EXPATS BOYCOTT ARGENTINE TRAVEL

runnyjob-According to you, I am a stupid, pathetic racist. Bravo! I think you are the one who is pathetic and taking this a wee bit too serious. Your urgency in the defense of Argentines is heroic. I don't believe you are Argentine yet you come to their defense waving the Argentine flag and crossing the Andes. I guess San Martin has been reborn! God bless you. You are the patron saint of all the wonderful adoring Argentines. Maybe they can declare your birthday a national holiday too or get a job in Cristina and Nestor's cabinet. You certainly are SOMETHING.

I haven't even read the whole thread. These postings get so bitchy, sometimes it is difficult.Just to prove your point: This week I tried to get two round trip tickets to Cordoba from BA. I put in my order to purchase them at $750 peso, but when they "found out" I had a foreign credit card, they quoted me a "fee" of an extra $2,300 pesos, if you can believe it. I am not making this up. Oddly, they called a few hours later and tried to offer me a similar, but different itinerary at a more favorable price, but I was so pissed I said forget it. It wasn't the times I needed anyway.

[quote name='"ronnyjob'] First off, your authoritative collection of web based definitions of racism incorporates the common legally accepted definition of racism which is prejudice based on race or ethnicity - which includes nationality.[/quote] Well, let's see...13 of the 17 definitions define racism in terms of race only. Three include ethnicity, but one of those was Wikipedia, which is far from being an authoritative reference. Another, "Colors," specifically says on their website that it is a work in progress, and not all definitions are finished.And one link really doesn't address the issue.So on the surface, sport, the generally accepted definition of racism appears to be centered around...race (hence the term "racism"...duh).
[quote name='"ronnyjob'']Secondly, had you bothered to read the wiki-link....[/quote]

I didn't. Wikipedia may occasionally be a good jumping off point to other source references, but to think that you're going to get anything other than one man's opinion of moonlight about some given topic is the epitome of sloppy thinking.Words have meanings, sport, and if you're going to grow up and be an adult someday, you really need to understand the meanings of the words you use, and not just toss off some sloppy second-cousin when it suits you. Remember, as Mark Twain allegedly said, "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between fire and firefly."Hope you enjoyed your beautiful winter day, sport.

Bless.
You're right though kid, words do indeed have meanings. Here's a highlight from the wiki-link you were just too darn clever to bother reading:

According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

'the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.'

It was a lovely day today thanks.

"jedard" said:
Hello everyone:
I wonder if I may make a comment on just why Argentines feel the way they do about Americans, Spain and Portugal and the English in General.
I am sure not every Argentine has the love/hate relationship at heart. But rest assured it is alive and still festering. I myself shared many of the same feelings expressed here-in until I read and re-read the book by Eduardo Galeano, "Open Viens of Latin America." This covers 5 centuries of pillage of a continent.
Mr. Galeano is a well known political journalist from Uruguay. He has also been internationally acclaimed for his many books over the years on these subjects.
He has more first hand knowledge of Latin America than anybody alive and he uses it to tell the world of the dreams and disillusions, the hopes and the failures of its people.

