Expat Position Regarding Politics

polostar88

Registered
In my view an expat, as a guest, should keep out of politics. This means taking no stand for or against the govt., for or against any cause in the country in which you're a guest. Let the locals decide their own fate. I'm here in part because I want to forget about politics in this sense.

I think it's dishonorable to go into someone's house and start criticizing how they do things.

This goes for expats whether they're on a tourist visa or you have citizenship or whatever. You're not Argentinian so stay out of Argentinian politics.

On the other hand, I don't understand why there are some posters here (like Bajo cero or cabrera before) who are Argies who go on an expat forum to lecture expats about how they shouldn't complain about Argentina. I think it's OK to e.g., complain about food or prices, that's different. (It's also a problem with a solution, that is, there ARE some places where you can eat good food and I'm trying to find them.) Anyway, I don't understand this, as I can't imagine doing the equivalent, e.g., finding some Jap expat forum in the US and logging on to rant at people there about how "Oh you want to find the same kind of fish or pr0n you find in Japan! In civilized countries you can't find that product so bugqger off!" lol Who does that? Can you imagine even registering on a forum in Philly to lecture Japanese expats?

On this note I say, the best places to get coffee so far for me are Establecimiento de Cafe and certain nondescript restaurants (not cafes) where for some weird reason they happen to make a good cup of coffee.

After many years of posting here polostar. I have learned that most of the time, when expats complain is because they need to vent. There are many things that change when you move to a different country/culture, and definitely it is not polite to be complaining to everybody, but on an expat forum, they feel that nobody will take offense.

I must admit that at first, I was shocked to read so many complaints, but I think it is only natural. Also, not everybody comes here because they fall in love with the place and tango. Many expats are just sent here for work, or have a partner that is Arg or has family here, so they are here not by choice.

On politics, I find it amusing and most interesting to read opinions from people that come from other places, and at least take the time to try to understand anything that happens here. They even read the newspapers. They try to research a little bit, etc.

Politics is a sensitive topic to discuss, even among Argentine.

I appreciate more an expat that can be bothered about local politics, tries to learn the language in order to understand what is going on here ( even if that is not possible! ) than people that live in a can, so to speak, can only speak English and expect this country to be or have what it does not...

In my view an expat, as a guest, should keep out of politics. This means taking no stand for or against the govt., for or against any cause in the country in which you're a guest. Let the locals decide their own fate. I'm here in part because I want to forget about politics in this sense.

I think it's dishonorable to go into someone's house and start criticizing how they do things.

This goes for expats whether they're on a tourist visa or you have citizenship or whatever. You're not Argentinian so stay out of Argentinian politics.

Argentines often criticize my government, my country and its values. I often agree with them and welcome their criticism. At the same time, if they're going to criticize my government -- and any American who was here prior to Barack Obama's election in 2008 can tell you that the criticisms were rife -- then I feel it's only fair that I can criticize theirs, where I see fit.

That said, if a foreigner can't criticize the political situation of a country in which he/she lives and pays taxes, then what you're proposing is rather scary. It opens the doors to other minority groups being limited in expressing their points of view. How is that healthy or even intelligent?

Dear Polostar88,
When i pay taxes, i will have an opinion and i will voice it,either here, back home or in dutch indochina and as Nkad said, this is an expats forum and i know many people need it to vent and or be in touch with fellow expats.As far as locals participating in the forum, i welcome that even if i don't agree with some of them.
Let's not get confused here, we can call ourselves expats or whatever new term is in style these days,when in reality we are no more or less immigrants than any foreigner that lives here and calls this place home, all others are either tourists or are here on a work visa sent by their multinational companies,which i'm also interested in what they have to say and what they see thru their eyes.
I don't think honor has anything to do with it,if you choose not to participate in political threats,it's your choice.but know this, politics is in your everyday life here and affects you directly,from not being able to get peanut butter to not getting a fair exchange of your dollars, some decided to grin and bear it (like you apparently)and others will voice their discontent........
BTW how did you do at the swingers club?? :)

I sort of get your point, but then again, some of us are part of the Argentinean community. We've been here for years, we work and pay our taxes and politics do affect us more often than not. There are many threads in the forum that are not politics-oriented; you could read through those and ignore the others if it makes you more comfortable.

As for the Argies that like to fight with the gringos, I guess they must be bored or something.

I very much disagree for a tons of reasons. The reason is that I live here and I am no longer a guest. It's one thing to be a tourist, and another thing to be a permanent resident. When you are a part of society, you are a part of it for better or worse.

On top of it, if you are not ready to talk about politics here, then you will be left out of half of peoples' conversations. Portenos are genuinely interested in foreigner's opinions, and want to know what they think. So you can be critical. Never mind that as a permanent resident I have the right to vote in local elections, another reason I can get involved in politics. There is no reason to believe that we cannot get involved in politics here simply because we are foreigners. Society is also extremely open to this kind of thing as well, in fact, I would even say that people expect you to voice your opinion and would love it for you to get involved.

I do think excessive complaining is an issue, though, because you do not have to be here. You can always pack up and leave (most people anyways). Some complaining is understandable, but if you hate this place, you are a foreigner and can always pack up and leave.

Ok

2) Your basically saying that even if you live here for 10 years, 20 years you are not "Argentinian" so shut the f&** up about politics
3) You do realise that if you're a citizen VOTING IS COMPULSORY
4) but according to you even if you're a citizen and therefore HAVE to vote you're not Argentine so you're not allowed to comment on politics

EDIT: Nos. 1 & 5 have been removed because I may have repented the decision to insinuate that the OP's intelligence was possibly lower than that of the general population

Ok
2) Your basically saying that even if you live here for 10 years, 20 years you are not "Argentinian" so shut the f&** up about politics
3) You do realise that if you're a citizen VOTING IS COMPULSORY
4) but according to you even if you're a citizen and therefore HAVE to vote you're not Argentine so you're not allowed to comment on politics

Admittedly, I said pretty much the same to myself...

Maybe the OP ate too many carbs or something.

Back