Expat Package - What to expect?

I agree with JP...1000 dollars(3800 pesos) would be a great place to start..... of course we dont know what you do for your company... but you can live here cheap if you want to..... elec is very cheap... I pay about 25 pesos a month... gas and water about 30 pesos each.... food can be about the same as the U.S. on average or cheaper depends on what you eat...... rent is hard to say.... you could rent for 1500 pesos..... or you can rent for 4000... it depends on what you want and need.... As in any country if you want to live like a foreigner it CAN be expensive.. but if you try to shop... make food at home ... you can live quite well and cheap here... a 1000 dollars would be a good start.... well good luck!!!

Thanks to all of your help.
I know what to expect in terms of cost of living in BsAs (rent, bills, food, etc). I also know where I want to live (Probably Almagro) so I have a good understanding of what I would need.
My focus right now is to make sure my company gives me something that is competitive in the market place for BsAs based on my level (mid level consultant). The already offered two tickets a year to go back to London.
Thanks to BethR! So you get USD20 a day so around $700 a year. So I guess USD1000-1500 a month is a good start (although you salary is probably higher than mine).
What about income tax? If they pay most of my salary in the UK, would I still get something deducted for the part that I will get paid in ARG?
Thanks a lot again.

Edited b/c I am really confused. Are you saying 1500 including rent? That seems REALLY low to me. Will you be renting an unfurnished apt here? Do you have a guarantor?

Re taxes - that gets really complicated. Are they paying your salary in the UK? Your best bet is to speak with your HR rep and go over everything *very* carefully. Is there a taxation treaty btwn the UK and Argentina? Make sure you don't have double-tax liability.

Always ask for more and settle for less.

I'd ask for $2000/month for rent. Justify with some of the ridiculously overpriced rentals on craigslist. It shouldn't cost anything like that. I'm renting a huge 4 bedroom for 1100/mo and that's for a temp rental. If you're staying a while you should be able to get a long term for much less.

Difference is money in your pocket.

I'd also ask for $10-15/day for taxis. Justify with posts from this website about how terrible and dangerous public transport is. It's actually fine and should only cost you a couple pesos a day.

Difference is money in your pocket.

Agree with others have said, flights home that's for sure. Ask for 4-6/year. Settle for less. Ask for first class obviously.

Cell phones obviously if you're going to be using it for work.

Insurance that covers lifeflights.

If you're ballsy ask for security.

Visa/Residency assitance

and more

Basically my point is ask for the world, and then work down from there. There's no (little) harm in asking so why not.

The problem with the above approach is that, unless he has some outstanding skills, Secchi may be told to take a hike.

A ballsy man doesn't need security. Any action movie proves that.

French jurist said:
And what if he is really ballsy ?!

If he's really ballsy and asks for everything that Philip has suggested, he will be told to take a long walk off a short pier.

Secchi777 said:
I am analyzing an offer for a job based in Buenos Aires as an expat. The company approach is to give me an annual allowance for living expenses excluding car (rent, bills, etc.). I will keep my GBP salary (not great but OK)
Besides what I think I need in BsAs based on my standard of living, would you share with me what is “fair” to expect or ask as an allowance?
My company (US based) is not very generous so I don’t expect to get a lot but I want to have a benchmark to analyze the offer (they have not given me a number yet)
Any info would be of great help.
Many thanks in advance.
Secchi

You are keeping your current salary from the UK. Your pounds will go further here. The annual living allowance I assume is to cover additional expenses you will incur here you don't have at home. You mentioned they are paying your airfare back home twice a year, good, how about medical insurance you will have to buy it in Argentina, no NHS here. These are the types of things you will have that are incremental. If you are paid locally expect about 50% withholding for taxes , etc., don't know how that compares with the U.K. Usually what companies try to do is give you the equivalent standard of living in the country you are assigned compared to what you would have back home. Luckily for you it sounds like you get to keep your home salary and move to a country where the COL is certainly lower.

Back