Etiquette. You Take A Taxi, I Take The Bus. Who Pays What?

Two years ago I used to take taxis everywhere but now I am more comfortable in the layout of capital and reading a Guia T so I take collectivos and/or walk as often as possible.

I have to say the amount of pesos I save every month has been huge and the GUIA T is not so bad once you are riding the bus but it does lack the route which can make a huge difference in travel time between collectivos that go between the same locations.

Plus the experience of having these crazed collectiveros is worth getting on one at least once.

At the end of the day, I am sure we have all been stiffed for an occasional taxi by a friend. But, would you honestly see your 'mate' standing at the bus stop after a night out just because he did not have the 5 bucks to chip in for the cab? I doubt it!

If a friend is a real friend I am sure you could say "i am a bit skint at the minute, you shout it and ill get the next one"

Or

If the person you hang around with is just a cheapskate - get a new friend

I have found that having friends of differing financial circumstances can always become a pain in the arse if you feel like they are taking the piss and poncing, but if that is the case - they are not really friends anyway

I wouldn't take a taxi with a stranger, just to save a penny, full stop.
In fact, I'm not sure if I like taxis at all.
Unless I'm drunk. Then it's obligatory...............gosh, that's a long word.

With experience in life, I have learnt that real friendships which sustain all obstacles and hardships are the ones amongst equals. especially, amongst one of equal financial capabilities.

Same thing applies in the Taxi debate. A person of equal financial capability and like mindedness will not ask me to share taxi! Neither will i enjoy leaving a friend at a bus stop while I happily hop in a taxi. This problem will not arise between friends of equal capabilities. Unless, the friend of same capability prefers walking to reduce his calories or is fond of taking public transport for the heck of it.

We can not choose our siblings, parents or neighbors. But we have the capability and good fortune to choose our friends.

Ticktock, all is fine.

Hope you understand that what I did, and you didn't find amusing, is quite similar to your own reply to Ceviche's..That was my point.

Strictly, other people's business.

Taxi? Sure. Where to? :)

EricM, thanks for your post. Thats actually what I really meant to express. I guess, I elaborated it too much making it unfortunately sound like a "Joke".

I though it was a joke, especially next to the profile pic. Unless that really is you Ceviche, in which case you really do have issues. :)

Actually the whole thread might be a joke. (this is a joke).

A shakespearian interpretation would make you wonder who, between TehDeej and his/her friend is Ariel and who is Caliban. (actually I'm not even sure I understand what I'm writing)

Very interesting thread though, as prove its 5 pages (already) on such a passionate debate (hence this tension that can be felt).

Damn - sometimes it becomes increasingly difficult to make statements of personal opinions without catching chaff! :)

I happen to agree completely with Ceviche on the difficulty of the buses. I've bought a Guia-T (for my wife) and looked at it and it didn't make much sense. I suspect that had I really tried, I could have figured it out and been just fine after some time, but I didn't want to. Without putting words in Ceviche's mouth, I suspect his condition is probably similar, given that he writes clearly and intelligently enough and not knowing him personally...

I've lived 90% of my life in places that don't depend much on mass transportation. I've rarely ridden a bus in my life (except for a school bus, until I made it to high school and drove myself or hitched rides with friends who had cars). I've always depended either on walking or driving.

I don't quite share his lack of desire to share cabs (depending on the situation. There are some folks I absolutely refuse to enter a cab with, but for reasons relating to that specific person). However, we're all different and to make him feel bad because he enjoys his personal space (which I do 100% understand) and his desire to avoid complications related to obligations (which I can sympathize with in other situations, but which I don't, personally, share related to sharing cabs) seems to me to be unnecessary picking.

We all have our little foibles, our little issues with understanding the world and things that are hard for one to learn and easy for others, for whatever reason. When we're forthright enough to share those with other people, I'd hope the other people could be a little more understanding.

Can't we all just get along? :D

I didnt mean the be unfriendly, although it may have come across that way. I understand everyone has their own way of doing things, and im fine with him not wanting to share cab rides. Maybe its because i dont even know how to drive a car, and am very much used to public transportation, walking, and going by bike, that i was really surprised a bussystem could be that complicated. To each their own and for me no reason to not get along of course.

Two years ago I used to take taxis everywhere but now I am more comfortable in the layout of capital and reading a Guia T so I take collectivos and/or walk as often as possible.

I have to say the amount of pesos I save every month has been huge and the GUIA T is not so bad once you are riding the bus but it does lack the route which can make a huge difference in travel time between collectivos that go between the same locations.

Plus the experience of having these crazed collectiveros is worth getting on one at least once.

The route is in the back, although it doesnt make clear how long itll take more or less. But then again, even 5 blocks could take you up to an hour and you never know anyway.

Back