Exchanging Pesos for Dollars

gabrielfuller

Registered
I recently found out the hard way about the new regulations for exchanging pesos to dollars. I went to the ATM about 4 times to take out Pesos to pay rent, like I have been doing the last 8 months. But now my landlord wants the money in dollars, like it says on the contract. Just like always, I throw away my receipts for the ATM, but now I need them to convert these pesos back to dollars.

Does anyone know of a way to do that without the ATM comprobante? For instance, if I print off my bank statement and it says "Avenida Cordoba - Banco Santander 1000 pesos" can I take that to an exchange house and get my dollars?

This process is sooooo frustrating! HELP!

It doesn't hurt to try! Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Unless I am missing something here, you can't change your pesos back to dollars even with the receipts. I tried that at several banks and it didn't work (despite being told it would). Good luck though.

I've got a ton of receipts from withdrawing pesos from my account in the US, enough to share if this actually works. Can anyone confirm that this is sufficient comprobante for changing pesos to dollars and specify a bank where you've done this successfully?

Bajo_cero2 said:
You can change them back at Ezeiza with the receips. Regards

Have you actually done this? I have heard a lot of misinformation about how you can trade pesos for dollars and thus far I have learned the hard way how it is a bunch of BS. From receipts, bank statements, AFIP approval, I have tried it personally and it doesn't work.

Until someone comes forward and and says they have personally been able to change pesos for dollars I am a little dubious.

NeilS said:
Have you actually done this? I have heard a lot of misinformation about how you can trade pesos for dollars and thus far I have learned the hard way how it is a bunch of BS. From receipts, bank statements, AFIP approval, I have tried it personally and it doesn't work.

Until someone comes forward and and says they have personally been able to change pesos for dollars I am a little dubious.

You've tried with AFIP approval and even that hasn't worked??

It is now illegal to demand rent in dollars so why the hell are you even trying? Just stop, you are feeding a very wrong and greedy landload tradition.

mini said:
You've tried with AFIP approval and even that hasn't worked??

Yes I got a typed letter directly from AFIP saying I had permission to buy dollars and still no banks (including Piano Banco downtown) would sell them.

No matter what the government or the banks tell you it appears the dirty secret is no one is selling dollars at the "official" rate (maybe to hide inflation?).

If anyone has been able to buy dollars from a bank I would love to hear about it. But I have tried and tried and now am stuck with the "informal market". Really sucks when you withdraw pesos at 4.3 and then have to buy dollars at 4.7.

Back