eze aduanas

what the heck is a "stanley" ?

interestingly, in europe stanley is used referring to the Stanley Knife patented in 1886 by William Ford Robinson Stanley (british) as opposed to the Stanley Bottle invented by a William Stanley Jr. (american) in 1913 . Two different companies/brands

There are better Thermoses you can buy in the US...

I amassed a rather large thermos collection pre-expat days. I do not believe a better modern thermos exists than the Stanley Master Series thermos.

The Yeti offerings do not come with a cup lid and are even more expensive than the master series Stanleys (hefty market department budget absorption probably). The Thermos brand is about as good as the Stanley classic/adventure. The Zojirushi is somewhere between the Yeti and Stanley classic but also more expensive.

The glass-lined serving carafes made in the USA decades ago by Thermos brand are tops in its category. The charcoal powder days of metal thermos tech has a long list of contenders, but probably the Nissan Titanium wins, and may take the title of all-time champion.

But yes, the sheer ridiculousness of the price of Stanleys here is notable. I'd tote the ind. arg. Luminox with pride (without its very lame lid cup).

These things sell for like 20,000+ ARS when i can buy them for 20 USD.

Argentines _love_ name brands. There are better Thermoses you can buy in the US... but if it doesn't say Stanley no one knows how privileged you are.

My favorite is when you see some Peronista rioting in the street fighting for the common person... but the water for their mate is coming out of a 100$ thermos.

apparently $100 is an incredible cost to pay for something you use for decades, and also you're not allowed to care about poor people if you have a $100 thermos. the second that you make any money, you are legally obligated to become a ruthless capitalist who doesn't give a shit about anyone else. makes sense!

I amassed a rather large thermos collection pre-expat days. I do not believe a better modern thermos exists than the Stanley Master Series thermos.

The Yeti offerings do not come with a cup lid and are even more expensive than the master series Stanleys (hefty market department budget absorption probably). The Thermos brand is about as good as the Stanley classic/adventure. The Zojirushi is somewhere between the Yeti and Stanley classic but also more expensive.

The glass-lined serving carafes made in the USA decades ago by Thermos brand are tops in its category. The charcoal powder days of metal thermos tech has a long list of contenders, but probably the Nissan Titanium wins, and may take the title of all-time champion.

But yes, the sheer ridiculousness of the price of Stanleys here is notable. I'd tote the ind. arg. Luminox with pride (without its very lame lid cup).
The real Stanley thing is the pour lid honestly.

Yeti does have a pour lid nowadays, but it is pricier than the 20$ stanley. Hydroflask will have cheap thermos's but no good pour cap. Yeti is far superior in its size for putting ice in.

OK, thanks for the answers. When I hear Stanley I think power tools.
Like most US brands of tools, Stanley is cheap foreign-made trash now, but back in the day they made good gear.

apparently $100 is an incredible cost to pay for something you use for decades, and also you're not allowed to care about poor people if you have a $100 thermos. the second that you make any money, you are legally obligated to become a ruthless capitalist who doesn't give a shit about anyone else. makes sense!
Peronism is all about made in Argentina and supporting local industry. If you believe in that to the point of being a “militante”, then put your money where your mouth is and buy local whenever there are locally made products available. If not, admit inefficiency and open the market to foreign competition removing the tariffs (giving that “$100” thermos a $50 price tag in the local market so that even more companerxs will be able to afford and enjoy the same quality.)

Same goes for the branded phones, computers, clothes, shoes and more that are favorite imports of monied Argentines of all political persuasions. Even Máximo Kirchner loves his Vans as much as Javier Milei loves his Apple phone when there are no shortages of locally made sneakers or smart phones.

It has nothing to do with “caring” for other people or being capitalist or not. It has everything to do with being a Grade A hipócrita, however.

Last edited:
For those following along, no problem with my 3 50lb+ bags of toys and clothes for my kids.

These guys are growing like weeds and its good to have clothes for the next 2 years ready.

They did want to look at my picture hanging 3M stickers. But no problem.

Out of curiosity I checked the local Mercado Libre site for Staley thermos.
The prices are ridiculous. I’m not a mate drinker, so nothing to worry about here.

$22K for a $20 thermos? Jesus, I know what I'm having my mom bring when she visits...

New tipo de cambio "Stanley"

I saw them being advertised on Tienda Mia and I was like "There's thermoses here though?
What's so special about Stanley? You can get them at Walmart." and now I know...

Back