Family life in BA-Potential move to BA

skiutah said:
Thanks Philip!

We will be renting but, I have found it difficult seeing places available on line....any thoughts are appreciated.

Any idea on the private "social" clubs? is this how it works?

There are many clubs, all over town. CUBA, Vilas tenis club (also other sports), ... they are all quite expensive. You pay a fix entry fee and then a monthly fee. For this price usually your whole family is covered.

hannstew said:
This is one of the larger real estate companies in the zona norte. (San Isidro, Olivos, La Lucila, Martinez)

http://www.dicpropiedades.com.ar/

You should find all kinds of activities for the kids but keep in mind that these areas arent as easy to get public transportation to the inner city so you will definately need a vehicle, or two with 4 kids.

Regarding the cost of living, its not as cheap as you may have heard. You can expect to spend as much here as you do back home in most cases.

Recommending this inmobilaria is not really smart.

http://www.clarin.com/policiales/DIC-inmobiliaria-robo-hijo_del_dueno_0_466153607.html

You can probally also consider joining River Plate, especially if you like soccer. I think there charge is about 130 peso a month to get free entry to the games and use of the tennis pitches, basketball pitches, swimming pool, etc. I am sure they have a active club-culture for the boys as well.

You might have to pay a extra charge to rent the pitches but I am sure it´s included.

There must be special prices for the boys as well, but I am not famililar with that

Recommending this inmobilaria is not really smart

I hadnt heard of that.. thanks for the info..

Perry is a well known agent here in BA and can guide you in the right direction.

I really endorse the idea of a trial period, or, even better, sending a single parent down on an exploratory mission.

People are very different in their expectations and desires.

Buenos Aires is so big and varied, it can cover a lot of bases, and without knowing a lot more about what YOU want, its hard to know where you would like to live.

I, too, have two boys, although mine are older, but we would never, as a family, have even considered the northern suburbs- we are just not suburban type people, in any city on earth.
When I lived in LA, I lived right in the middle, and in Seattle, as well. My place in Buenos Aires in in Barrio Norte, and I would have no qualms whatsoever having my kids live there.
Its urban, much like friends of mine who are bringing up kids in apartments near central park in NYC.

Tastes vary.

If what you want is a suburban lifestyle, with a lot of time spent in the car, that is certainly available.
I have Argentine friends bringing up kids all over town, in dense and not so dense areas, and know people who grew up all over. None were murdered or kidnapped, they all lived normal childhoods, in many different neighborhoods.

I know a couple from Malaysia who live with their kids right in Palermo Soho, and love it. They can walk to most things, the kids take buses to school, and the subte is nearby. Of course, they also have a car, but they dont use it for everything.

If your transfer involves being paid an American or European salary in their currencies, you can probably live well. Not because it's much cheaper here-- it isn't, but because if you're making dollars or Euro enough is cheaper here to make it work.

Rents are cheaper than in major US or European cities and about the same as smaller cities on those continents. For a family of four used to a decent, upper middle class lifestyle (but not at all wealthy), expect to pay between 1500-3000 US dollars for a modest apartment for 4 depending on neighborhood, how much space you like and whether you want a doorman building or a bit of luxury. Maybe less if you bring your own furniture but doing that's not cheap.

Cars are more expensive. Plan to pay about double what you'd pay in the US for a used car.

You will very probably want to send your kids to a private school. Public education is poor even compared to bad US and European schools. Private schools are cheaper here but the better ones, like Lincoln, are not cheap.

Expect to pay about the same for food here. Some things are cheaper but many things are more expensive. We find mid range restaurants about the same price as in the US, but high end restaurants are cheaper. So if you're used to simple dinners out costing $50 US for 2, you'll find the cost similar here. If you go out for high end dinners--say $200US for 2, those are generally less, about $100 US dollars for 2 with much of the savings being the cost of wine.

Services are much cheaper--a bag of laundry is done for $5 and maids cost $5 per hour. Public transportation is also much cheaper.

But keep in mind that prices have been rising 25% or more per year. It used to be much cheaper here, but no more. Everyone here discusses how long this out of control inflation can go on before another crash. I would think hard about being here with my kids if I were in the camp that believes another crash is coming.

So read the many threads here that discuss the many issues here in BA. Inflation, crime, an unstable government......and read the ones about what a great city this can be. It's a very mixed bag. Then decide if you can afford to live well on what you can make and send your kids to a good school and make an informed decision. Good luck!

RE: Lincoln School.
Good, very safe and expensive.

I hope you employer will help with tuition.
1st year high school .... Tuition U$D 19,890 + A yearly fee U$D 1,989 + Capital Assessment U$D 6,400 .... U$D 28,279 with lunch, extras
and the school bus we are North of U$D 30k

marksoc said:
Depends a lot on lifestyle choices. Argentinians can live ok or even very good (one person) with USD 1,000 per month, expats need a lot more (they go to expensive restaurants, spend a lot more in rent, live in more expensive neighborhoods, etc etc). Anyway life here is less materialistic and more based on meetings with friends and social life, so if you adjust to the local culture in the end you spend you afternoon talking with somebody over a 2 dollar coffee instead of an expensive outing.

This is too high an estimate, for a family of four 500 pesos or so is plenty.

Am I the only one going to expensive restaurants filled with locals?

jb5 said:
Am I the only one going to expensive restaurants filled with locals?

No

I completely agree with what you said here, 110%

jb5 said:
We find mid range restaurants about the same price as in the US, but high end restaurants are cheaper. So if you're used to simple dinners out costing $50 US for 2, you'll find the cost similar here. If you go out for high end dinners--say $200US for 2, those are generally less, about $100 US dollars for 2 with much of the savings being the cost of wine.

I have found that most "upper middle end" restaurants suck and are completely overpriced. From Soho to cañitas there seem to be a bajillion psuedo haute cuisine pretenders that seem to believe that if they jack the prices sky high, and add a little garnish to each plate then the people will come. And it seems to be working. I rarely eat out at these places because I find it is too easy to drop $150 pesos a person and have food that is just blegh. Where as if I'm cooking for myself, $150 gets me a pretty good meal and wine.

On the other hand, I think Buenos Aires's high end restaurants are absolutely fantastic. World class cuisine for very good prices.

Reactions: jb5
Back