Etiquette. You Take A Taxi, I Take The Bus. Who Pays What?

TehDeej

Registered
So I left a bar at the same time as my friend in Microcentro and both of us went to Palermo. My plan was to take the collectivo home and pay 2 pesos. He doesnt take the bus. I felt wierd saying so long, I'm going the less expensive way home and we got in the same cab. The price to my home was 35 pesos and I gave him a 20. It would have been almost the same time on the bus and certainly a better value, but I felt awkward saying, "Chau! I'm taking the bus to the same neighborhood even though you don't want to". What is the normal behavior in this situation?

It shouldn't be a problem for you to part ways at the exit of the bar. Just say you're taking the bus and leave it at that. If he asks why not go in taxi, say you're saving up or that you simply prefer the bus.

My wife and her family take buses or subte all the time. Personally, I've been on the buses more than a couple of times with them, but I don't like it because too often it's crowded. I like my personal space and dislike having to push past people to get on, wait in line to pay while the bus is moving, have to deal with charging a subte card, etc. If I had to, I would take it, but I'd rather spend the extra money to ride in relative personal comfort. I mean, let's face it, 35 pesos is about 5.60 at the blue rate, which is still a deal for cab fare in many parts of the world. I understand expat reluctance to take a bus or subte.

However, I agree that if you don't want to pay for the cab, you shouldn't have to, and your friend shouldn't give you a hard time about it. There's not a thing wrong at all with taking mas transport if it doesn't bother you. I have an expat buddy who's in his mid-seventies, rich as can be, who refuses to pay the price of cabs and takes mass transport all the time. Or walks.

I don't take taxis very often either, actually. Anything within about 15 blocks I automatically walk (unless in a big hurry, which is rare) and I've walked up to 30 blocks to get somewhere when not in a hurry. Mostly I drive my car when going longer distances.

My wife and her family take buses or subte all the time. Personally, I've been on the buses more than a couple of times with them, but I don't like it because too often it's crowded. I like my personal space and dislike having to push past people to get on, wait in line to pay while the bus is moving, have to deal with charging a subte card, etc. If I had to, I would take it, but I'd rather spend the extra money to ride in relative personal comfort. I mean, let's face it, 35 pesos is about 5.60 at the blue rate, which is still a deal for cab fare in many parts of the world. I understand expat reluctance to take a bus or subte.

The whole perception on this forum that everyone lives on the "blue rate" is getting really OLD. It's really starting to make me want to say STFU Expats.

A lot of us don't live on blue rate, or just don't earn that much that it doesn't matter, we're still going to be tight on money, so saving 33 pesos by taking the bus instead of a cab makes a difference -- do that both ways and you've saved enough for a couple of drinks at the bar.

Syngirl, I couldn't agree more.
Not having a go at Sr Queso of course, but dollars seem more of a mirage to me nowadays..lol

Outside the bar -

"I am going home now"

"me too"

"C'mon lets get this taxi"

"No way Im paying 40 for a taxi when the bus is only 2, you go ahead"

Then I Imagine the response would either be

A. "Don't worry about it, ill get it"

B. "Ok , no problem see you later, call me"

Maybe get some balls and then you can tell your friend that you do not want to pay for a taxi

It's not such an odd thread, it's a legitimate question. I'd say it's one of those many times in life when it's very important to be clear from the beginning. "Look, I plan to take the bus," and as it was said up there either the friend will come with you or he might tell you to just come along for the ride. I've had that situation happen a lot on both sides, and the important thing is to say before hailing the cab what you would be doing if you were alone, or else you get in that awkward situation later.

I have had a somewhat similar situation when I take my bike to meet friends, and on the way home I can take someone on my bike with me if it's not too far, but only one person. So I do feel bad for taking a paying taxi-rider away from the group, but... what can I do? It's happened a few times and it is awkward.

In all of these cases, honesty and frankness really is the least awkward way to go about it.

Back