Expats in Mendoza.... anyone out there?

P&J

Registered
Any expat groups / meet-ups/book-exchanges/wine tasting clubs/ running clubs/conversation exchanges/ asados/etc etc in mendoza happening?

We just got here, and Mendoza rocks! Would be great to meet some folk...

Be happy to organise something if people were interested... asado or book exchange perhaps?

:)
Priscilla & james
(a.k.a. not serial killers)

P&J said:
Any expat groups / meet-ups/book-exchanges/wine tasting clubs/ running clubs/conversation exchanges/ asados/etc etc in mendoza happening?
The answers are: No, no, no, no, no, no, yes privately at asado or curante (a Mapuche thing) with Mendocino friends and sometimes 2 of us bloody foreigners together with Mendocino friends, etc. etc.

P&J said:
We just got here, and Mendoza rocks!
Don't tell'm, damn you :D we are trying to keep those BsAs expats from overrunning wonderful Mendoza.

To the rest of the readers:

For "wonderful" above, read: "disgusting", and don't believe what P&J writes, Mendoza is a horrible place, hot like H... and practically a desert, terribly expensive town, no restaurants worth speaking of, no bars, dull nature, not a mountain to be seen anywhere (if you are blind), not a tree for miles around (if you deduct 42,000 from the number), sour wine, ugly girls (who is interested in a young - and prettier - Sophia Loren lookalike, anyway), sullen and hostile people (at least I have heard of one), you can trust me (BTW: I have the Eifel Tower for sale - any takers?).

P&J said:
Would be great to meet some folk...
Can easily be arranged - state date, time and name two secondants - weapons as usual Malbec in 1/1 bottles; doctor-mozo will be present with black coffee in case someone drops to the ground. OTOH, let's wait a couple of seconds for words from mendozanow.

Are you here as tourists or to stay for good?

I know of 2 Canadians (mendozanow + NN) + one Dane (= self) in Mendoza; see the second Canadian pass by once about every 3 months, he obviously doesn't like intruders.

There is a socalled expats club, but it isn't. Bussiness owners in Mendoza province exclusively.

I like intruders. PM me when you are here.

There is a formal Expat Club that meets once a month for brunch at the Hyatt, more active business type people. I have not been so I cannot really legitimately comment (and they probably consider me illegitimate :) ). http://www.mendozaexpats.org/index.htm
(but the site is not too active).from site "Regular club luncheons are held on the last Friday of most months at 1:30 pm at a local hotel or restaurant such as the Park Hyatt Mendoza, The Sheraton, or Anna Bistro. Family & Friends luncheons are held the second Saturday of a particular month at a Club member's winery, hotel, restaurant or home (two to three times per year).A special Happy Hour for Club members is held the second Friday of every month at 7:00 pm at Anna Bistro (Juan B. Justo 161).Upcoming EventsPlease email us at [email protected] regarding upcoming events

Check out : . http://www.mendozaexpats.org/index.htm

Please note that with the exception of the monthly Happy Hour at Anna Bistro, attendance of Club events is by invitation only with RSVP. To request an invitation to a specific event or a membership application, please email"'[email protected]. http://www.mendozaexpats.org/index.htm
Sounds kind of snotty, eh? As Groucho Marx said about Country Club that barred Jews like him: Ï would never join a club that would accept me as a member!" May be just your cup of tea though, I respect everyone.

I am the Canadian that LIKES intruders...even John.St! ;) :)

Reactions: P&J
@johnst

I'll promise to keep your secret safe. Of course, in reality, being mugged isn't really all that bad. It was a great chance for me to practice my Spanish but alas negotiating with ladies of the night is still beyond my reach. I love crime and feel so at home here. Mendoza is every bit the pit of despair you promised. Why just this afternoon an ice-cream I bought was loaded with way too much Dulce de Lece and it ended up dribbling down my fingers. I was outraged. If I wasn't quick witted enough to stuff the rest of it into my mouth, god knows what might have happened.

Lets just hope they don't try the same trick at the Bodegas.

@mendozanow

Thanks for that excellent response. I had a look at that expatmendoza site - pretty hectic stuff. Of course now I am once again the the akward position of having no excuse not to go for a run. Just when I'd managed to kick my BsAs exercise habit too. I'll send you a PM and maybe I can tag along.

mendozanow said:
I am the Canadian that LIKES intruders...even John.St! ;):)
Well, you had no choice, that's why :D

David, you above post should have been written in invisible ink readable only by Priscilla, James and me :D

P&J said:
... I love crime and feel so at home here. Mendoza is every bit the pit of despair you promised. Why just this afternoon an ice-cream I bought was loaded with way too much Dulce de Lece and it ended up dribbling down my fingers. I was outraged.
Shocking! Underscores the bad reputation Mendoza so deserves 'cause of the many dangers out here in the wild west :D:D

mendozanow said:
There is a formal Expat Club that meets once a month for brunch at the Hyatt, more active business type people. I have not been so I cannot really legitimately comment (and they probably consider me illegitimate :) ) . .. Please note that with the exception of the monthly Happy Hour at Anna Bistro, attendance of Club events is by invitation only with RSVP. To request an invitation to a specific event or a membership application ... Sounds kind of snotty, eh?
I have this plan:

Get invited to an event, show up in white tie with all the stuffings, make a round looking at each member, then say in my most Oxfordian accent "Oh!" (Aeouh!), then leave, nose in the air

- ain't I horrible? :D

Back