Fabled cafe La Biela likely to close permanently

Why such PASSION about La Biela? I'm baffled - or maybe missing the point.
Or perhaps Sergio feels about it the same way I felt about Confiteria Richmond. A whole way of life went with it.

I have already commented on the Richmond which I used to visit frequently. You must have missed my comments. I was very sorry to see it go. I am not sure what happened except that Calle Florida went downhill a long time ago and probably with the decline lost many customers. I really don't know. Like La Biela, it was one of the few remaining old style cafes. What annoys me are comments by people who don't frequent place like La Biela or the Richmond who think anything traditional should adapt to their tastes. There are hundreds, probably thousands, of nondescript places playing pop music and serving whatever food it is they want. There is very little left of old Buenos Aires for those of us who want something different -- convivial places without music where you can have conversation or just sit in peace. So much of old Buenos Aires has vanished and with it much of the charm and uniqueness of the city. Anyway, what is causing places to close is the quarantine. If things were normal,. we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Confitería La Ideal on Suipacha y Corrientes. Another land mark gone. At tea time Tuesdays? was Tango lessons. An aging Gentleman played the Bandoneon with a handkerchief on his knees, and two Demoiselles circa 1935 danced together . Near the end.Truly decadent .

During its heyday La Ideal...was visited by : Maurice Chevalier, Vittorio Gassman, María Félix, Robert Duvall,; Alan Parker filmed scenes of Evita and Carlos Saura of Tango. In 1998, Yoko Ono visited La Ideal and said: " Be fair to yourselves and don't destroy your Cultural Heritage". A clairvoyant ?

Is..View attachment 7102
The Ideal was architecturally spectacular but as long as I've known it - since about 1990 - it''s been a mess - desperately in need of restoration, dirty. I remember checkered tablecloths that seemed never to be changed. It was not a tango hall until later years. It was a confitería, not a tourist haunt. As much as I loved the architecture I couldn't bear going in there and seeing the place in such wretched condition.

I also mourn the Petit Cafe, on Santa Fe near Callao. A whole culture developed around it, young dandies being called "Petiteros". The sweating masses made fun of them and their navy blazers: "Dos tajitos, tres botones, Petiteros, maricones"

And Confiteria Ideal, Suipacha near Corrientes. There was a movie theatre right next to it. Perfect combination - a movie, with a scrumptious tea after it.

Last edited:
A bit of good news: after many years of neglect, la Ideal is being restored. This article, with great photos, appeared in La Nacion, April 18, 2019

pivot to what? mini skirts? I have to REPEAT, before the economic crisis LA BIELA was a very busy place. They didn't need to attract hipsters. And everyone at LA BIELA is not 93 years old!
I live a block away from la biela and my wife and I go there often. The men’s bathroom is too messy too often, the waiters either hate working there or seem too old to care; the place is empty far too often, the Internet or WiFi is horrible.
If you don’t reinvest, if you don’t upgrade, if you don’t improve, you get get old and I know a lot about that because I am old too. Whereas a place like la biela can invest in itself to keep young, an old person like me is irretrievable old and just getting older. No money or pívot can change that but la biela can and it’s sad that it doesn’t.

I live a block away from la biela and my wife and I go there often. The men’s bathroom is too messy too often, the waiters either hate working there or seem too old to care; the place is empty far too often, the Internet or WiFi is horrible.
If you don’t reinvest, if you don’t upgrade, if you don’t improve, you get get old and I know a lot about that because I am old too. Whereas a place like la biela can invest in itself to keep young, an old person like me is irretrievable old and just getting older. No money or pívot can change that but la biela can and it’s sad that it doesn’t.
The bathroom always reveals the reality.

Bathrooms are my test of cleanliness for a place selling food ... to eat there, to take away or to buy the ingredients to bring home. It's all the same to me as it is food. Often times, the bathroom / restroom that is provided for patrons in a business selling food, is the same one used by it's employees.

