Family Moving To Ba

LAWoman

Registered
Hello everybody,

we just got the news that we will be relocated to BA with our family. We have two kids age 5 and 3 by then. Both of them will go to a biligual school- german/spanish.

I wanted to ask you for your help concerning living, school and visa.

Living:
Can you recommend specific areas to live as a family?
We are searching for 3/ 3+ bedroom appartment or house and of course want to have a safe area where it is no problem to reach placesalso in walking distance with the kids. I didn´t find anything about areas better or worse for families so I would appreciate your recommendations a lot.

VISA:
My husband is going to work with a working visa. How easy or difficult will it be for me to get a working visa as a spouse? Any experience?

School:
Of course I have seen that there are some german speaking schools. I just wanted to ask for personal experience with it or things heard about them. Maybe you also know if one of them is located better or worse for living.

All of the schools are located close to my husbands work, so we are flexible concerning that.

Thank you so much for your help !
LAWoman

If you can be specific about the location where he will be working it will be easier to suggest a place that will get you good schools and a shorter commute for him.

Hi internationalguy, thanks for your fast answer!

It is in Munro and Villa Ballister- two offices....

Those are both way out beyond the city limits, in the northern suburbs.
I would recommend you look for housing in Martinez, San Isidro, or similar suburbs that are closer to the river from his work.
These are nice, middle class suburbs with lots of single family homes.
They are, however, a long way from the real excitement of the city. You will need a car, maybe two.
I have friends who live up there, its nice, safe, and quiet.
but its not the city, its definitely suburbs.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I will have a look at the map and check out the areas you recommend!
Thanks!
LAWoman

Hello LAWoman,
As you were told Munro and Villa Ballester are out of the city. there are a few German speaking schools in that area. The safest - and nicest areas to live for you would be what they call San Isidro " bajo ", Acasusso " bajo " Vicente Lopez " bajo ". Bajo is the area between Libertador Avenue and the river. You should be able to spot it easily on Google maps. You have public transportation that is ok, buses, cabs, train, but the whole area is very residential so a car for you and your kids would be an asset. The fact tht your husband will have a work visa, will not help you. You need to find a company willing to sponsor your visa. I studied German son years ago at Goethe Institut in the downtown and it is a place worth visiting for any German living here, at least every once in a while as they have a very nice library, concerts and other activities related to German culture. Hope you have a good time down here! I am local so feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I will try to help out. Wilkommen!

Agree with Nikad and others.
If you choose to live in the Martinez/Olivos/San Isidro area, a car will be essential to get to Munro. Not that the public transport is bad, it's a question of routes.
I believe the Goethe school is very good and from San Isidro is a short hop on the motorway.
It's a very pleasant and quite area on the whole, especially down by the river where we live.
http://www.goethe.edu.ar/index.php?PN=contenidos&idm=1&op=6

Thank you very much for all your replies! I am really thankful for it. For sure I will have many more questions and am happy if I can come back to you with them :)

Back