Expat Pets in Buenos Aires

Rease

Registered
I know I am not the only person who brought their pet from their home country to Buenos Aires.

Bringing my dog was pretty complicated/expensive but I have no regrets. However, I have noticed that even a year later he gets really upset around Argentine dogs. He has met some other expat dogs and acted normally. It´s so strange! I also think he is not used to the concrete everywhere.

Have any of your animals had adjustment issues?

I'm sorry but I really think you might be imagining it. How would a dog recognize an American dog?

This post is funny. I haven't had my dog meet local dogs...I have brought 2 dogs from abroad and bought one here almost 2 years ago. They now all get along well.
They did jump a neighbor's dog once...and they do like to escape which they didn't do before...at least the non Argentine ones..but now thanks to the electric fence they don't escape anymore :)

I brought my dog to Buenos Aires 1 1/2 years ago. Simple process but a rip-off with Senasa. But that brings us to the local dogs. The dogs are only following the stupidity that the owners have taught them. Why bother taking them on a lead, even through it is a law. Let the dogs run up to your dog and not try to stop them. Really stupid. Some dogs are aggressive and it would only take a second for them to bite your dog or even hurt a small child. When you tell the owner to keep their dog away from your dog they say "It's OK, no problem" How stupid can you get? Don't get me started on the dog shit on the sidewalks. They blatantly defy the laws and WILL NOT pick up after their dogs. With this type of attitude do they really wonder why the country is screwed up? Not to mention that they do not neuter them. This would cause an aggressive nature. Viva Argentina!!!!!!!!

I totally agree and it's amazing that there is no enforcement here AT ALL in terms of dog shit on sidewalks! HORRIBLE! They can make so much money here if there was just some enforcement.
Some very nice area are full of dog shit and people here have no shame to let their dog shit in front of you and just walk away.
Would not happen in any other country let alone N. America.
Gross! At least where I am at you don't see it at all. All the dog shit is at the back yards

My dog has been here awhile and although she hasn't met any other dogs (she has dog-aggression problems regardless of their country of origin), the damn pigeons still drive her INSANE. Thank god there aren't any squirrels, the combination of the two would give her a heart attack. I suppose back in the States she could never get very close to birds so they didn't interest her, but here she can practically taste them!

Strange observation: She has also developed a fear of elderly people that she never had before...but I think it must be because of the fast pace of the city. Everyone and everything moves so fast, she acts suspicious of anything moving suuuuuuper slowly :p

My dog seems to be super suspicious of all dogs here. Even little clumsy puppies that try to approach him get a crazy, loud, barking response!

Rease said:
I know I am not the only person who brought their pet from their home country to Buenos Aires.

Bringing my dog was pretty complicated/expensive but I have no regrets. However, I have noticed that even a year later he gets really upset around Argentine dogs. He has met some other expat dogs and acted normally. It´s so strange! I also think he is not used to the concrete everywhere.

Have any of your animals had adjustment issues?

As others have pointed out, you are right on.

I'm a dog trainer from the USA specializing in animal behavior. I came here about 14 months ago to do dog rescue and volunteer my skill set to fellow rescuers here. And it took me all of a week to notice the difference on average in animal behavior and to see what was going on.

Dog behavior is set on the basic idea of the pack mentality. As a pack animal, a dog needs a confident and strong alpha via the dog owner. But what I find here is that more often than naught, the dogs lack confidence. And that is what creates what you see here versus other places like western Europe, USA, etc: dogs don't assume seeing another dog will be a positive experience and exhibit fear...and that fear can manifest itself in different ways.

I can go on and on about all the specifics, but I keep it short and sweet: you are 100% correct in your observations about dogs in BA.

my dog learned the language way before I did...

cruizes said:
Not to mention that they do not neuter them. This would cause an aggressive nature. Viva Argentina!!!!!!!!

yes, let's mutilate dogs! woohoooo!!!!

i have two male dogs and i never did and never will consider neutering them. they are sweet, well behaved, obedient and everyone that's around them tells me so.
if you neuter dogs is so they don't reproduce, not to change their behavior to suit your needs. that's just cruel.

Back