Whenever I see a bathroom that is a shambles, unless the place has something I need very badly (There are always exceptions. I am not going to lie.) ... I simply leave and do not return. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have observed bad bathrooms translating into bad employee hygiene and facility uncleanliness. A well taken care of restroom is a strong sign to me that all is well within.

I am sure we have all observed an employee in a restroom when we are using it. It says a lot if the employee washes their hands before leaving. It's not a perfect world, but this is an area to watch for.

And then there is the fellow patron, which I have a lot less faith in and expectation of ...

Basically ... I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS anymore. Nothing is more disappointing to me than observing the patron who uses the restroom and does not wash their hands prior to walking back to the dining area. Then, you observe the same patron serving themself at the buffet. DISGUSTING is the best work that comes to mind. In a setting like this, we are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain ... basically ... broken. No, I do not go to buffets!

They say you eat a peck of dirt in your lifetime. And there is truth to that ... but why help it along. And there is a fine line between clean and germaphobe, I know that. So there needs to be a balance for sure.

My two cents!

Why do you go often if you don't like it? Agreed that the WIFI is unreliable. Bathrooms? Acceptable in my opinion. They upgraded them some years ago. Paper towels and soap are always in supply. They also invested in all new chairs and tables. Considering the size of the place, that must have been a major expense. Employee hygiene? I have no reason to believe that it is not good. I have seen employees wash their hands. Often empty? It's quiet at off peak hours but generally is quite busy, often to capacity on weekends. What cafes (not restaurants) do you consider up to your standards? Could you recommend a couple not to far from La Biela that don't play music.

Another cafe that hasn't been mentioned is Josephina at Guido and Juncal. There are actually two salons separated from each other. For years this was owned and managed by a German who ran it with impressive efficiency. He decorated the place with antique oil paintings, always played classical music. He spoke Spanish and English as well as German. Knew his customers and often sat and chatted with them. The place was always packed. I believe his key to success was his near constant presence. When he was not there you noted the difference. Sadly he died a few years ago. I don't know who is running it now but it's not as good as it used to be. Maintenance is not as good, the classical music has been replaced by pop and there doesn't seem to be any manager in charge. Still it was doing very well.

The bathroom always reveals the reality.

Bathrooms are my test of cleanliness for a place selling food ... to eat there, to take away or to buy the ingredients to bring home. It's all the same to me as it is food. Often times, the bathroom / restroom that is provided for patrons in a business selling food, is the same one used by it's employees.

Whenever I see a bathroom that is a shambles, unless the place has something I need very badly (There are always exceptions. I am not going to lie.) ... I simply leave and do not return. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have observed bad bathrooms translating into bad employee hygiene and facility uncleanliness. A well taken care of restroom is a strong sign to me that all is well within.

I am sure we have all observed an employee in a restroom when we are using it. It says a lot if the employee washes their hands before leaving. It's not a perfect world, but this is an area to watch for.

And then there is the fellow patron, which I have a lot less faith in and expectation of ...

Basically ... I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS anymore. Nothing is more disappointing to me than observing the patron who uses the restroom and does not wash their hands prior to walking back to the dining area. Then, you observe the same patron serving themself at the buffet. DISGUSTING is the best work that comes to mind. In a setting like this, we are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain ... basically ... broken. No, I do not go to buffets!

They say you eat a peck of dirt in your lifetime. And there is truth to that ... but why help it along. And there is a fine line between clean and germaphobe, I know that. So there needs to be a balance for sure.

My two cents!

You are right about buffets. There are lots of health risks. It's also built on the idea of over consumption. Even if it's a place like the Alvear Palace I dislike the idea of eating more than necessary just because you're paying a high price. And I don't like having to serve myself. It's not relaxing.

Why do you go often if you don't like it? Agreed that the WIFI is unreliable. Bathrooms? Acceptable in my opinion. They upgraded them some years ago. Paper towels and soap are always in supply. They also invested in all new chairs and tables. Considering the size of the place, that must have been a major expense. Employee hygiene? I have no reason to believe that it is not good. I have seen employees wash their hands. Often empty? It's quiet at off peak hours but generally is quite busy, often to capacity on weekends. What cafes (not restaurants) do you consider up to your standards? Could you recommend a couple not to far from La Biela that don't play music.

