Expats not happy, why stay?

I compare the moaners to the little englanders, who every year fly over to spain and complain that they cannot get fish and chips or Sunday lunch.
If you travel to a foriegn country (any country) it will be different, surely that is the point of travel.
We all like a moan now and again but if you want the US/England/europe (the list goes on) then stay at home.
Travel (as Mike said) gets you out of the comfort zone, enjoy the differences.
I still hate the broken pavements, dog crap, and cheating taxistas though.

I have some news for all of you, I am originally from New York. There are a lot more broken sidewalks, more dog crap and wierd non-english speaking taxi drivers in the Big Apple than anywhere else. I agree with the sentiment in this blog, what is the point of being here if you have so many complaints and don't like it? Some of us love it here and wouldn´t trade it.

I have never been anywhere where taxi drivers round down the fare because they dont want to be bothered to give change...
Same thing happens to me at my neighborhood Maxi-Kiosk.

You wont see that thru the bullet proof 1" thick plastic at the korean grocery store in South Central LA, I can tell you that.

There are lots of great things about BsAs- and there are bad things. But I am in the USA right now, and I feel almost a physical pain at wanting to be back in Buenos Aires soon.

Sure, I could bitch a lot. The food is often bland, and nobody understands spice, or the absolute necessity of fresh black pepper in a grinder at dinner.

But I was just in Santa Barbara Ca., and there is an "argentinian" restaurant there, and they want something like $8 (25 pesos) for a Choripan.
I know a place I can get a much better one for 3 pesos...

Ries, whenever I am back in SB, I eat Mexican food almost every meal.

Super Rica Rules!!
Was there Friday Night, ate potato, zuchinni,and chicken enchiladas, a chile rellano with all kinds of amazing veggies inside, a couple of suizo's, and chased it down with some Negra Modelo's.

I did NOT eat at the Argentinian Restaurant.

Ries said:
Super Rica Rules!!
Was there Friday Night, ate potato, zuchinni,and chicken enchiladas, a chile rellano with all kinds of amazing veggies inside, a couple of suizo's, and chased it down with some Negra Modelo's.

Your killing me over here, stop it!

I agree..and disagree with alot of stuff on the forum. But it all comes down to what your experience has been here. Anyone having to struggle alot through the beurocractic system will undoutably be more sour ( been there... drowning in paperwork ).

I've lived in Zimbabwe, Canada and now living in Argentina. Every place has its bad and good points ( tho Zimbabwe right now is a complete right off (dont get me started).

Or the fact that you have a donough`s I don´t know the name chain and a starbucks every one block made you happy?
If the gap between the poor and the rich in Argentina is and has been on the rise (personally I believe to the lack of investment in education and public services), in Peru the fact is, there are only rich and poor, to the point where the doormen at the hotels would almost kneel and grab your handbag to get an extra tip.
Add to this the racial ethnic different populations within Peru and the gap is immensely broad compared to that of Argentina. Peru has intrinsicate problems, the problems in Argentina are Argentines.
The country has all the potential to be among the top 10, talented workforce, excellent land, despite the government´s inertia and disregard for higher universities, we can still boast of the best public universities in SA (only Chile could score higher), no racial issues, many countries in one, top notch virgin and natural areas........
The consciousness that the low class have of themselves as inferiors and the fact that a middle high class family in Lima has three four maids (I always wondered how much they get paid?), made my self sick. What argentine middle class family has such a household service? Perez Companc? Rocca? The macris? Who else?
A penny for your thoughts, and I would love an honest answer is your wife peruvian, by any chance?

mysweetladyjenny said:
. . . . Argentina. . . . can still boast of the best public universities in SA (only Chile could score higher) . . . .
This continues to puzzle me, despite some conversations on the subject with Argentine friends and family: until no more than twenty years ago, Argentina, with all its mismanagement and corruption, was definitely the foremost Latin American nation educationally, culturally, and economically. Now, both Brazil and Chile bid fair to surpass Argentina in all these areas. Why doesn't patriotism or even envy stir Argentines to reform their ways (even simply by copying Chilean straightforwardness -- less corruption) and regain pre-eminence?

('Sorry to be so blunt, but the anonymity of the 'Web affords me opportunity to ask directly what I cannot of friends and family without hurting or embarrassing them.)

mysweetladyjenny said:
Or the fact that you have a donough`s I don´t know the name chain and a starbucks every one block made you happy?
If the gap between the poor and the rich in Argentina is and has been on the rise (personally I believe to the lack of investment in education and public services), in Peru the fact is, there are only rich and poor, to the point where the doormen at the hotels would almost kneel and grab your handbag to get an extra tip.
Add to this the racial ethnic different populations within Peru and the gap is immensely broad compared to that of Argentina. Peru has intrinsicate problems, the problems in Argentina are Argentines.
The country has all the potential to be among the top 10, talented workforce, excellent land, despite the government´s inertia and disregard for higher universities, we can still boast of the best public universities in SA (only Chile could score higher), no racial issues, many countries in one, top notch virgin and natural areas........
The consciousness that the low class have of themselves as inferiors and the fact that a middle high class family in Lima has three four maids (I always wondered how much they get paid?), made my self sick. What argentine middle class family has such a household service? Perez Companc? Rocca? The macris? Who else?
A penny for your thoughts, and I would love an honest answer is your wife peruvian, by any chance?

Not sure but I guess this is directed at me. Sorry but I'm not really sure what your point is. My point was that I found Argentina worse in the corruption area than Peru and that it negatively impacted my perception of the place. I also said that the level of investment in a country is a good measure of corruption or the level of confidence people have in a place. In Peru the country credit rating was recently raised to investment grade, while Argentina's has been downgraded more than once. I believe only Brazil, Chile, and Peru have their debt rated as investment grade today.

Back