Fabled cafe La Biela likely to close permanently

My neighborhood club has a good restaurant, run by the Pedersen family. Every Thursday there's a buffet dinner - Tenedor Libre. Went only once, and was sadly disappointed - felt like they put in the buffet what did not sell during the week. The only good thing was the prosciutto platter - must confess I polished half of it by myself.

My neighborhood club has a good restaurant, run by the Pedersen family. Every Thursday they have a buffet dinner - Tenedor Libre. Went only once, and was sadly disappointed - looked like they put in the buffet what did not sell during the week. The only good thing was the prosciutto platter - must confess I polished half of it by myself.

Very true . I used to do the same at the Alvear Palace, L'Orangerie, Lunch Buffet . Eat a Platter of smoked salmon to recoup the investment $$.

The bathroom always reveals the reality.

Bathrooms are my test of cleanliness for a place selling food ... to eat there, to take away or to buy the ingredients to bring home. It's all the same to me as it is food. Often times, the bathroom / restroom that is provided for patrons in a business selling food, is the same one used by it's employees.

Whenever I see a bathroom that is a shambles, unless the place has something I need very badly (There are always exceptions. I am not going to lie.) ... I simply leave and do not return. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have observed bad bathrooms translating into bad employee hygiene and facility uncleanliness. A well taken care of restroom is a strong sign to me that all is well within.

I am sure we have all observed an employee in a restroom when we are using it. It says a lot if the employee washes their hands before leaving. It's not a perfect world, but this is an area to watch for.

And then there is the fellow patron, which I have a lot less faith in and expectation of ...

Basically ... I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS anymore. Nothing is more disappointing to me than observing the patron who uses the restroom and does not wash their hands prior to walking back to the dining area. Then, you observe the same patron serving themself at the buffet. DISGUSTING is the best work that comes to mind. In a setting like this, we are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain ... basically ... broken. No, I do not go to buffets!

They say you eat a peck of dirt in your lifetime. And there is truth to that ... but why help it along. And there is a fine line between clean and germaphobe, I know that. So there needs to be a balance for sure.

My two cents!
Speaking of bathrooms, when I am in that area, which is very close to where I used to live, I would always use Alvear Palace as my bathroom, it's a little weird to get to the second floor bathroom through narrow stairs, but the paper towel there is fantastic, 100 times better than napkins at any restaurant in BA.

Buffets ... hmmmmm ...

I'd like to add a little more ...

I have to volunteer ... my current attitude toward buffets has evolved over time and I had some help along the way (Listening to the thoughts of others.) as I formed my current point of view.

You nailed it! Buffets do encourage overconsumption. People turn into gluttons in an effort to realize their value. At the tail end of my patronage of buffets, I had evolved into simply eating a little of this, a little of that and leaving it at that. No seconds, certainly no thirds! (The cleanliness of employees and patrons alike was my tipping point.)

The floating buffet restaurants (Cruise industry.) have been the bastion of the lower class for awhile now. The days of the affluence of The QE 2 are lost. A transatlantic crossing is dead!

I am blessed to not be "behind the eight ball" in life. I can afford just about whatever I like ... within reason. Buildings, aircraft, world class yachts, etc ... along with that trophy partner will be forever out of my reach. And I have no problem with that because I think crossing that line is an exchange of happiness for material possessions.) Anyway ... I prefer to go to a full service restaurant in the nicest place there is. To enjoy great cuisine, in an incredible environment / setting, served by ladies and gentlemen who know their profession well. (And yes, they receive the correct thank you from me = gratuity / propina! They know they were appreciated upon my exit. And if I am a regular, they welcome me and my guests back with open arms.

There is no better experience than to dine in a great restaurant, with great standards and cuisine. Even better if they allow only 1 or 2 covers though the evening. The table is yours, the meal is pleasant. You are the guest. Order whatever you like and enjoy it immensely.

Basically, you receive what you pay for in this life. (Is that guy from another thread who is seeking an immigration attorney reading this? - I sure as heck hope so.) People and places need the correct motivation to perform. It's called money and the more plentiful it is, the better the experience becomes or the quality of the product if that be the case.

People are resigned to chase value or low price because of need or programming by society. I understand it. I speculate that I am in the minority here, but I am only representing me. I have worked too hard to not enjoy myself. I am blessed.

Lastly, I thank and appreciate every person who interacts with me when I am out and about in this world. I am gracious and humble always.

i'm happy to tell you that transatlantic crossings are not dead. The pandemic has put the Queen Mary 2 out of service for awhile but the ship is scheduled for frequent New York-Southampton crossings in 2021 and 2022. You do not have to eat in a buffet. Most passengers choose to eat dinner, and many breakfast and lunch, in the formal dining rooms. The Cunard Line is very traditional, so if that's what you're looking for you still have the chance to cross the Atlantic in style.

There was another cafe/restaurant that I am pretty sure has disappeared, the King George on Avenida Santa Fe not far from Callao as I recall. They had to change their name during the war with Britain ! Sometime after they reverted to King George.

There was another cafe/restaurant that I am pretty sure has disappeared, the King George on Avenida Santa Fe not far from Callao as I recall. They had to change their name during the war with Britain ! Sometime after they reverted to King George.

Gone gone replaced by Buenos Aires Grill. Next door to Babieca will this landmark survive..! now that Ricardo Fort is dead..! Juanito aldo dead..!

Walked by La Biela this afternoon. They appeared to be doing quite well with the take away business.

Gone gone replaced by Buenos Aires Grill. Next door to Babieca will this landmark survive..! now that Ricardo Fort is dead..! Juanito aldo dead..!
Buenos Aires Grill is a chain store. I always enjoy their meat and steak. The quality is decent and consistent, desert is good. Price is reasonable and never inflated. I am talking about the same store close Callao, next to the book store. Always easy to find a table and have a good meal, their vacio (flank) is fantastic if you happen to encounter a good piece.

Buenos Aires Grill is a chain store. I always enjoy their meat and steak. The quality is decent and consistent, desert is good. Price is reasonable and never inflated. I am talking about the same store close Callao, next to the book store. Always easy to find a table and have a good meal, their vacio (flank) is fantastic if you happen to encounter a good piece.

The Book Store you casually mention, is El Ateneo, a Temple to knowledge. for book lovers

Back