Another cafe that hasn't been mentioned is Josephina at Guido and Juncal. There are actually two salons separated from each other. For years this was owned and managed by a German who ran it with impressive efficiency. He decorated the place with antique oil paintings, always played classical music. He spoke Spanish and English as well as German. Knew his customers and often sat and chatted with them. The place was always packed. I believe his key to success was his near constant presence. When he was not there you noted the difference. Sadly he died a few years ago. I don't know who is running it now but it's not as good as it used to be. Maintenance is not as good, the classical music has been replaced by pop and there doesn't seem to be any manager in charge. Still it was doing very well.
[/QUOTE
GREAT POINT!

There was a local, family owned restaurant where I grew up. The place was a machine. It was the pace! The food / atmosphere was superb.

The glue that held it altogether was the founder / owner who was always dressed in a neatly pressed suit, handkerchief in his breast pocket along with a fresh flower on his lapel. Every Saturday night, he was there greeting patrons at the door as well as thanking them for their patronage upon their exit. This person did this into his mid eighties. I think his business, his love of people and his need to be around others enriched his life. But I'll never know for sure. (I think it is a great guess though.)

Unfortunately, he could not live forever. His health failed and he passed away ... leaving his "empire" in the hands of his descendants, who as you may have guessed by now, could not match him for his enthusiasm. Over the next handful of years business dropped off and the place ultimately shuttered. A local college purchasedthe property for the privilege of acquiring a satellite parking lot. (That was code for bought the place and knocked down the building to make a parking lot!)

Nothing lasts forever, enjoy what ever it is you like or do, because time will ravage it eventually.

I miss this place, but I'll always have a nice memory of it.

You are right about buffets. There are lots of health risks. It's also built on the idea of over consumption. Even if it's a place like the Alvear Palace I dislike the idea of eating more than necessary just because you're paying a high price. And I don't like having to serve myself. It's not relaxing.
Buffets ... hmmmmm ...

I'd like to add a little more ...

I have to volunteer ... my current attitude toward buffets has evolved over time and I had some help along the way (Listening to the thoughts of others.) as I formed my current point of view.

You nailed it! Buffets do encourage overconsumption. People turn into gluttons in an effort to realize their value. At the tail end of my patronage of buffets, I had evolved into simply eating a little of this, a little of that and leaving it at that. No seconds, certainly no thirds! (The cleanliness of employees and patrons alike was my tipping point.)

The floating buffet restaurants (Cruise industry.) have been the bastion of the lower class for awhile now. The days of the affluence of The QE 2 are lost. A transatlantic crossing is dead!

I am blessed to not be "behind the eight ball" in life. I can afford just about whatever I like ... within reason. Buildings, aircraft, world class yachts, etc ... along with that trophy partner will be forever out of my reach. And I have no problem with that because I think crossing that line is an exchange of happiness for material possessions.) Anyway ... I prefer to go to a full service restaurant in the nicest place there is. To enjoy great cuisine, in an incredible environment / setting, served by ladies and gentlemen who know their profession well. (And yes, they receive the correct thank you from me = gratuity / propina! They know they were appreciated upon my exit. And if I am a regular, they welcome me and my guests back with open arms.

There is no better experience than to dine in a great restaurant, with great standards and cuisine. Even better if they allow only 1 or 2 covers though the evening. The table is yours, the meal is pleasant. You are the guest. Order whatever you like and enjoy it immensely.

Basically, you receive what you pay for in this life. (Is that guy from another thread who is seeking an immigration attorney reading this? - I sure as heck hope so.) People and places need the correct motivation to perform. It's called money and the more plentiful it is, the better the experience becomes or the quality of the product if that be the case.

People are resigned to chase value or low price because of need or programming by society. I understand it. I speculate that I am in the minority here, but I am only representing me. I have worked too hard to not enjoy myself. I am blessed.

Lastly, I thank and appreciate every person who interacts with me when I am out and about in this world. I am gracious and humble always.

Back