To really appreciate why the Argentine people and more so the people of Latin America feel about us as they do, as a result of the genocide, the cruelty, the abuse and the exploitation exerted upon them through those 5 centuries and continues to this day. I would urge you to buy this book and read it. You will not be able to put it down.
So perhaps we are guilty of passing unkind, untrue and unnecessary judgement on a very humble people. Once last word, Uncle Sam is still raping this country as I write these words. Just take a very indepth look at this company, Anderson, Clayton, Grace.
Do they have a right to be angry, suspicious or nasty?
You be the judge, but here this is there country and not ours. If we do not like how they run things, let us shut up, pack up and leave.
Jedard
It amazes me how some people keep defending argentines at all costs, no matter how wrong or unfair their behavior is. Now let me get this straight... If a foreigner criticizes Argentina he or she is a "racist", but if argentines bash other nationalities they are not... because their hatred is somehow "fair" and "justified". Nice double-standard there... It perfectly shows how biased and hypocritical you are. Also, the book that you cite doesn't prove anything. The author is obviously an extreme left-winger who takes every opportunity to malign americans and blame them for all the evils in the world. I think we all know what those people are... All they do is spread toxic propaganda and brainwash people into their hateful ideology (aka communism). They claim to defend "peace" and "human rights" and at the same time worship butchers like Stalin or Che Guevara... These commies are notorious for supporting left-wing dictatorships that have brutally murdered and opressed millions. And still, they dare to lecture us on the "cruelty, abuse and exploitation perpetrated by the evil empire and capitalism". How can they be so shameless??? Everything they stand for makes me want to vomit in disgust!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, I see you follow them like sheep so nothing I say will have any effect on you. Now be a good boy and repeat after me: "Four legs good, two legs bad" :)
PS As far as I know, nobody is "raping" the argentines as you claim. The mess they are in is a result of their own mentality. They have created it through years of corruption incompetence and irresponsibility. If you ask me, I think they are their own worst enemy.
Please stop rationalizing their behavior. It makes you look pathetic...

"ronnyjob" said:
According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

'the term "racial discrimination" shall mean blah blah blah...."
Last time I looked, the United Nations wasn't in the business of being the world's English language dictionary. That aside, this is an example of why the United Nations is held in such low esteem. To reach a consensus they had to satisfy everyone in the room, and now that definition of racial discrimination can pretty much encompass anything, from hair color to height to the language one speaks. And in the process, it pretty much dilutes what real racism is and how odious it is.
Maybe you should spend more time outside enjoying these nice days...you're sure not making much progress when you're inside sitting behind a keyboard.

"jedard" said:
Uncle Sam is still raping this country as I write these words.
Uncle Sam isn't raping anyone or anything. Talk to a woman who was really physically, sexually raped if you want to find out what "rape" really means.(Oh wait...don't tell me...the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Precision in Language has defined "rape" to mean any action a person or entity does that you happen to disagree with, right? LOL!)

Sunny days difficult to get the best out of in an office. Still, loving the sunshine, although the cold snap has caught me off guard a little...
The UN definition is the closest you'll find to the legal definition, and I'm afraid its also the generally accepted defition across the world, despite your stated disagreement. Racist attitudes can relate to skin colour, ethnic origin, nationality - any point of difference that can be interpreted as being related to "race" as opposed to sex, religion, sexual orientation etc. I can't understand how you can find racism odious, if you think its perfectly acceptable to make ugly generalisations about an entire country. If its odious to to denigrate black people (does having black skin denote race?) its odious to denigrate an entire country. Even more so when you are a guest here. Its very frustrating being ripped off, but it happens to foreigners and tourists in every country in the world. I don't think it fair to start making ugly comments about argentines in general based on frustrating experiences with a specific airline carrier. Been browsing this forum for a long while now, and its thoroughly depressing reading the same attitudes crop up time after time. Apologies for the bitching and the overly personal comments, but still the point needed to be made. Even if you don't consider such comments offense or racist there are millions who do, and they have valid reasons to do so. Worth bearing in mind.

"ronnyjob" said:
I can't understand how you can find racism odious, if you think its perfectly acceptable to make ugly generalisations about an entire country.

I never once said it was perfectly acceptable to make ugly generalizations about an entire country. It's simply not necessarily racism. It's bias, perhaps. It's prejudice, perhaps. It may be any number of other things, and all of those things may be odious. But it's still not racism unless there is a clear connection to racial differences. That's all.

YOU are All, so:BORING |ˈbôri ng |
adjective
not interesting; tedious : I've got a boring job in an office.
DERIVATIVES
boringly adverb [as submodifier ] : the list is excoriated as boringly predictable.
boringness

Back