Expats not happy, why stay?

BlahBlah said:
What is actually different then where you come from?

My life is the same, I am just in a different place
Assuming that you are referring to my above posting:

"My people" in Danmark (there are different strata) can be trusted 100.0%

If one of "my people" says: "that's a deal" he will rather be found dead in a ditch than break his word.

If one of "my people" makes a promise, I know he will keep it, no matter the amount of his trouble or expenses.

If I lend one of "my people" money, I can forget about it, because I don't have to remind him to pay me back. If for some reason he can't pay at the agreed time, he will remind me of the debt until he can.

Not to ... is considered in line with cheating in cricket or cards.

One example I have observed at close quarters:

A "smart" store owner made a deal with a flower gardener.

The gardener was to deliver some 12,000 potted socalled "julestjerner" at an agreed price (nothing on paper). The gardener didn't have 12,000 so bought several thousands from collegues.

When he delivered the flowers, the store owner claimed a price lower by 1 DKK (18 cent US) each than had been agreed upon, or no deal, and the gardener had to accept the price to cover his expenses.

Everybody who knew the gardener, were aware that he would never cheat.
Over the next few days, the store lost customers at alarming rate, and the staff was beginning to look for new jobs because of questions like "how can you possibly work for a creep like that?".

The store owners only solution was to claim that he had suddenly "found" the note, he had made when they agreed on the price, that he realized he had made a mistake, and paid the difference.
It took him about a year to regain full customer confidence.

Also if one of "my people" say: "We'll meet tomorrow at 09:00", we are both present at 08:59 on the following day.

etc., etc., etc.

There are differences in culture one has to get used to - having spent about 1½ years in Chile and more or less the same in Argentina, I know what to expect from SA-culture, and I accept it, conditioned by having lived and travelled in some 20 or 25 countries around the world (don't even have an exact count of them anymore).

I have, however, found most people in the 15 or so towns I have visited in the provincias Argentinas to be - on the whole - honest and reliable.

Still: Not at home is not at home.

Reactions: RWS
John.St said:
Assuming that you are referring to my above posting:

"My people" in Danmark (there are different strata) can be trusted 100.0%

If one of "my people" says: "that's a deal" he will rather be found dead in a ditch than break his word.

If one of "my people" makes a promise, I know he will keep it, no matter the amount of his trouble or expenses.

If I lend one of "my people" money, I can forget about it, because I don't have to remind him to pay me back. If for some reason he can't pay at the agreed time, he will remind me of the debt until he can.

Not to ... is considered in line with cheating in cricket or cards.

One example I have observed at close quarters:

A "smart" store owner made a deal with a flower gardiner.

The gardiner was to deliver some 12,000 potted socalled "julestjerner" at an agreed price (nothing on paper). The gardiner didn't have 12,000 so bought several thousands from collegues.

When he delivered the flowers, the store owner claimed a price lower by 1 DKK (18 cent US) a piece than had been agreed upon, or no deal, and the gardiner had to accept the price to cover his expenses.

Everybody who knew the gardiner, were aware that he would never cheat.
Over the next few days, the store lost customers at alarming rate, and the staff were beginning to look for new jobs because of questions like "how can you possibly work for a creep like that?".

The store owners only solution was to claim that he had suddenly "found" the note, he had made when they agreed on the price, that he realized he had made a mistake, and paid the difference.
It took him about a year to regain full customer confidence.

Also if one of "my people" say: "We'll meet tomorrow at 09:00", we are both present at 08:59 on the following day.

etc., etc., etc.

There are differences in culture one has to get used to - having spent about 1½ years in Chile and more or less the same in Argentina, I know what to expect from SA-culture, and I accept it, conditioned by having lived and travelled in some 20 or 25 countries around the world (don't even have an exact count of them anymore).

I have, however, found most people in the 15 or so towns I have visited in the provincias Argentinas to be - on the whole - honest and reliable.

Still: Not at home is not at home.

If you need money you need to go to a bank

I think that considering the economic crisis the people that have stayed more then 2 years and continue to live here must be atleast comfortable to be here.

And for those fortunate enough to earn dollars, for many things, the cost of living has actually gone down as of late.

And the ones even more fortunatly to earn Euro's it has been going down or keeping the same for about 4 years

Yeah, well, if it wasn't for all the classism and anger and robbery and corruption throughout Buenos Aires, I bet a lot more expats would stay. It's sad really. It's sad to see a country with so much potential destroy itself. However, many DO stay and hope for the best. Some even try to make a change :)

How could you not understand the whining? We have more shrinks here per capita than anywhere in the known world. Why? Because the people here love to whine and complain.

It must be something in the water. If the expats drink the same water, but don't want to pay a shrink...this forum is their outlet.

How did you do in Psych 101?

Stanexpat said:
I think this a matter of perspective. If I was 22, looking to party full-time, B.A. would look like paradise. If I were a bit more mature married raising a family, having a real job, etc. I don't think B.A. would have much to offer unless I was working for a U.S. or European company. As a retired person I would be looking for is a pleasant place to live with a low cost of living which I didn't Argentina to be and have since left.

