Evening Dresses In Buenos Aires

HookEmHornsMaddy

Registered
Hi,

I am going to Colombia for a wedding in June and need to buy a formal dress.
If you have any suggestions can you please let me know?

My budget is around $250 US dollars or $2,125 pesos and it needs to be a long evening gown.
A lot of people have told me that it is going to be very expensive and the quality won't be what it is in the U.S..is this true?
Would it be a better idea to order a dress online in the U.S. and have it shipped here?

Thank you!

Check out Unicenter shopping mall on the Panamericana in Martinez. I found my wife's wedding dress and reception dress there. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the store but it's on the lower level very close to the West end entrance. All formal gowns and evening dresses. You really can't miss it. They had a great selection. However, they will be more expensive than your budget. Prices now are $400US - $800US. If you can order it online in the States, have someone remove the tags, packaging, etc, put it in a box with some other used clothes you'll probably do better than to buy here. Make sure they send it Regular US Mail, not FedEx, UPS or any other overnight shipping. Regular mail goes to Retiro. Usually not a problem getting your stuff there. FedEx, etc goes to EZE. You don't want that option

I have no idea of the prices, but there is a big store on the corner of Ayacucho and Corrientes that sells bridal and formal wear for quinceañeras and bar mitzvahs. I have the sense that they make a lot of things to order.

I went with my girlfriend to help her find an evening dress in a few of the gallerias in santa fe, between callao and libertad
some are not the best quality, but if you look well, there re a few nice dresses there!

I haven't had to look at evening dresses in awhile (though I myself need one in August so should start looking...) -- however I do remember Veronica Far in Palermo had some good options.

http://www.veronicafar.com.ar

This woman also sells Bebe / JCrew / other imports from Miami out of an apartment in Palermo Hollywood. She puts her catalogue online and looks like she might have things in your price range. She'll only have a couple of sizes of each model

http://www.wvestidos.com

By the way -- I bought a dress at Veronica Far a few years ago for my brother-in-laws wedding -- it was about 1200 pesos then for one of the more bohemian styles (ie on the look book now on the site she has a couple of long floral dresses, mine was similar). My sister-in-law was so demanding, kept saying everyone had to wear a long dress, so my mother-in-law, my other sister-in-law and I all ended up buying there. And we go to the wedding, and of course, guess what -- apart from the brides mum, everyone wore short dresses. Including all of the bridesmaids -- the supposed best friends who were supposed to follow her long dress rules exactly. So unless this is an ultra-high-class wedding do not be surprised if you get there and everyone else is in short cocktail dresses.

If you have a bit of time you could look in Mercadolibre for a second life one. They never have much use so you might find something. You can ask the vendor for the measurements and err on the side of caution. If you don´t like how it fits you can have it altered fairly quickly.
This would be you selection today. Bear in mind the weather and if it is outdoors or indoors. Breathable fabrics !
http://ropa.mercadolibre.com.ar/vestidos/de-noche/largos/_OrderId_PRICE*DESC_PciaId_Capital-Federal_PriceRange_1-2400

Check out Unicenter shopping mall on the Panamericana in Martinez. I found my wife's wedding dress and reception dress there. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the store but it's on the lower level very close to the West end entrance. All formal gowns and evening dresses. You really can't miss it. They had a great selection. However, they will be more expensive than your budget. Prices now are $400US - $800US. If you can order it online in the States, have someone remove the tags, packaging, etc, put it in a box with some other used clothes you'll probably do better than to buy here. Make sure they send it Regular US Mail, not FedEx, UPS or any other overnight shipping. Regular mail goes to Retiro. Usually not a problem getting your stuff there. FedEx, etc goes to EZE. You don't want that option

Hey GS, have you had experience sending things from the US to Argentina by regular mail? Because the cards I sent in the past from Miami to BA took 2-3 months. Maybe you've had a better experience than me....

Id never have something send to me from another country if it needs to be there on a specific date, unless theres a way to be really really sure itll get there on time. I dont think thats the case for Argentina.

What about having a good dressmaker make you a dress? I suspect you'll get much more bang for your buck because there won't be any shipping or import duty costs....it's ironically one of the growing fewer things here that are actually cheaper than elsewhere!

Back