jeff1234

Registered
We just came back from a trip to the US where we took 7 flights without any problems.
If I book a trip to Europe for Sept/Oct can I expect the same reliability from the airlines there?
One cancellation could strand us somewhere and wreck our itinerary.

We just came back from a trip to the US where we took 7 flights without any problems.
If I book a trip to Europe for Sept/Oct can I expect the same reliability from the airlines there?
One cancellation could strand us somewhere and wreck our itinerary.
Jeff,

There are never any guarantees in life. Except for death and taxes as they say.

With respect to COVID / etc ... I have to believe things are improving in EE UU & Europe, but progress can get derailed. Anything can happen. So the best one can do is expect the unexpected. Be flexible if you can.

My personal plan has been to stay stationary and ride this storm out, because I don't want my life turned upside down. If I stay put, I have the most control of my circumstances. Never perfect, but fairly predictable.

GL!

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: who can tell? Three months is a l o n g. time in Covid-19 and individual European nations keep changing their go/no go status all the time.

Left field answer: take the trip. Think of six months holed up in a country you only thought you would transit through as part of the adventure

Risk averse answer: see (1) above

I don't have enough time left to 'sit still and ride out the storm'.
If the trip I'd like to take has too many flights and thus too much opportunity to be stranded, where would be a good one stop trip for the month of Sept? Lisbon/Algarve? Thailand? Mexico?

If the trip I'd like to take has too many flights and thus too much opportunity to be stranded, where would be a good one stop trip for the month of Sept? Lisbon/Algarve? Thailand? Mexico?
Only you can decide that. You walk in your shoes better than anyone else ever could.

FYI>There are no expiration dates on a life (At least that is what I thought you referred to with the time comment???). Live each day like many more will come is my best advise. Great things can happen thinking this way, I believe. You may not, so I'll respect whatever you decide.

September / October will be just after the European summer, similar to what happened here in autumn there might be a new COVID wave which could cause shutdowns.

It depends very much on how things evolve over the summer, whether the holiday season brings a spike in infections as the destinations open up, and again as tourists return home possibly with their newly-acquired viruses.

I'd wait to travel until the end of the year, or if that's too late, wait another 4-6 weeks before booking anything in the September / October timeframe.

I'm currently in Dublin and Europe is about to open up for us to travel next month but only if you've had 2 vaccination jabs and can prove it. So that means no quarantine upon return.

The curve ball is the delta (Indian) variant which could result in another lockdown. So I would wait at least a month to see how things pan out.

Plus I would avoid transit through the UK as they have the worst delta problem.

https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...de-nuevas-emergencias-y-cierres-de-fronteras/

This article contains more of this bizarre "back to the future" thinking (I suppose "go forward to the past" thinking) trying to predict how far into the 2020s it will be before we back to where we were in 2019. I continue to believe that is an unhelpful way to approach life, but that's just me. The article at least suggests tentative steps to making leisure travel seems less risky.

https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...de-nuevas-emergencias-y-cierres-de-fronteras/

This article contains more of this bizarre "back to the future" thinking (I suppose "go forward to the past" thinking) trying to predict how far into the 2020s it will be before we back to where we were in 2019. I continue to believe that is an unhelpful way to approach life, but that's just me. The article at least suggests tentative steps to making leisure travel seems less risky.
People think there is a clear end in sight to this, there is not.

I believe there will be "COVID shockwaves" through the rest of this decade.

The only way things are going back to normal is when most of this generation dies out and the world is in new hands.

I can help.

Mexico probably carries the least risk, the highest return as far as your situation goes. No restrictions on travel, zero chance of new lockdown even in the event of another wave, plenty of international flights in all directions, low cost of living in case you get "stuck." The downsides are, obviously, the violence in many regions, and the Covid mortality rate is through the ceiling.

Back