We didn't leave because we couldn't find peanut butter. The main complainer in my family was the wife. She is a native of South America and has lived there her entire life except about 10 years in the states. We had also lived in Europe and another South American country before we got there, so we weren't rookies in living overseas. Our problem with living there was the high level of corruption we encountered along with endless hassles of daily living. This is not in comparison with the U.S. but the former S.A. country we lived in.

One recommendation I can make for people who want to live there happily is to keep it simple. I have a good friend who lives there still and is happy as a clam. He's been there 8 years and doesn't speak 10 words of Spanish. He enjoys where he lives likes eating out etc. Since he doesn't know the language he really doesn't know what's going on which is probably a good think if you don't want to get frustrated. He doesn't own a car and goes everywhere by cab.

I think part of our problem is we decided to live outside of B.A. in a house which meant that our lives were much more complicated by having to have cars, having to find people to fix air conditioners and other things that break, dealing with the Argentine drivers, having much more exposure to the horrible government bureaucracy.

We found some good things there but these were more than offset by the negatives we encountered.

Excellent post. It really sums it all up.

RyanHairStylist said:
OK I have read what people are saying on here, and I find it very fascinating.

I just want to say Buenos Aires, like any other city is what you make of it.

I have been here for 2 years now, and the first 2 years were very difficult. And do you know why..... I made them difficult. In comparing things to where I have lived before... You don't have to be 60 years old to understand this...

I can't blame the city, or the people, or the dog poop, or anything else. it was me who chose to see things negatively.

And now I have peace here. I love this place, I love the dog poop(keeps you on your toes when walking down the street), and I love the dirtiness of the city(of which its not really that dirty compared to parts of Toronto, Vancouver, LA, where ever).
And I love the lack of things I could easily get at home...... makes it more challenging to cook, and more enjoyable.. use different recipies.....
It amazing how people come here and bitch they can't get peanut butter, or philly, or this or that.... you want it bring it in..... or go home.....
Besides most Argentine brands are amazing and have half of the crap in their ingredients..... simple .... good.... yummm...
Argentine food can be wonderfull. if you get bored of it , cook at home...... I think its simple, and sometimes i get frustrated, but IM NOT IN NORTH AMERICA ANYMORE.... Im here........hello...... leave Firdays... back home.....
I come from Canada, and everyone thinks its better. Well its the same here if not better.... In fact the bills are outrageously more expensive back home.

Getting a 25 peso bill for gas for 2 months, doesn't even compare to the $500 gas bills I got at home in Canada living in an old house every month.
Or running my air conditioner 24 hours a day and getting a 50 peso bill every 2 months, versus the $300 bill back home....

I don't make a lot of money here, but i am happy. I have money to do things I want to do...... It called I live the life of an Argentine( AN ex-pat argentine...;)tehehe). Took me 5 months to get a fridge... but it was worth it! I learned how to eat on a dime.... and cook everything fresh...
I love going to the Museums to check out the AMAZING Argentine Pieces of Art, to the wide array of global Art..... MOST ARE FREE
Free shows, plays, community gatherings..... more than i could find back home in Canada..

Canada is my home, but Argentina has my heart.

If you think the grass is going to be greener of the other side of the fence, your wrong, it has just as many weeds, smells the same and just as much dog shit....
This place is constant chaos, drama, ups downs, good bad, clean, dirty.... but to me its like any other big city in the world.
Argentina gives you the potential to grow and learn, and make a success of your self.

If anyone thinks they can come down here and conquer BsAs(Changing 40 million people's habits and customs) thinking your so rich or can do this because your not from here and you think you can do it better.... your wrong.....

And quite frankly, you think living in the United States or Canada right now is going to be better or safer.... your in for a rude awakening.......
Explain that to the 10's of thousands of people loosing guaranteed jobs every day... The world is going to experience what the Argentines have lived with forever..... They just do it with finesse here.... and a smile of their face..... weather you think it sucks here or not, is about your experience...... Everyone in life has a different experience.... That is what makes life so wonderfull........
No matter how much North Americans think we have it so bad, do some research on how they have lived here, the history and yet they still laugh make good wine, and great food. And will still invite you into their home even if it is just Mate and some cookies... which they bought with their last 10 pesos.. Just to have a chat with you...

And for people who say they are sooooooo spiritual... but have so many negative things to say........ Saying your spiritual, doesn't make you that way...... That fake it untill you make it or untill you believe in it doesn't work......
That peace comes from your heart...... and sole...

Explain that to the Millions of people here who live in the Villas and are 500times more happy then you. They are glad to have 1 light bulb in the house, and glad to wake up every day alive...... or get bread or have meat, or even eggs.... hell..... to not get shot.....
Slamming other people to make your self feel better is the opposite of spiritual... And writing horrible things about people in a blog or shaving your head in protest...... and sending photos of it is going to make you look like a sham...... fake.... and heartless..... Practice what you preach....... Karma is a bitch.....!!
Argentina rocks!
Now I'm off to yoga! All the best everyone!!!!!!!

Unbiased and honest post. It sums it all up without any prejudices.

Back