expired visa

lrngrg

Registered
Hey, so I just haven't been thinking about my visa or anything at all, and I just realized it expired a week ago. I'm leaving in late April, should I wait and pay the fine at the airport or go renew it at the immigrations office now? thanks in advance.

I would wait, personally. As far as I'm aware, they don't write a "degree of lateness" in the passport when you overstay, so I doubt it will hurt future entries that you may make, any worse than if you 'fess up now and pay the fine. Either way you'll still have the stamp in your passport saying you overstayed.

Once expired, your tourist visa cannot be extended at migraciones.

Just pay the fine at the airport when you leave.

I would just recommend doing it no later than 90 days after it expired. That could cause you more trouble.

As for a stamp saying you overstayed your visa, I'm not aware of that. I just overstayed my visa, paid the fine, and as far as I can tell, I have nothing in my passport saying that I did.

use2brew said:
I would just recommend doing it no later than 90 days after it expired. That could cause you more trouble.

/QUOTE]

I doubt it.

My girlfriend overstayed her visa and payed at the airport. She said she had to go to a few desks then a bank, then back to a desk. I am leaving tomorrow night and I'm wondering if it matters what time I go... as in, if I have to go to some bank, do I have to worry about it being closed?

It might be a silly question, but I've seen stranger things here...

I did all this the past weekend. I would get to the airport early (like 4 hours before your flight). Then you go to immgration, wait a bit, have 3-4 people look at your passport, wait a bit longer, then have someone start the paperwork. thent hey give you a form, you go to the bank about 100 feet away, pay the fine, the go back to immigration, wait a bit, then give them your paperwork back. They take what they need, give you back some paperwork and then you can check in for your flight. It's not that big of deal.

arty said:
I did all this the past weekend. I would get to the airport early (like 4 hours before your flight). Then you go to immgration, wait a bit, have 3-4 people look at your passport, wait a bit longer, then have someone start the paperwork. thent hey give you a form, you go to the bank about 100 feet away, pay the fine, the go back to immigration, wait a bit, then give them your paperwork back. They take what they need, give you back some paperwork and then you can check in for your flight. It's not that big of deal.

So it's not a typical bank with normal bank hours?

Back