Expats not happy, why stay?

Cost of living is never a constant, Buenos Aires was ridiculously cheap when we first came here. I still belive it is reltively cheap, for day to day items. White goods and anything improted are mybe 50% more than the UK, but how often do I buy a fridge?
Prices are on the increase, but should there be another crash prices will tumble again.

RWS said:
I'd be interested in knowing which other South American country is less bureaucratic! Other than from brief visits, my only other first-hand South American experience is with Chile: the bureaucracy there is just as obdurate, though it may be a bit less corrupt.

The prior country I lived in was Peru. This is also corrupt but to a lesser extent. In Argentina we were subjected to attempted extortion by the tax authorities and were successfully swindled by the customs people for a large bribe. In Peru the corruption was on a smaller scale, 2 or 3 dollars to a policeman after a traffic stop or an extra $20 under the table in a government office to get better service. Peru is also bureaucratic but is a model of efficiency compared to what we found in Argentina. Also in Argentina the bureaucracy is also infected a lot of the private services as well. I have never seen such poor customer service and the number of problems you have when dealing with businesses there.

A good measure of the level of corruption is the amount of foreign investment. Low investment in places like Argentina indicates lack of rules, poor governance, lack of effective court to resolve issues. Argentina is close to the bottom of the list for countries in South America for the perceived level corruption. A graphic follows in the link below.

Image:World Map Index of perception of corruption.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stan, I applaud you for making a change for the better. And I totally agree, if I was a young 22 year old buck, BA would be the place for me!

IMO, Argentina's biggest shortcoming is the lack of efficiency. Flip side of it is people take time to be with family and friends. Also, I have a lot more time on my hands than I did/would in the States. If I had to wait in an hour line to make a bank deposit in the States, I would change banks until I found one that was more efficient. I still wish it was quicker, but for me, it is worth the trade off. The grass is always greener on the other side!

Thanks, Stan. Peru isn't a place I'd have considered for residence, and I'm . . . hmm . . . satisfied that one who has lived there can adduce reasons in keeping with my wariness.

For myself, I agree with SS: there's no paradise on this earth, but Argentina offers a good balance between advantages and disadvantages.

tangobob said:
Thanks for that ROFL:D

I am not yet permanent ( still have to earn a living at home) I love this city and can think of nowhere I would rather live, But, a lot of the criticisms are true.
A realistic view is always worth having before you move anywhere and for me the plus points far out weigh the dog crap and broken pavements.
Definitely, many of the things that people bitch about are true. In fact, I've been here not even a week & my knees are killing me. I'm no billy goat! I even fell over this afternoon, tripped on an invisible something or other.

Personally, I think it's they _way_ people bitch that is unpleasant, or maybe it's just the way people come across in writing on internet forums.

Participating in internet forums has made me realized that I'm a very bad writer... my dreams of becoming a famous romance novelist have been dashed! ;) Maybe others are the same? They are trying to say one thing & another is perceived by the reader? Maybe?

mini said:
Personally, I think it's they _way_ people bitch that is unpleasant, or maybe it's just the way people come across in writing on internet forums.

Scathing and terse remarks keep forums (most forums) interesting.

Otherwise it would be like reading tedious, dreary blogs written in cafes by gap year dreamers.

(see ;))

...I have to say that RWS provides some exceptional english language and vocabulary - todays word of the day - 'obdurate' - bravo RWS keep it up!

Why, thank you, FF! Perhaps I still dream of becoming a famous romance novelist!

Fishface said:
Scathing and terse remarks keep forums (most forums) interesting.

Otherwise it would be like reading tedious, dreary blogs written in cafes by gap year dreamers.

(see ;))
Of course, getting information and answers to practical questions bring people to forums, the banter & drama keeps people there. It's when there is _too_ much scathing and little else that forums implode. How to keep the balance between banter, scathing, & information? That's the eternal question and there are forums dedicated even to discussing just that!

Fishface said:
...I have to say that RWS provides some exceptional english language and vocabulary - todays word of the day - 'obdurate' - bravo RWS keep it up!

RWS said:
Why, thank you, FF! Perhaps I still dream of becoming a famous romance novelist!

I guess it depends on how you are using the word "obdurate".... (opps!)

mini said:
Participating in internet forums has made me realized that I'm a very bad writer... my dreams of becoming a famous romance novelist have been dashed! ;) Maybe others are the same? They are trying to say one thing & another is perceived by the reader? Maybe?

I have to agree there, I have unintentionaly upset a few people on this site. It is sometimes hard to grasp the tone of a posting as you cannot read the persons body language, Perhaps the smilies will help.

Bitchers and naggers should pick it up and move on to Somalia, where "interesting" things happen & they would have to run home everyday. :eek: Corruption & inflation is everywhere, some are worse than others. It's their fault for not being prepared for the consequences of moving out of their "little" comfort zone. :D

Back