Escape Strategy

More info on what's open to us here: https://www.infobae.com/america/ten...son-las-restricciones-de-viaje-pais-por-pais/

Colombia is also open, if a month in, say, Cartagena or Santa Marta sounds attractive. Pre-registration for the trip here: https://apps.migracioncolombia.gov.co/pre-registro/public/preregistro.jsf. Colombia is not doing well with COVID though.

Generally, if I wanted to park myself somewhere for a month, I'd pick a country with a hub airport, Bogota, Mexico City, and Panama definitely qualify.

I spent a week in Panama City. Not a fan. Pretty expensive, not really walkable, hot, and not a particularly attractive city. Mexico City I loved.

More info on what's open to us here: https://www.infobae.com/america/ten...son-las-restricciones-de-viaje-pais-por-pais/

Colombia is also open, if a month in, say, Cartagena or Santa Marta sounds attractive. Pre-registration for the trip here: https://apps.migracioncolombia.gov.co/pre-registro/public/preregistro.jsf. Colombia is not doing well with COVID though.

Generally, if I wanted to park myself somewhere for a month, I'd pick a country with a hub airport, Bogota, Mexico City, and Panama definitely qualify.

VivaAir a Colombian low cost airline announced today that later in 2021 will start nonstop flights Medellin -Buenos Aires ..!! to attract Argentine tourism and transport Colombian tourists... Great news.

VivaAir a Colombian low cost airline announced today that later in 2021 will start nonstop flights Medellin -Buenos Aires ..!! to attract Argentine tourism and transport Colombian tourists... Great news.

Rich, that does sound promising. I did some Googling and found this from the US Department of State "Do not travel to Colombia due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Colombia due to crime, terrorism and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk."

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up, I had no idea. I've flown Viva quite a few times, it's basically a Latin American Ryanair (owned by the same people), where every option is itemized and has a price. It still worked out cheaper than Avianca, and seemed very reliable flying in Colombia.

I searched a bit and found this: https://simpleflying.com/viva-colombia-argentina-flight-launch/ it seems they want to establish Medellin as a hub for international flights.

About Cartagena, it's very easy to find Airbnb's there, with some good discounts due to the pandemic (plus it's low season now), quite a few have swimming pools in the building. There are some nice hotels as well around the walled city and Bocagrande, or in front of the airport. It's easy to organize trips to the beaches or to the islands. An actual resort / all inclusive hotel would be the Decameron on Baru, I haven't been to that Decameron, but friends said it was very nice. I think the timeshare sellers can be annoying sometimes.

Rich, that does sound promising, thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing Cartagena and Medellin. People seem to like visiting Colombia but for short stays. Is there a resort area near the ocean and suitable for staying several weeks?

As an alternative to Cartagena is Santa Marta resorts or Fly to San Andres island in the Caribbean. Paradise

I spent a week in Panama City. Not a fan. Pretty expensive, not really walkable, hot, and not a particularly attractive city. Mexico City I loved.
Aha, I didn't mean to suggest staying in Panama City, it's just that it's a hub airport with lots of options to get in or out. I believe there are some very nice beaches and islands within reach.

Same with Mexico City, at any other time it's great, but with the pandemic I'd prefer to rent an apartment near Acapulco, say, or go somewhere like Holbox or Tulum. None of those are cheap either, of course.

In Colombia I found Santa Marta to be boring, there are relatively few beaches close by (El Rodadero, and from there Playa Blanca). Last time I checked, San Andres was having COVID problems because of the supply ships calling. Maybe Providencia would be a better option (plus I believe it's English-speaking). Friends who were out there said San Andres is a bit built up, but that Providencia which is more remote and less developed, is indeed Paradise.

Some friends higly recommended Cozumel Resorts. Fly to Cancun and ride the 1hour Ferry to Cozumel Island. Westin Cozumel, expensive.

[QU
Some friends higly recommended Cozumel Resorts. Fly to Cancun and ride the 1hour Ferry to Cozumel Island. Westin Cozumel, expensive.

Cozumel is lovely. We stay in Playacar. Its a gated community in Playa del Carmen, directly across from Cozumel. Much more to see and do there.

frankpintor. my next trip is going to santa marta. what is the town like? good resturants? i dont care for beaches. ocean views, swimming, and fishing are my preferences. thx in advance

Back