Family life in BA-Potential move to BA

skiutah

Registered
We are a family of 4 with two young boys. Active boys may I add. Several decisions come into play before opting for a transfer to BA.

1. Security for all. Does the family give up part of its normal personality due to security issues? dinner out, movies, recreational activities?
2. Neighborhoods to live in for safety and for proximity to the private school-Lincoln school.
3. Is the cost of living "really" that less in Argentina? I understand labor is less expensive and electronics are not but, the other more important items such as food.
4. Where we live now, much of the social circles revolve around our kids sports teams and such...I dont know if those leagues exist in BA. Someone told me that the social circles revolve around the private social clubs...is that true.

any immediate assistance is really appreciated.

1: Depends on your budget, if you decide to move to Zona Norte, Nunez, Belgrano or surrounding areas(which seems most likely for a family life) you could basically do the same things then you would in your home country.

6 burgers, french fries, coke and dessert will cost you around 60 dollars nowadays in a nice place in zona norte. I am not sure about sports and stuff for the boys but I doubt it will be a lot cheaper then in your home country

2: See above

3: Depends where you are from, but I wouldnt get your hopes up. With 4 boys you will NEED a car as well so no way to save on that

4: As far as I know it's only in the zona norte and countries where you can find that kind of clubs.

I would definitly consider to rent a house in a country, your living in a bubble but there is everything you find without you have to worry about violence, crime, etc. I personally would only do it 1,2 years because it's far from the real Argentine life

skiutah said:
1. Security for all. Does the family give up part of its normal personality due to security issues? dinner out, movies, recreational activities?
2. Neighborhoods to live in for safety and for proximity to the private school-Lincoln school.
3. Is the cost of living "really" that less in Argentina? I understand labor is less expensive and electronics are not but, the other more important items such as food.
4. Where we live now, much of the social circles revolve around our kids sports teams and such...I dont know if those leagues exist in BA. Someone told me that the social circles revolve around the private social clubs...is that true.

any immediate assistance is really appreciated.

1. This depends a lot on where you're coming from. Security is something you should always be conscious of but I can't see it affecting your going to dinner or the movies.

2. Lincoln School is in La Lucila i think. All of the suburbs around there, Martinez, San Isidro, etc, are very nice. Even in the north parts of the city Belgrano, Nunez, you shouldn't be too far from the schol.

3. Cost of living is less than comparable cities in the first world, just not that much less. Housing is definitely cheaper, labor is much cheaper, food is on average still slightly cheaper but certain food items are more expensive. I spend about US200/month on groceries for myself, some people spend a lot more, I know people who can get buy on <US50.

4. I'll leave this to someone else.

Thanks Philip!

We will be renting but, I have found it difficult seeing places available on line....any thoughts are appreciated.

Any idea on the private "social" clubs? is this how it works?

Phillp did a pretty good job of everything but I can answer #4.

I work with some kids here so I know about their activities. There are several clubs for kids to play sports such as soccer and tennis. These places are not had to find in whatever area you are living in. There are also plenty of other activities, for example, one of the boys I work with goes to a music class for children under 6 years old.

Most "clubs" require a membership, but these usually benefit the parents as well.

I hope that helps!

Rease,
thanks...If we move, I'll look them up. Any preference of neighborhood's for our family? near Lincoln school.

Know of any reliable realtors?

Thanks.

I would seriously suggest coming out and staying in a hotel or renting an apartment and touring the neighborhoods, houses while you're here. Renting a house over the internet from 6000mi away seems like a disaster waiting to happen

This is one of the larger real estate companies in the zona norte. (San Isidro, Olivos, La Lucila, Martinez)

http://www.dicpropiedades.com.ar/

You should find all kinds of activities for the kids but keep in mind that these areas arent as easy to get public transportation to the inner city so you will definately need a vehicle, or two with 4 kids.

Regarding the cost of living, its not as cheap as you may have heard. You can expect to spend as much here as you do back home in most cases.

If you want to spend atleast a year it might be worthwhile to check out moving sales. Herald has about 2,3 published every weekend. There are probally a lot more in Argentine newspapers

You can expect to spend as much here as you do back home in most cases

Depends a lot on lifestyle choices. Argentinians can live ok or even very good (one person) with USD 1,000 per month, expats need a lot more (they go to expensive restaurants, spend a lot more in rent, live in more expensive neighborhoods, etc etc). Anyway life here is less materialistic and more based on meetings with friends and social life, so if you adjust to the local culture in the end you spend you afternoon talking with somebody over a 2 dollar coffee instead of an expensive outing.

Back