Expats Trekking/climbing/outdoors group...

A few people go horseback riding in Parque Pereyra Iraola - which is a nice outdoor activity close to BA. This is a "light" outdoor activity which does require much travel or time.

I really miss being outside! Does anyone know of places near BA that you can do day hikes and camp? I don´t have the time or money right now to do some big trek but I would be very interested in a weekend excursion...

Not sure if people are aware about this -

When I was preparing to come to Argentina, I posted about living out in Avellaneda, outside of the usual ex-pat hangouts. I only received one reply from a fello native english speaker, Mike, and he suggested getting together for a drink/coffee/dinner upon my arrival.

I pm'd him last week, telling him I was here and settling in, and how about that drink. Yesterday I received a mail from his girlfriend, telling me that he had tragically been killed on Aconcagua on a third descent of the mountain along the Polish Glacier.

Here is a link http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2009/12/early-season-death-on-aconcagua.html

I never got to meet Mike, but I am saddened to hear of his death, and pass my condolences on to his friends and family.

How incredibly sad :(

I just started reading this thread and was thinking how wonderful it was that people were connecting and that Mike probably made some great friends to share some adventures with.

This is Mike´s ex GF we are terribly sad about Michael´s death. Here I post what the newspapers in Argentina and in the rest of the world wrote:
http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2009/12/early-season-death-on-aconcagua.html

And here it is what the last person who was at the summit said (I proved that picture was taken with Mike´s camera) so he is telling the truth

http://www.alpinismonline.com/index.asp?lang=EN

please draw your own conclusions , as Argentinian I recomend , do not trust anyone if you feel tired when climbing return.

Mike,

Great post! Just like Jeff, i too moved from Colorado. I have only been here for about a week and am already kicking myself for leaving my camping gear behind as method to bring less!

I would be more than interested in getting some camping together and exploring the many places Argentina has to offer. Bariloche is definitely a hot spot on my list. Let me know if you guys ever meet up to discuss options.

Besos,
Chelsie

People my ex BF Mike1 in this forum was found dead on Aconcagua. I would like someone to help me delete his account because there are many people here who did not read my post where I say that Mike was found dead on Aconcagua summit and they are still sending Mike´s account private messages. Thanks Mariel

Hi - not sure if this thread is closed, but I would like to accompany any expats for outdoor activities. I recently moved to BA as well with my girlfriend and we're both aching to get out to the mountains or at least some day hikes near BA. Bariloche, El Chalten, El Calafate are on my hot list as well.

cameronius said:
Hi - not sure if this thread is closed, but I would like to accompany any expats for outdoor activities. I recently moved to BA as well with my girlfriend and we're both aching to get out to the mountains or at least some day hikes near BA. Bariloche, El Chalten, El Calafate are on my hot list as well.

Check out my website: TrekBariloche.com if you need advice on any of the treks just let me know, I live in Bariloche.

Back