Experiences Getting Usd At Atms Colonia??

rioplatense

Registered
Hi everyone,

has anyone been lately to Colonia and has withdrawn USD with a credit card at an ATM?

I wanted to check on that because the last time I went aprox. 3 months ago I faced the situation that many banks are not giving USD with a credit card anymore, e.g. BBVA or Santander. In the past I was able to withdraw at any ATM with a european card, but obviously something changed.

When I asked in one of the banks the clerk told me that it had to to with the fact that the card has a chip on it. I actually didnt understand why this is a reason for not giving money but she wasnt able to give me more details.
She pointed at Discount Bank saying that there it should work. Which it didnt, because at the machine it showed a sign that its temporarily not posible to draw money with credit cards with chips.

Finally I was able to draw money at Scotiabank in front of the main square. Another suprise there was that ATMs are now giving only a maximim of 1000 per day per card. Seems that this is the same with all the banks.

Has anyone encountered the same problems lately? And does someone know which ATMs are still working with foreign credit cards with chips on it?

Thanks in advance for sharing experiences.

Back