Essentials for a long bus trip?

You must be taking a very fast bus to get to Mendoza in 14 hours. I went by bus to the south of Cordoba which took 14 hours. I also traveled three years ago on a group tour to Bariloche--24 hours. The drivers have to take rest stops every three hours and refuel. One driver sleeps while the other one drives. They have regularly scheduled places to stop so that travelers can have a meal, smoke a cigarette, and use the facilities. There are scheduled stops along the way to pick up other passengers. If you arrive in 14 hours, I will be amazed. It's a 2-hour flight.

Some bus lines show an American movie with subtitles and play music constantly while you are trying to sleep. Bring earplugs if you don't use drugs to sleep. They supply blankets.

The vineyard tours attract foreigners, so the prices are set accordingly. Those who can afford to travel there can afford the luxury of a driver for the day.

If you are traveling this month, be prepared for snow in Mendoza. The last two weeks of July are high season for skiing.

The alternative is visiting locations in downtown Buenos Aires where vineyards offer wine tasting events. There is an annual wine tasting event at La Rural with dozens of vineyards participating.

You will be in a closed environment for many hours. It may be a good idea to take along one of those face masks to use in case someone on the bus has a cold.

Bottle of wine, corkscrew, download Stanza onto your Iphone to read some Sherlock Holmes on the way.

And a screwdriver. To takeout the central armrest so you and your partner can use each other as pillows.

jantango said:
You must be taking a very fast bus to get to Mendoza in 14 hours. I went by bus to the south of Cordoba which took 14 hours. I also traveled three years ago on a group tour to Bariloche--24 hours. The drivers have to take rest stops every three hours and refuel. One driver sleeps while the other one drives. They have regularly scheduled places to stop so that travelers can have a meal, smoke a cigarette, and use the facilities. There are scheduled stops along the way to pick up other passengers. If you arrive in 14 hours, I will be amazed. It's a 2-hour flight.

I doubt it's any faster of a bus than normal, and my itinerary actually says a little less than 14 hours. Same with coming home. Maybe the buses don't typically run on schedule?

If you are traveling this month, be prepared for snow in Mendoza. The last two weeks of July are high season for skiing.

I think we lucked out... it's supposed to be 60s and sunny the entire weekend! :)

Bianca said:
My husband and I are going on an overnight bus to Mendoza soon. ... Any essentials that we should bring? ... We're going Cama Suite...
If "Cama Suite" is the same as 'Primera Clase' or 'Ejecutivo' (you have paid AFAIR about AR$ 300 each), you'll be provided with hot food (air line style & type) and drink including coffee and bottled water by the stewardess and - at least on one bus company - fresh baked bread acquired from a bakery en route for breakfast, also blanket, pillows and the closest you can get to a real bed.

In that case you'll only need to bring yourself and luggage, and - if you tend to cool off during your comfortable sleep - a warm pull-over + warm socks (air con working full speed).

I've made the trip several times (10 or 12) during the last few years and have been very comfortable every time.

PS: One of my sweetest memories from bus rides all over Argentina is from a Mendoza-BsAs ride where the stewardess came every hour asking "¿cafecito?" - she being sooo cute, not because she was pretty but because of her fake barley-blonde hair combined with a small and coal-black moustache.

jantango said:
You must be taking a very fast bus to get to Mendoza in 14 hours.
Have to correct this - the direct bus ride BsAs-Mendoza is 13½-14 hours, made the trip some 10 or 12 times.

Bianca said:
Maybe the buses don't typically run on schedule?
Strange as it may sound in Argentina - make sure you are there on time (i.e. 10 minutes before scheduled), one minute late may cost you a taxi chase, although nice bus drivers consult their passenger list and wait for a couple of minute if needed.

One thing I wish I had was a reading light. The overhead lights on my bus were weak.

Back